Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DCpate Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 05:25 PM
Just picked up this sign. It was built into the wall of an old wooden house...

Has anyone seen a sign with this slogan ("a six for the price of a four") before?

Google tells me that Chevrolet used this in their advertising in 1929. The sign has relective, sandpaper type paint on the Chevrolet logo and the letters in the banner.

Its a little weathered (and still dirty) but I wonder if it's the only survivor out there...?
Posted By: Alex Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 06:17 PM
That is very nice. Very unique. That "sandpaper" paint I was told is called diamond something or another.....It was made to reflect the headlights off of a car. So, it was either on the outside of a building low to the ground or on a highway. Just my two-cents. Congrats.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 06:24 PM
I have owned one of these signs & the sand paint is called "smaltz"..........
Posted By: LOWright Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 08:24 PM
Cool sign! I love chevy stuff and that is a different one!
Posted By: JOSBORN Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 09:15 PM
Very cool!! Great find there!
I do have room to store it if you need? LOL!
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 10:01 PM
I have the same sign and mine has a wood frame on it
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Mon Aug 09 2010 10:26 PM
Very cool sign & find. The slogan could be when they came out with the 6 cylinder. Looks like it will clean up nicely. I would put a wood frame around it again smile
IF YOU DO FRAME IT, CONSIDER WHAT I DID WITH THAT ESSO AVIATION PRODUCTS SIGN LAST MONTH.
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Tue Aug 10 2010 06:19 AM
Chevrolet in 1928 was a 4 and in 1929 they came out as 6's. I remmember it well. LOL Mitch
Posted By: Roger Loupias Re: Unusual Chevrolet sign... New Discovery? - Tue Aug 10 2010 02:36 PM
I love your sign! Not the typical run of the mill stuff, lucky you.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk