Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: upsgaspumps Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 05:15 AM

Would like to know what these 2 cast iron posts were used for? They are about 3' tall and 6" in diameter. The 2nd pic. has 19411 casted at top. Thanks, Bill
Posted By: van Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 12:32 PM
I have 2 nearly identical. I was buying my first pump..and noticed them in the weeds. They are the upright supports to a railway station scale. Mine is complete ..just in pieces..
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 12:45 PM
I don't know what they fit ...but I sure would like to have one.
They look to be about 4' tall?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 01:11 PM
They were also used in many old grain elevators from many years past! They were the upright columns on the weigh scale that was used to weigh the truckloads of grain. Time and technology has of course, eliminated them.
To find some that have escaped the scrappers truck, is a rare deal. They're around but they don't run in bunches! Nice find!!
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 06:53 PM
I like them. You could use them for lots of things.
John
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Thu Dec 10 2009 11:13 PM
Those are cool!!!!!
Posted By: upsgaspumps Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Fri Dec 11 2009 03:35 AM
Kevin,
Your guess makes the most sense to me. The place where I picked them up is a old wheat ranch farmstead. The guy has a bunch of old grain buildings and even has his own wheat processing building that looks like it was built back in the late 1800's. Thanks for the information. Bill
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Fri Dec 11 2009 12:50 PM
Bill--It wasn't a guess. I have personally seen those exact columns in several old time grain elevators! Your description of where you found them makes perfect sense as some larger farms"back in the day", had their own grain processing facilities.
Posted By: upsgaspumps Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Sat Dec 12 2009 03:25 AM
Kevin,
About how many of the cast posts were used per scale? Since I found the 2 at his place I am wondering if maybe he has some more of them laying around somewhere on the property. Let me know. Thanks, bill
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Sat Dec 12 2009 05:29 PM
There were only two on every scale that I ever saw. They were used on each end of the balance beam. I don't have any old pictures but maybe someone else does?? If they had more than one scale, there would be others but any old facility like that, generally had the one scale house and that was it!
Posted By: van Re: Cast Iron Posts Identification - Sun Dec 13 2009 12:54 PM
KW is right...I have the complete scale..Posts are supports for the beam..and it weighs a TON !!..The farmer charged me $50 for mine..
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk