Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 56Delray light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 04:20 PM
Ok a very simple question about lighting for a pump. I am planning on wiring up my pump (Tokheim 300) so the lights work to display the face of the computer and the globe. I wondered if CFL (compact flourecent) would give a nice look? It would be a "brighter and whiter".

The second part of the question is what size bulbs are you using on your pumps? Regular bulbs sizes are OK. I imagine a globe needs the right size bulb to look good. Too big and the image would be washed out. Too small and you might be able to see it well. My globe is a repo with a plastic housing if that is important in your answer.

Let me know what works well for you.

Thanks
Posted By: EJ396 Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 04:27 PM
I use 25 watt incandecent bulbs. I have thoughtr about the CFL. but have not tried them out.
Posted By: s932 Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 04:29 PM
I use those new florecent bulbs and i like the 60 watt brightness that only uses 13 watts. These bulbs also keep the globe bodies cool. The only draw back is if you have your pump on a dimmer switch those bulbs wont work.
Posted By: r49th Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 04:34 PM
For the ad glass panels and globes I go for a 15 watt light bulb. It is surprising how much heat anything larger can generate and the glass can get quite hot. These don't seem to be all that much dimmer.
My outdoor pump has the Small flourescent bulbs [on a timer] and they work fine.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 04:54 PM
I like the CFLs because their light seems to be more even. I use the 40s. I do have a 60 in a Bennett 541 and it lights up the globe, faces and ad glass nicely with one bulb.
These pumps have CFLs in them. The Richfield is the one with only one 60 in it.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 10:45 PM
The 40 watt CFL's will suffice for the faces, I like the 60 watt ones for the globes. Matt, sell me some of that garbage to free up some room in your garage. LOL
Posted By: Alex Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sat Nov 14 2009 11:13 PM
I don't know if it is an urban myth, but I have been told by a couple of electricians not to use CFLs with a dimmer. Seems to be an issue of shorting out at the switch. Again, not sure if true or urban myth.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sun Nov 15 2009 01:13 AM
Phil,
I do not need room in my garage right now. There is ten more pumps on the other side and my 56 GMC still fits in.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: light bulbs for pumps - Sun Nov 15 2009 03:00 AM
Alex looks like one for Myth Busters smile

Phil thats a good idea so the globe can light up nice & bright smile
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk