Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jack Sim HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Mon Aug 31 2009 01:21 AM
I know, I said the show was not worth watching, but I couldn't find anything else to do so.....
This guys (probably a paid actor) shows up at the pawn shop with a Wayne 70 gas pump. My wife and I jump out of the chair, it is one of the ones I sold Rick's Restoration years ago. The pawn buys it for $100.00.
He takes it to Rick's Restoration, Rick says, he was really surprised to see this pump. He describes how he can restore it. I'm expecting a Tokheim 39 when it is finished.
Still watching the show, will let you know what happens.

Well they rolled out a beautiful restored Wayne 70, don't know if it was the same pump, but that doesn't matter, it was beautiful.

One up for Rick.

Jack Sim

Jack Sim
just finished watching it..lol
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Mon Aug 31 2009 01:33 AM
It actually turned out a little better than the V39/Cavalier 72 transformation. Rick charged him $2,500 for the restoration. It looked good but was the wrong color. Looked like it should have been Polly. At least there getting closer to reality.
Posted By: coheley5 Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Mon Aug 31 2009 01:42 AM
Why did Rick put the repo dino on top ? A pump of that age should have an older globe not that big Dino.
After the BS of the other show, I QUIT watching Pawn Crap.
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 12:28 AM
ha ha ha ha. I knew some of you would see that too.

Jack, that's pretty amazing that was a pump you sold to them!! Just tells ya alot of this garbage is a complete set up.

I noticed that he didn't ask Rick how much it was worth.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 12:41 AM
...there's a website for the show:

http://www.history.com/content/pawn-stars

...there's also a discussion board for the show (near the bottom right of the page)...I can't get it to work, but I'm sure a more computer-savvy Oldgasser can...it sure would be fun to post the truth about the show on the discussion board and see the reaction... grin
What a joke. Last time I was flipping channels they had a beat up old coke machine - stripped inside, and I mean this machine looked like it was dropped from a 747. It MIGHT have been worth 100.00 MAX - if I remember right they paid the guy 1200 for it.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 01:14 AM
I remember being in Vegas 12 years ago at a high end store in the Vegas mall were Rick had his restorations for sale. The prices were crazy and the fantasy items were everywhere. They had embossed VMC44 pop machines done in Pepsi and 7-Up for $8,000. The sad thing is VMC never made these and people were buying them. Maybe in Vegas anything is possible.
Well, the way things are slowing down for me I need to find a high end store like that to sell my pumps in.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas
Sometime Free adv. has a tendency to bite ya in the Butt.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 11:02 AM
that show is horrible....
Posted By: Alex Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 03:04 PM
I was at that high end store in Caesers as well and saw the pumps. I spoke with the manager and sent her pictures of some of my pumps. She said they couldn't pay the prices they had them for sale in the store and said I understand. They had a single Wayne 70 in there for $4000. I told her I would bring my set of Texaco Wayne 70s in Fire Chief and Sky Chief with original globes and pump plates delivered for $4,000. They passed. And I would put my restored pumps up against anybodies. LOL
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Alex
I was at that high end store in Caesers as well and saw the pumps. I spoke with the manager and sent her pictures of some of my pumps. She said they couldn't pay the prices they had them for sale in the store and said I understand. They had a single Wayne 70 in there for $4000. I told her I would bring my set of Texaco Wayne 70s in Fire Chief and Sky Chief with original globes and pump plates delivered for $4,000. They passed. And I would put my restored pumps up against anybodies. LOL

...they're not in business to sell to the educated, just the dumb-dumbs...
Posted By: Alex Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Sep 01 2009 05:53 PM
Works for me. LOL They seem to sell things. I imagine the rent in that place is $$$$
Ever been in the hign end gun room @ Bass pro in Vegas. Set of Perrazzi trap,skket field for $350K. Lots of guns in the 30K & up range. I asked the guy in the fancy suit if they sold many and his reply was alot. He said he sold a set for $100K the day before.
Lots of high end $$ comes to vegas and people buy on a whim.
A good salesman never says he hasn't sold anything in the last few days ! But something has to pay the rent.
Posted By: dice. Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Sat Sep 05 2009 10:52 AM
that pump was a joke sign did not match the globe . had a gilbarco hose nozzle on it 39 tok hose out let cover and a polly paint job with a dino globe? and the add glasses look like they were made out of poster board and man were the parts hard to find and it only cost 2500.00..rick made him self look like a fool to any one who knows what there looking at. thats m/o...
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Sat Sep 05 2009 04:08 PM
Even my very first resto (two color Richfield Wayne 70) was better than that piece of s--t. Dave Folck
Posted By: spencer Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Sun Sep 06 2009 03:40 PM
According to the book CLASSIC SODA MACHINES by Jeff Walters, they did make a VMC44 embossed pepsi and 7up machines. Very rare. Spencer
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Mon Nov 02 2009 10:48 PM
...anyone see that Coke machine switcharoo episode last night? It was on again...

...has anyone tried to contact Rick's Restorations and call him out on this bull$#!+?
B.S. Enteraiment
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:20 AM
speaking of entertainment...

I wrote Rick today...found him online and sent him this:

Hi -

Are you the same 'Rick's Restorations' that was on the History Channel show 'Pawn Stars' last night?

...and I got this reply:

To:
Subject: Re: Pawn Stars?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:38:45 -0500

Yes

Thank you,
Rick Dale
www.ricksrestorations.com
(702) 655-5544

...so I sent him the following:

Hi Rick -

Wow...what a small world!

Hey, that was some Coca-Cola machine! I gotta tell you, it looked like a different machine when you were finished with it.

I mean that - it really looked like a different machine. It looks like you started with a trashed machine, maybe a Vendo?...and finished with a Cavalier. My buddies and I were trying to figure out how you got the embossed Coca-Cola logo to be smaller on the 'restored' machine than on the original. We all thought of the number of hours it would take to do all of that work (and how much it would cost), and we decided it would have been easier for you just to roll out a restored Cavalier, and pass that off as if you had transformed that rusty junk into another make/model Coke machine. That dope on Pawn Stars couldn't tell the difference, right?

Hey - I guess that's why you're on TV...

One more thing - that gas pump you restored for the Pawn Stars...funny, the man that sold that pump to you years ago is a friend of mine! (Small world, right?) Anyway, he was watching the show with his wife, and - in his words - he almost fell out of his chair when he saw that pump. His wife actually recognized it! I mean, what are the odds that a pump you bought got sold unrestored to someone, who just happened to bring it into that Pawn Shop - only for them to buy it and return it to you for restoration? They'd have to be astronomical!

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think the people bringing stuff into that cool pawn shop were bringing your stuff in there and just acting like it was their stuff. What a set-up that would be! The guys filming the show would get a plot, and you'd get a 30-minute commercial for your business on the History Channel. Heck, you could get your employees or friends to play the part of the 'seller' at the pawn shop - and you wouldn't even have to pay an actor!

But, hey - that would all be a big fraud, wouldn't it?

Best -

M. L.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:30 AM
D'OH !!!!....LOL
Mark good job! Any reply yet? I was thinking of having him restore some of my real junky pumps! Drop off a junk MS80 and get back a restored Wayne 60 LOL
Posted By: gasoildude Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 04 2009 03:41 AM
ROTFLMAO laugh Hey John I will take in my G&B 176 & get back a Roman laugh Heck its in the truck now see ya in a few days LoL eek
Posted By: Kosmo Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Fri Nov 06 2009 03:55 AM
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...anyone see that Coke machine switcharoo episode last night? It was on again...

...has anyone tried to contact Rick's Restorations and call him out on this bull$#!+?

I watched that and it began as a Vendo 39 and ended up a Cavalier 72. I was sitting thinking no way in hell that's the same machine. They aren't going to cut up that front door of the vendo 39 plus us metal to cover the 39 hole etc. Way too much work.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Fri Nov 06 2009 10:13 AM
Someone said it in the previous post.....it's entertainment!!! Look how much fun you guys are having???? Everyone knows that this stuff isn't real......it's not the world we normal people live in......and I use the term normal loosely!!! Look at all the REALITY shows and if you think that they aren't scripted then....as the old saying goes....I've got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona that I'd like to sell you!!! Laugh it off.....best comedy around.....Just me talking. Paul
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Fri Nov 06 2009 02:15 PM
Did you buy your Arizona ocean front property at the pawn shop!!! HaHaHaHa I am so funny I make myself laugh.
Mike
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Fri Nov 06 2009 03:25 PM
Funny? John Cleese dressed up in a french maids outfit, yelling "albatross!" (Monty Python) That's funny. These "pawn star" guys are just liars. History Channel? they lie about this what wont they do? Hmmmm "upper class twits" maybe the execs at the "History Channel " will engage in the upper class twit contest! tt
So is this the pump? I didn't see the episode.
http://ricksrestorations.ning.com/photo/wayne-70-2?context=album&albumId=3898720%3AAlbum%3A578
Another link.
http://ricksrestorations.ning.com/photo/albums/unrestored-items-ready-for

If it is I found this link on a board on the History Channels web site. Someone in the "Coke Machine" thread mentioned it and said this is the pump and it's still listed for sale as an unrestored pump. If this is the pump one thing interesting I think I noticed is if you go to the "Events" page of Ricks site and click on "tv" where they talk about the pawn show it looks like this pump was added to their site the same day the episode was to air. Maybe there's another reason that someone who knows websites can explain but to me it looks like...Hmmmmm?
The tv link. Look at the dates.
http://ricksrestorations.ning.com/events/event/listByType?type=tv
History Channel Pawn Stars discussion forum.
http://boards.history.com/category/Pawn-Stars/520000029
If all of this stuff is faked...how can you trust the History Channel?
chris
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 02:22 AM
...no reply from Rick - big surprise, huh?...what a coward, won't even defend himself...the people responsible for this show are liars, plain and simple...the facts speak for themselves...

...Paul, I'm damn near flabbergated by your post - I would think you of all people would have no patience for this fraud passed off as fact...

...if you read the Pawn Stars discussion boards (which apparently have been censored to a great extent by the History Channel) there are quite a few people who's intelligence has been insulted by this network of late...and that's a shame, because at one time you could learn quite a bit about actual history watching this network...not a bad thing in this day and age of limited attention spans and portable video games...we're 'entertained' too often and 'educated' too infrequently...

...I wrote the History Channel the following - maybe they'll respond:

Hi - On your show 'Pawn Stars', the Pawn guys dropped off a junk Vendo 39 model Coke machine at Rick's Restorations to be restored. When they returned to pick up the restored item, Rick presented them with a Cavalier 72 machine as if he had 'restored' the old one. There is quite a bit of discussion about this on the Pawn Stars board. I had contacted 'Rick' and after he confirmed he was the Rick on the show, he failed to answer my questions regarding the obvious fraud perpetrated on Pawn Stars. I truly expected nothing less (or more) from him. What I want to know is what the History Channel is going to do about it? If obvious fraud is being passed off as fact, what does that do to the credibility of the network? Seriously, I would appreciate a REAL response that's not corporate, patronizing BS boilerplate, and actually addresses my concerns. Otherwise, maybe a name change is in order - 'The Made-Up History Channel'.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 02:24 AM
Originally Posted By: oldgoaly
Funny? John Cleese dressed up in a french maids outfit, yelling "albatross!" (Monty Python) That's funny. These "pawn star" guys are just liars. History Channel? they lie about this what wont they do? Hmmmm "upper class twits" maybe the execs at the "History Channel " will engage in the upper class twit contest! tt

WORD...
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 05:09 AM
All these channels are running out of ideas. Even the DIY channel has restored to destroying houses rather than teaching you how to fix them.

Where are reruns of the Mickey Mouse Club shows?

Jack
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 10:25 AM
Mark, Apparently you missed my point. It's not that I accept this type of thing, it's simply that I do not have the time or energy to champion a cause like this. I am passionate about life, family and friends. My restorations are real, as you of all people know. All this stuff is just smoke and mirrors out of Hollywood. NOT REAL.....I enjoy our hobby and especially like educating newbies about the things I understand to be real. Your Friend, Paul.....Oh...a big "Hi" to Mike....you know who you are!
Posted By: jkyocom Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 07:14 PM
Did you notice at the end when they went to test the bullwhip....
They used a different whip.

Just another example how mainsteam America will eat up this BS, while they allow tons of smoke being blown up their a$$e$.
I want to know when do we get to see an appearance from
"MISS DIRECTION"...or "MISS INFORMATION" on the show.

The bad thing is the damage it does when you go to buy this junk.

I tell you one thing ....Their brother in laws and relatives and the crackhead on the corner they use as actors, can't act their way out of a wet paper bag!!!!!
Posted By: jkyocom Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 07:23 PM

That show is about as beleivable as this before and after pic.

One more lie......if the guy is in the resto biz....why would he have said
that finding the parts for that pump was going to be tough? THAT was a flat out, bald faced, LIE.
Posted By: petropumps Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Wed Nov 11 2009 09:04 PM
He didn't even FIND all the parts for that pump...the nozzle receiver was off a G&B 96, the hose cover was off a Tok. 39, and he didn't even bother putting a vent cover on the side...he just put three bolts in the holes where the vent cover WOULD have gone and polished the heads. What a joke. Not to mention the color scheme was wrong, the ad glasses were wrong....I could go on. I would die if my name was put on that gosh-awful "restoration".
Posted By: Petroholic Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN - PAWN SHOW ON HISTORY CHANNEL - Thu Nov 12 2009 01:38 AM
I saw the show also and was laughing at how Rick was going on about how bad the pump was and "it's a real pile" Nothing was hard to find on that pump and the thing was in nice shape.We all have restored ***** way worse than that.What a joke!!!
Joe
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk