Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: drgaspump Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 01:16 AM

Wayne 576 and Wayne 730 clock Mech.will not interchange.They look the same on the out side but the 730 is the electric version and 576 is the Hand crank.
Posted By: st.rod Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 01:49 AM
OKAY!

Did I miss the question as to would they?
Posted By: drgaspump Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 02:38 AM
Re: Wayne 576 [Re: gas pump hobbyist]
jkyocom
Veteran Member

Loc: GA Last spring, by mistake, I built an extra clock for a # 576
and still have it in stock if anyone is in need of a replacement unit for the Wayne #576.
That's 576,,,,, yep.....576.... that's what the book says.....# 576.

Posted By: jkyocom Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 04:32 PM
First of all I am in no way offended or angry about your post.
What you are working with and what I am working with have some big differences.
The 576's I built these for had absolutely NO GUTS.
All he had was the cast section, top, base, etc.
Thus the need for clock units.
I know the originals are different clocks and will not interchange,
I had stated that they were different and never claimed a 576 and a 730 WOULD interchange & work properly.

Originally Posted By: jkyocom
It would fit but wouldn't be correct
576 is a single hand clock that goes from 0 to 20
The 730 has two hands and goes from 0 to 19.

This one is set up to turn continuous in one direction then will stop at 0 in the opposite direction.
I never could figure out how to make a 21 to 1 ratio so I made them this way. It is a very simple design and is less $ than my normal clocks.
The 800 series pumps have a 20 to 1 ratio clock

What I meant by "it would fit" is that the 730 and the 576 look like the same cabinet and end to end
they might be the same LENGTH but that was all that I was implying.

I build a LOT of clock units for pumps that are missing most or all the guts, and most of the time I am working from measurements ONLY.
Before I built these for the 576 I had posted for anyone who may have had any info on this clock. I always try to get as much info about what I am building a unit for. All I had to go by was a couple of measurements I got from Ron Scobie, and the knowledge there would be no obstructions from interior guts.

I have been building clocks for only a few years now and by no means am I an expert on anything to do with clock pumps. Pretty much a VEEDER ROOT is a VEEDER ROOT is a VEEDER ROOT and I can build them in my sleep but every model of clock is different, same for the interior of the cabinet they go in.
Since it was a hand pump and all the guts were gone, I could build the frame simple and let the cabinet restorer design the mount.
Will my clock fit a pump with the guts in it???? well now I am not sure.
The pics on Craigs list and these are the first pics I have seen of the 576 besides the ones in Jack's book.
I built these almost a year ago, "BLIND"....... what I refer to when I have no pics to go by.

It was Ron who told me the clock should have only 1 hand so I built this one to be turned at the knob clockwise, if you turn counter clockwise the hand will stop at zero.
Mr. Little likes to be able to play with his toys.
He is the one who got me into this whole clock biz anyway...D'OH
That, in turn, is what lead me here 3 yrs ago when I had the first model developed.
I picked up a LOT of computer biz here since then too, and I say thanks to all of you who
keep me busy with it.
Since then I have built close to 100 clocks for several different pumps sometimes working from measurements ONLY and as far as I know they have All fit.
I did have a little trouble w/ the Narrow body Wayne 60 though.
At the time I did not know the frame size difference.

As I have been arranging pages & pics for the Computer ID CD I am working on, It made me think about this...
I have several pictures of clock units I have rebuilt, I have no intention in doing a clock ID.
I think it would be nice if this site could build a user only downloadable data base for clock units.
Something similar to the user picture pages.... If you happen to be restoring your pump and have the clock out to fix it take a pic with a solid background and add the data about the pump to the pic.... something like this. Extra pics from different angles too.

It may help folks to see what is missing from their units or what unit they have or what unit they need.
I think it could be extremely helpfull. It would give you a chance to show off your work and help folks too.
There is no way I could supply as much information & pics as the combined efforts of everyone on the site ...or at least willing participants.
Thanks
Joe
....I know ......blah, blah ,blah, yada,yada,yada,...LOL
Posted By: drgaspump Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 11:13 PM
Joe,all the units that you have built are extremly impressive and you do a great job,very inventive and I'm always happy with the computer units you do for me.with out you alot of pumps wouldnt beable to be restored properly.I posted the pictures for 2 reasons and the 1st is to show everyone that may have the pump which theres a few out there what the Clock unit looks like that there missing and 2nd to give you a view of the mounting incase you wanted to built one for those request you may have if any.This site was meant to help and educate one another.I work on these pumps 5 to 7 days a week for many years and I'm always learning new from hands on to looking on this site.Thanks.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sat Dec 05 2009 11:59 PM
It looks like you had to do some serious fabricating to fix that one. shocked shocked shocked
Posted By: drgaspump Re: Wayne 576 Clock Mech. - Sun Dec 06 2009 01:09 AM
I had to Machine a new piece of Aluminum to replace the original pot metal piece,it was broke in 5 different pieces thanks to the original owner,almost done with it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk