Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: SOUTHFLORIDAGAS Bennett 76 Engineering help - Tue Jul 20 2010 03:53 PM
Well I pulled my 76 out to begin dismantling and saw that it was crooked. It has no visible damage to the skins, frame, base etc but it is the leaning tower of gas. The cast base seemed to be twisted and the pump would rock off center. I though that if I took the entire thing apart and removed the four 3/4" pipe frame and took the pressure off the plate that maybe it would flatten the base out a bit. Then I realized that the cast base is pretty unlikely to return to square. Took it apart and big surpirse it didn't straighen out. All I can think is too grind down the base but then the base will be angled? OK Oldgas engineers???

Attached picture bennett 76 Base.jpg
Posted By: T-way Re: Bennett 76 Engineering help - Tue Jul 20 2010 08:16 PM
SFG:

Are the pipes 90-degrees to the base when installed? Both ways? If so . . .

Then I'd suggest just making use of the four 'bolt-down' holes in the base. Tap them for a nice big-a$$ bolt.

Thread the bolts in from the bottom and use the heads to level the unit. The use of jam nuts will keep the bolts from backing out and changing the level as you move the pump from the assembly area to your display area.

And you can always readjust the pump if you floors are unlevel.

The only other alternative is to have the bottom of the base machined parallel to the top surface - but this could be noticable if too much needs to be removed.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: SOUTHFLORIDAGAS Re: Bennett 76 Engineering help - Wed Jul 21 2010 02:43 AM
When I adjusted the frame the base flexed back to flush on the floor but just shifted the proble to the top making it crooked. I think grinding a little may be the only way. Thanks Jim
Posted By: thermactor Re: Bennett 76 Engineering help - Wed Jul 21 2010 03:10 AM
How do the pipes attach to the top? Are all the pipes exactly the same length? Are they all screwed in the same amount?

Wes
Posted By: petropumps Re: Bennett 76 Engineering help - Wed Jul 21 2010 04:43 AM
I had the same problem with a Wayne 60 base!! Believe it or not, here's what I did...first I tried heating and beating it back in shape...no luck and I was worried I would break it. Had it in the back of my truck when I stopped-in to see a contractor friend of mine that does demolition. He has a HUGE crane and he told me he thought he could straighten it out. I though the base was toast, so I told him to go ahead. He picked up an enormous steel beam(10,000 lbs.???...I'm not even sure) with his crane and laid it on top of the base which he had sat on a thick steel slab. Did it two or three times and PRESTO!!...straight base. Not what I would have though of, but worked great.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk