Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: grabber Dixie Globe/lense question... - Mon Nov 16 2009 02:55 PM
I recently purchased a globe (plastic) w/ 2 Dixie lenses (the newer red/white/blue color scheme...I believe these stations were generally in Georgia...does anyone know if these lenses have been repop'ed and if so how to tell an original from a repop? I just wanted to make sure as I purchased them as being originals. Thanks everyone...I don't know much about globes and dont want to get BURNED smile
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Mon Nov 16 2009 03:10 PM
I don't know much about globes either. But I read a lot. One of the price guides shows a picture of a globe that appears to be a fantasy piece combining elements of a Dixie & Reble globe.

Some of the real globe guys will know a whole lot more about it than I do; I've never seen an original of either one.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Mon Nov 16 2009 03:35 PM
They do make those in a repop. The repos should have a date on them the originals will not. Hope this helps smile
Posted By: grabber Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Mon Nov 16 2009 03:35 PM
Right on...I know the Dixie gas globes are from the 70s or early 80s I believe...they're not very old but were originals (made for Dixie gas co's)... I really wasnt sure if they had been popped though...like almost everything else on the planet unfortunately...there's 2 pump plates as well (tall & tin)...Thanks for your input.
Posted By: chadrock00 Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:29 PM
There was a set on the bay a couple weeks ago that were the real deal and I think they went super cheap.
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Tue Nov 17 2009 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: gasoildude
They do make those in a repop. The repos should have a date on them the originals will not. Hope this helps smile

Is this statement for the question asked about the Georgia Dixie Co. globe or the fantasy globe mentioned by Old Iron? I didn't realize that the Georgia Dixie globe had been reproduced. I thought they were all originals because of them still being used in south Georgia, or at least they were about 5 years ago if memory serves correctly....Dale
Posted By: grabber Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Tue Nov 17 2009 01:03 AM
This question is about the Georgia Dixie Co...I purchased a set on ebay recently (housed in a plastic globe)...I didnt think they had been reproduced but just wanted to ask to see (I purchased them as originals)...I heard they were still being used up until a few years ago...The lenses are so darn nice they almost looked new (thats what through me off smile Thanks for the input...
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Tue Nov 17 2009 01:23 AM
Ok the Georgia ones I dont believe been reproduced so you should be safe there smile
Posted By: grabber Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Tue Nov 17 2009 02:19 AM
Super groovy! Sometimes when you look at something and its nice (almost too nice) you start to wonder lol...Thanks again!
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... - Wed Nov 18 2009 04:57 PM
If this is the globe with the shield logo red/white/blue it has never been repopped. Scott Benjamin
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk