Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: SOUTHFLORIDAGAS Who can repair Correct Measure pipes? - Fri Dec 11 2009 10:02 PM
Does anybody repair and plate pipes or has anybody found someone good to redo them? I gave the "u" shapes one that is cracked and all need replating. Thanks

Attached picture Broken Pipes.jpg
Posted By: travis_towle Re: Who can repair Correct Measure pipes? - Sat Dec 12 2009 02:01 AM
The plating was nickel - it gets very expensive - the pipes are "or should be" standard black iron that are buffed down and plated. Every major city has a plating company that will do this.

As for the pipes - if you have the sizes and can get them off - take them to home depot and have them cut and threaded for you extra long, then cut down with a cutting wheel or if you have to use a hack saw - then buff them on a wire wheel to a bright shine - and drop off to the plating. IF by chance your threads are NOT standard "some are most are NOT" you will have to take them to a machine shop and have them treaded on their lathes - even more expensive.

I could "maybe" copy these but shipping is a killer - plus it is ~ICE~ cold in my shop right now - so I am only working in the basement on cuckoo clocks "my winter work"!

What I would do - bend the broken one back to shape - V notch the crack, and braze it building it high - then grind the braze to shape - fill with bondo - sand smooth - and use the paint we use on the WW2 Anti-Aircraft searchlight mirrors - they will look better then new and no one will know different!

mirror paint:
http://www.geocities.com/bobz299/searchlight2.htm

Travis
Topeka, Kansas
Posted By: travis_towle Re: Who can repair Correct Measure pipes? - Sat Dec 12 2009 02:04 AM
By they way - that mirror paint has really dropped in price - no longer 319.00 a pint! I found some early this year for about 119.00 a qt.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Who can repair Correct Measure pipes? - Sat Dec 12 2009 05:36 PM
Travis--Thats a very interesting page on those searchlights! I learned a lot!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk