QUESTION

Posted by: Jack Sim

QUESTION - Sun Nov 15 2009 10:44 PM

Can anyone please tell me what the word "Pre-Visible" means?

Jack Sim
Posted by: archer2

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 01:06 AM

Well, pre would mean before. And visible means capable of being seen. So I would say it is before you were able to see something. Perhaps like terminology that is being used now that you were not aware of.
Posted by: gaspumpgary

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 03:36 AM

Invisible!
Posted by: gasmansgp

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 05:31 AM

Dates the gas pumps used before the late teens.. and twenties. Thereafter pumps, in most cases, had a glass cylinder to allow the gasoline to be viewed. Jack, you of all people should know this?
Posted by: jkyocom

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 05:53 AM

Curb Pump.
That term has been around since I started doing this.
Posted by: Oldgas

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 06:01 AM

I think Jack may be trying to make the point that some "Pre-visibles" were used at the same time as visibles and even electrics. The visible pump was really a marketing invention to assure gasoline buyers of purity and accurate measured volume. In applications where those issues were not important, as on a farm or industry, pumps with no glass cylinder or sight glass stayed in use for many decades.
Posted by: Ohio Oil

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 06:46 AM

It's in the common man's petroliana dictionary, you'll find it right after lubester.

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 06:47 AM

I beleive Pre-visible for curb pump, meter for computer, lubester and other terms were used in the hobby's infantcy for lack of the correct terminology.
Posted by: Ohio Oil

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 07:02 AM

What's a clockface pump?

What's a Roman gas pump?

Is there such a thing as a gas pump at all, maybe they're all just petroleum product dispensers. smile
Posted by: hillsideshortleg

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 08:33 AM

I think the "Clock Face Pump" was invented for the game show "the Price is Right" as seen in earlier post.
Posted by: Ryan Fortner

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:26 AM

They are all gas "tanks" as my better half would say!!
Posted by: gasoildude

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:40 AM

I think Joe hit it "Curb Pump". I will add hand pumped or cranked fuel dispenser smile
Posted by: Dick Bennett

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 11:22 AM

Pre-Visible: GENERIC term used Loosely to describe any 1-5 gal. pump used for dispensing liquids @ hardware stores, paint stores, commercial, carriage houses, stations etc. & not having a 5/10 gal glass cylinder. Some of these type pumps were still being made into the 50's as a low cost way of pumping liquids.
Curb pump: any pump having a cover that could be locked when not in use that sat on curb next to roadway.
Lubester: GENERIC term used Loosely for any oil/grease/thinner dispenser found around old stations/farms/hardware & paint stores. Mostly used to describe 15-60 gal tanks w/ 1qt & 1gal pumps on top.
[ BOWSER was the only company that ever used the word LUBE-STER for a product they made/sold.]

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 02:11 PM

Without going to your Gas Pump ID book, which of these pumps are "pre-visible" which is a "post-visible" and which is a visible. Remember, you cannot look these up, you must do it from memory, and if anyone truthfully get all correct, email me and I will send you a free copy of my Air book.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8.

Jack Sim

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 02:23 PM

Ohio,
If the pumping unit is in the cabinet it is a pump, if the pumping unit is in the tank, it is a dispenser.....for electric computer cabinets anyway......
Actually if the pumping unit/guts are removed, you don't have a restored pump, you have a restored cabinet.
There are also what are called satellites...
used to fill other side tank on trucks.

Now is this considered a rotory hand pump or a rotory clockface pump?,
It is a pump w/ a clockface...but not old enough to pre-date visibles. I guess most would call it a farm pump....but then it might be called a dispenser,,,I don't know , I have never seen the liturature.

Even though this pre-dates visibles by several years, I don't refer to something like this as pre-visible.

In all my days of doing this, Pre-Visible, to me, means... The pumps that came out just before the introduction of visible measure...such as a
CURB PUMP, THAT COULD HAVE BEEN RETROFITTED W/ A CYLINDER.
Pre-visible could, by terminology pertain to ANY pump made before they had glass cylinders on pumps to display amount being delivered.....but then the first Tokheim pump had a glass dome ...is it considered a visible?
Seriously... this speculation could go on indefinatly!!!!!

They are what the manufacturer named them.

Untill I came up with a working clock unit to replace missing units,
has the term "REPLACEMENT CLOCK" ever been used before?
That is what I finaly decided to call the ones built to fit in place of an original clock unit.
They are not reproductions or copies or counterfiet since the guts/frames are of my own design.

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:59 PM

No takers on the quiz?

JS
Posted by: Dick Bennett

Re: QUESTION - Mon Nov 16 2009 11:23 PM

Give them time Jack. Should be a few that can do it.
It takes time looking on the internet to ID the pumps w/o using your book !
ROTFLMAO

Re: QUESTION - Tue Nov 17 2009 06:20 AM

They are what the manufacturer named them.

Re: QUESTION - Tue Nov 17 2009 01:00 PM

Joe,
Then why do we call them "Pre-visibles" if the manufacturers never call tham that? And how can we call anything "pre" until the next thing comes out?

JS
Posted by: travis_towle

Re: QUESTION - Tue Nov 17 2009 09:51 PM

3,4,6,8 I could class as pre-visi - maybe even 2 & 7.

Never seen 5 before - but I would bet there is glass under the top - so visi?

1 and 7 look like post visi grease pumps or shop pumps.

------------

I usually class any pump that is like 2,4,6,8 right off the bat as pre-visis when I am in the field.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Re: QUESTION - Tue Nov 17 2009 11:43 PM

Travis,
You got 2 out of 7 right. I know there is 8, but I am questioning the date on #5 that I put on the pump in my book as being correct.

If my article in CTO is correct, we can assume that 1917 was the beginning of the visible pumps as we call them.

Travis, you were 33 years off on one of the pumps.

Anyone else want to try?

JS
Posted by: philmccauley

Re: QUESTION - Wed Nov 18 2009 12:12 AM

I would have to get the book out. LOL