Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Old Iron What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:53 PM
I warned you guy's I had a few questions to ask the national forum. Here is one that really bothers me when someone says "its just a tin sign". Which is more rare, early porcelain or early tin signs? I have several of both and in my opinion the early tin (teens and twentys) are more rare as survivors than some early porcelain. Your thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, I have no interest in value at this point; thars another subject.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:57 PM
i agree that early tin is more rare.tin just could not hold up like porcelian,especialy when its outside or laying in the dirt.jmo
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:30 PM
I'd agree with that as well. It's just that the porcelain is always more desirable, hence the "it's just tin" mind set. Old is old in my book. If it looks and good and is in nice shape, I like it all.
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:48 PM
I like them all, well except for plastic. It doesn't matter to me if it's porcelain or tin, just as long as it is looks good and priced right(CHEEP!)tt
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 11:09 PM
WELL WHEN IT COMES TO COCA-COLA BUTTON SIGNS FOR EXAMPLE, ALLAN PETRETTI AUTHOR OF THE C-C COLLECTIBLES PRICE GUIDES PUBLISHED FOR SEVERAL DECADES HAS ALWAYS LISTED PORCELAIN VERSIONS MORE VALUABLE THAN THEIR TIN COUSINS. I COULD NEVER FIGURE THIS OUT SINCE PORC VERSIONS LASTED FOR MANY YEARS AND TIN ONES GOT WORN AND FADED IN SHORT ORDER. I SHOULD THINK THAT TIN SIGNS WERE THE TRUE SURVIVORS HERE WHETHER HUNG OUTSIDE OR INSIDE....MANY TIN SIGNS WERE THROWN AWAY, REPAINTED FOR SOMETHING ELSE OR JUST BUTCHERED AND PLACED IN A LOCATION MOST OF THE TIME THAT WOULD RUIN THEIR ORIGINAL VALUE. I'VE HEARD STORIES OF HOW THE PORC BUTTONS WERE USED FOR SLEDDING DOWN HILLS AND MIXING CEMENT IN TOO....BUT I BET THEY WERE STILL FAIRLY GOOD IF NOT TOTALLY ABUSED. LOL!
Posted By: jkyocom Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 11:19 PM
Most advertising was mass produced. The smaller companies that advertised on smaller scales would have produced
less signage therefore making it more rare than the mass produced stuff.
How many survived over the years would also determine rarity.

For instance there are several Pan-Am porcelain pump plates out there, but almost no Pan-Am "Commando" Tin pump signs.
The porcelains are older.

Keep in mind though rarity does not compute to dollars.
It is desire that fuels that fire.
I have a globe that may be the only one left in existance but it is not valued as much as some of the mass produced
"popular" oil company globes......"perceived value"
To me, the globe is priceless, to some worthless.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: What's more Rare? - Mon Nov 16 2009 11:43 PM
Originally Posted By: jkyocom

Keep in mind though rarity does not compute to dollars.
It is desire that fuels that fire.

My Old Dodge is a perfect example of that.
Posted By: hotcidr Re: What's more Rare? - Tue Nov 17 2009 01:04 AM
I've so often found that many of the early tin signs have wonderful graphics especially the foreign signs. I have a number of early tin signs am always amazed when I offer some tin for sale how many people say "I only collect porcelain". I think they are missing out
Posted By: gasoildude Re: What's more Rare? - Tue Nov 17 2009 01:21 AM
I will agree with the tin not holding up as well. But as for age there are some old porcelain signs that are rare & valuable. But the porcelain did hold up a lot better to the elements. Then as hotcidr stated the more graphic wither tin or porcelain the more valuable they are smile
Posted By: Old Iron Re: What's more Rare? - Tue Nov 17 2009 02:55 PM
Hi Guys,

You will get no arguement from me about the value of porcelain versus tin or the graphic versus plain. Known it for years but ignored it when laying out displays for public viewing.

I don't limit myself. I display it all, paper,cardboard,masonite,wood,plastic (mostly light up),tin,glass and porcelain. I do it because I think they all make for an interesting display and a presentation of the history of gas and oil advertising.

I'll keep on displaying early,plain tin right next to flashy $1,500 porcelain even when I have to explain why it's there; rarity and history, not value. But then most of my displays have a strong leaning toward the presentation of history.Just my way of doing it.

Thank you all for your comments. I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base when I point out the rarity of early tin.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk