Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: zooman Some pictures of the pump - Sun Sep 27 2009 11:45 AM

This is the pump itself from the T176 I am restoring. I am going to keep the insides intact when I put it back together. I wanted to clean it up and understand how it actually pumped. What was amazing is that the leather seal on the plunger is still in great shape.
Posted By: zooman Re: Some pictures of the pump - Sun Sep 27 2009 11:48 AM

The plunger
Posted By: zooman Re: Some pictures of the pump - Sun Sep 27 2009 11:59 AM

The pump casing where the plunger above resides.
The only thing I replaced new when I put the pump back together was new nuts, washers and cotter pins. The shaft that the handle fits over was severely pitted and i used JB Weld to fill in the pitted areas and sanded it down.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Some pictures of the pump - Sun Sep 27 2009 04:16 PM
It is best to oil the cups and polish the inside of the cylinder before rebuilding.
A drill & 0000 steel wool will polish the inside nice without loosing metal.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Some pictures of the pump - Sun Sep 27 2009 05:17 PM
I haven't done a gas pump, but lots of hand water pumps. I've honed the brass cylinders with the finest grit stones, this and a new leather makes them work like new, pumping out water on the 1st stroke. I use a Ammco flat stones, not the ball stone type. It's funny to see "city folk" come and pump water, like cartoon characters they "pump like crazy" water comes out the top sprays them. Just thinking out loud anyone used one for a water pump? or to water the yard? Take care! tt
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk