Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bustermonty Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 07:43 PM
Don't hate the player hate the game. Got on the road at 6:30 this morning to pick up what is the prize of my collection. He got a real kick out of telling people I paid $7000 for the sign. I got it for less. Someone even offered $8000.
And another told him it was worth up to $12,000. I had a couple of sleepless nights waiting for his phone call to tell me he took another offer. As he said, a deal is a deal. A true man of his word. He's thrilled and I'm ecstatic. Here is where it will hang. Going to have a bunch of signs for sale real soon LOL
Posted By: pollyman Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 07:47 PM
I was drooling over this one. Great Sign. Congrats!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:03 PM
Looks great Greg, glad it found a good home. Now how about some "Black Friday sale prices" on some of your Sinclair stuff?

On a side note, anyone know who got the Sinclair coupons sign that was on ebay this past week?
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:06 PM
Awesome buy Greg! Early bird gets the worm...
Wes I bought the sinclair sign SORRY! :-)
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:18 PM
So you are one of those people who always asks to end the auction early!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:22 PM
IF ya don't ask, you don't get LUCKY !
I've been Lucky a few times.
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:53 PM
Glad to see you got it. Ted
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 09:02 PM
Great looking sign, I'm glad that someone here got it. Thanks for sharing photos of it.
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 09:07 PM
well said dick!!!

it only takes that 1 time to make you forget all those rejections!!!!!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 09:43 PM
WoW..that is a handsome looking sign.
Is it doublesided?
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:07 PM
KZ I don't always ask as most of what I buy is sniped. Either I get it or I don't.
When it's special, I go all out to get it as several others tried to do. You really won't get it if you don't ask for it and then back it up with cash and drive to pick it up ect..

Yes it's a 2 sided flange sign. 10"x14"
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 12:37 AM
Awesome sign Greg !!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 12:42 AM
Don't hate the player hate the game! Now that is funny! So what made him change his mind? He replied and posted in the ad he wanted to let it run than ends it.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:57 AM
Welcome to the Club--

ha!

Glad you got it brother, hopefully see you and Tom at Columbia this year...later
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Don't hate the player hate the game! Now that is funny! So what made him change his mind? He replied and posted in the ad he wanted to let it run than ends it.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

A bird in hand is better than a feather in the nest. He likely didn't know what it was worth, therefore went for the cash he thought would be better than then letting the auction running it's course and getting less...He gambled and likely lost. Oldgasser 1 Seller 0
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 01:59 AM
bustermonty:
Is the sign you have pictured above the one you are getting or another sign? The one pictured looks like a flat sign to me. But I could be wrong.

Congrats on the flange. Very nice...Dale
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 02:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Jarvis

It just baffles me why someone will end an auction early, If they get a decent offer and reject it, that same person is going to be bidding at the end, There is no doubt auctions that end earyl are NOT getting the full value. Unless it is one of those cheap B---ards who complain about ebay fees smile
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 02:03 AM
Very nice buy!!!! Now we all know that you are a player LOL laugh wink
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 02:15 AM
KZ, When i see something i really want i ask if they will add a buy it now or will sell it now. You have to because so many others do it. About 99% of the time i get "i want to let it run" and i respond with a "thanks, i just want a chance to buy it now or at the end of the auction". Most of the time i get it less than i offer so i am glad they let it run. LOL

Glad you got it Greg!
Posted By: powerlube Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 02:42 AM
I am guilty of offering sellers money to end the auction. If its an item I have to have, I will continue to bid. Most items I don't bid on if the seller rejects my offer because I am a impulse buyer...
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:18 AM
Very nice sign. Thanks for sharing.
Mike
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 05:07 AM
Ditto what Mike said, nice sign Greg.
Posted By: Fueluser Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 11:55 AM
I was going to pass on this topic (making an offer and ending the auction early) because it really gets me mad thinking about it. Not the high dollar items, because I can't afford those but here is and example from last week.

Seller had two porcelain angle lights with a buy it now price of $45.00 opening bid of 9.95. On the opening day I bid the 9.95 price and the buy it now price went away. In his ad he said he had it a long time and had a buy it now price so it would sell quickly. My bid made the seller have to wait the 7 days. Well on day 3 the seller ended the auction after no movement on the price so I figure 1) either he was worried he wouldn't get his $45 or 2) someone offered the $45 though, I'm not sure if anyone looking after I bid would have known there was a buy it now price. I thought that was pretty poor business practice and told him so. If he wanted a certain amount guaranteed he should have put a reserve. And if it makes any difference I am a snipe bidder so my bid never comes until the end. (have to admit I'm cheap but my loosing bids always bumps up the closing bid lots of times smile )

Anyway if its normal items which I think I would have a chance at winning and the seller repeatedly ends the auction early I've pretty much blackballed the seller.

Oh by the way.... Killer sign. Color me jealous.

John
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:25 PM
It's still, all about who wants to get the most and who wants to buy the cheapest,,you were hoping to get them for $9.95 didn't want to pay $45.00, until you lost it and you had the first option and passed,,, ( you snooze you loose ),,can't complain if you had the option to buy it now, FIRST ! It's like Colin said, bird in the hand is better than a feather in the nest...( or something like that ha,ha,ha,, )
Posted By: cmeon66 Re: Johnson Sign Part 2 - Thu Dec 03 2009 03:40 PM
Great sign, glad that a real collector got it.You said you may be selling some signs soon, lets see some. Norm Huff
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk