Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sat Nov 14 2009 06:29 PM
Does any one have a Union 76 6' ball on display? Sure would like to see a picture. I am having second thoughts on how it would look sticking up in the woods probably next to a station that is a lot older than the sign. Any pictures would be appreciated
Thanks
Rick Nelson
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sat Nov 14 2009 08:06 PM
rick there is one down the road from me on its original pole.if you want i can get a pic.otherwise i think its"hang it on a wall"
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sat Nov 14 2009 09:56 PM
I was hoping to see a 76 ball in some ones collection. To see how it fit in with all the other flat sign posts. This is the full 6' ball not a wall mount sign. Thanks for the offer OLDNFUELISH but I have pictures of them at stations but have never seen one in a collection.
Posted By: porcelain-neon Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sat Nov 14 2009 11:45 PM
I have only seen one...pictured in a Calif. collection.It's on this site somewhere, I don't know how to find it though.They are way too big for most people, that's why no one has one to show.Most are 8 foot diameter. If you decide you don't want it, drop me a line.
Greg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 12:08 AM
Hope you have a Large building.
Bill Stevens in San Jose has/had one in his shop, last time I was there.
Posted By: huskybob Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 12:25 AM
HSL....... here's an interesting read:

http://www.savethe76ball.com/
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 12:44 AM
Whooooaa thats a cool web site. thanks bob
We live up in the hills where it would only be visable at night as a large glowing orange object in the hills. Do you think any one would notice it? No thats what i'm telling my wife!
We had a woman drive up to our place one time to drop her kid off to play with our son. I found her down the road confused with there being a gas station in the woods on a road that lead nowhere. I think she was wondering what kind of a nut her kids friends parents were.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 01:04 AM
...as rare as they are to find in collections (thanks to the efforts of Unocal), I'd be loathe to hang one anywhere outdoors, especially in the woods...one good ice storm and some falling tree limbs and you'd have a lot of worthless broken plastic on your hands...
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 01:50 AM
I was actualy more worried about bullets. Would a bullet shatter the ball or just put a hole through it?
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 03:05 AM
I would think it would put a hole through it. The exit might be a little bigger though eek
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 12:47 PM
Rick, I Have a lighted 6' 76 ball hanging from an old Standard fluted pole, I will try to get a PIC and send it to your E-mail this week, I haven't tried to post any PICS on this site yet - shame on me! It is the type that is shaped like a contact lense. Brady
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Sun Nov 15 2009 02:09 PM
1petrofan
I would like to see the picture but this is a actual 6'? sphere ball. I am not sure but I think Santa clause is bringing me a contact lens type 76 sign. At least I drove her to the guys house and she got out and dealt with him. And I THINK I have been good this year
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Mon Nov 16 2009 02:53 AM
Rick, it is a six foot spear. I took Pics today, I will try to get them to you Monday. I did pretty good on mine, I got the sign and the pole for $200. Brady
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Mon Nov 16 2009 01:58 PM
All this talk about pictures and I don't see a one. Your killing me!!! Email me the pictures and I'll be more than happy to post, PLEASE.
Mike
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Mon Nov 16 2009 02:12 PM
Try this....
http://www.gassigns.org/union.htm
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Tue Nov 17 2009 05:19 PM
http://img697.imageshack.us/g/samplet.jpg/

Hope this worked... Brady

OK - my first attempt at loading a PIC. I did accidently include the Sample Pic that was loaded on the program.
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Tue Nov 17 2009 07:41 PM
Posting these pictures for Brady (1PetroFan) All the canopy signs on the shop and 76 sign light up.

That would be cool at night. Thanks for sharing,
Mike

Attached picture 76.jpg
Attached picture 76 2.jpg
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Tue Nov 17 2009 09:03 PM
Thanks for the picture! I would say the sign looks just perfect there, just like peas and carrots. Sure do like the canopy signs
Posted By: itsagas Re: Union 76 ball 6' how are they displayed - Wed Nov 18 2009 01:27 AM
Cool, Now we need a picture at night!! That must light up the neighborhood.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk