Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mike Barton Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 05:12 AM
I have 2 Gilmore Oil co trucks 1940 and a 1941. One is restored and the other is slowly getting there. I am looking for some pictures of there trucks so that I can see the signage on the sides and doors and what the flags on the back of the cabs looked like. I am trying to make them as original as possible. My trucks are red with cream on the upper half. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mike Barton.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 05:51 PM
Welcome to oldgas
Here ya go. Ted

Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 05:54 PM
BTW Where is valley center? Ted
Posted By: badgas Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 06:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil
BTW Where is valley center? Ted

Appears to be slightly northeast of Escondido.
Posted By: Mike Barton Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 07:56 PM
Ted
Thank You for the pictures. The truck with the tank trailer at the terminal is the same truck that I have that is restored. Maybe not the exact truck but same Make and model White WA20. The other truck that I am working on is a 1940 White 704 which has the same style tank body that the Ford truck has.

Valley Center is a little bit east of the 15 between Temecula and Escondido.
Thanks for the pictures if anybody has more I'd love to see them.
Mike Barton
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 08:02 PM
Post pictures of yours. It's cool to see the done version as well as in progress. If you have trouble posting pictures send them to me and i can post them for you. Ted
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Tue Dec 01 2009 11:45 PM
Cool pics. Love the old tanker in the 3rd pic smile
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Thu Dec 03 2009 05:15 AM
Hello, Mr. Barton. Might this be your truck shown on flickr?...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94957089@N00/3638546153/in/set-72157619932853868/

Wish I could help out with some photos but I lack shots of the forties era tankers. To my knowledge, the cabs would have the truck number painted on the door just below the window (ex; No. 286) and maybe Gilmore Oil Co on the front bumper. Checker flags with one of two-types of lion designs in the center were mounted on both sides of the cab. The tanks would have Gilmore on both sides and from what I recall- Gilmore Record Breaker or maybe Gilmore Red Lion on the back of tank (doors). I have also seen them without anything on the back. I'd try contacting the AF Gilmore archivist who works at the Farmer's Market in Los Angeles. They'd likely have several shots/angles of forties era tankers.

I'll look through some paper stuff to see if I am forgetting an image I might have. The photographs I have from this era are mainly custom tankers that were for show and never were transport trucks.

Good luck and post pics of the progress!

Here's one like your truck...

Neon tubed tanker...

Streamliner...

Posted By: Mike Barton Re: Gilmore Oil Co truck pictures - Thu Dec 03 2009 06:33 AM
Yes that is my truck. In June I took it to the Gilmore car show back at the Farmers Market. I talked to there archivist and he is also trying to come up with some door and side pictures. I just saw this site and figured somebody has a picture laying around. After my trucks left Gilmore or after Gilmore left one became General Petroleum and then a mobilgas distributor and the other truck was a Texaco distributor. They didn't spend a lot of time sanding the doors between painting so when I sandblasted them it was like going back in time 1 layer of paint at a time.

thanks for the pics
Mike Barton
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk