Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DCpate Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:07 AM
Need some help on how to clean my latest Craigslist find (right here in Norman no less). It's a cool wood framed tin sign from the 20s I believe. It looks NOS and has some kind of white grime (not paper marks) that looks like it should clean off.

What's the best way to clean the sign without damaging the paint? I've foolishly used 0000 fine grade steel wool on a painted sign in the past and could see fine abrasion marks afterward. Just good ol' soap and water instead?

Please advise.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:19 AM
DISH SOAP/DETERGENT AND WARM WATER?

MACGUIRE'S CLEANER WAX (FOR CARS)?

NICE UNUSUAL SIGN BTW!
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:23 AM
That was quick! I just seen it and was going to call!!! LOL!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:23 AM
Cool sign. I would use warm water & a mild soap with a soft cloth or old washcloth to clean of any dirt or built up grim. Then dry it & let it sit for a day or two. Then i would go over it with car wax to luster it up some. If there are light scratches in it you could go over it with a mild rubbing compound before the wax. Just be careful on the white letters they could come easier due to the age of the sign. We want before & after pics too smile
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:27 AM
I use Dawn hand washing liquid. Gentle and doesn't fade or remove paint(or hasn't removed paint from my lamp and handy oiler tins).
For stubborn dirt I use a battery operated toothbrush from the Dollar Store.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:49 AM
Thanks for the tips so far...

Do you think there is any danger in getting it too wet? Do you just liberally apply a soapy rag?

thanks again
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:51 AM
If the wood is solid I would not worry about it getting a little wet. I would not let it sit or soak in water for a long period of time smile
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 03:01 AM
use lighty dawn/water with mr. cleans magic eraser for the tuff stuff.
Afterwards I buff with zymol wax.
Always works for me.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 03:07 AM
INTERESTING tip about the Mr. Clean's magic eraser... and it won't damage a painted sign? Anyone else tried this?

Thanks for the tip Paddy--
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 03:09 AM
Use lighty...I have used it on painted tin....works ok on paper marks...great on lenses!

good seeing you again at Pate...been awhile.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 10:36 AM
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE RESULTS (NUDGE-NUDGE, WINK-WINK) wink
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 01:45 PM
If you scrub to hard with the magic eraser you can remove paint!!
Posted By: DCpate Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Thu May 20 2010 04:49 PM
What is "lighty dawn"?

Sorry Paddy, I did google it before I asked...

Thanks again for all the advice--
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Fri May 21 2010 02:05 AM
Maguier's Cleaning wax. Work a small area at a time with a soft white cloth without letting it dry, check for paint loss. You can apply good pressure if the paint is secure. Removes most of what can be removed from tin. Dawn is too harsh in my opinion.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Fri May 21 2010 03:01 AM
Thanks bustermonty, got some Meguire's and its working well so far...

Will post pics when this mighty chore is over.
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Help cleaning 1920s tin sign - Fri May 21 2010 04:57 PM
Lightly using Dawn would mean not in an undiluted state. It can in some odd instances disolve colors used on plastic quarts and could have similar results on red colors if left on for periods of lengthy time. This is a lesson I've learned the hard way. Nice sign and good luck.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk