Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 1970mach My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 02:31 PM
I have been doing garage sales for quite some time, but today had to be the best. First place I went to they had a very nice Pepsi Porcelain door push @ 15.00. Next garage sale in the same area a large 1881 Mary Wagner painting for $20.00. Then I hit a dry spell.Drove for more than an hour and got nothing. 5 minutes from home I hit a final garage sale. I walked in and my eyes must have been as wide as silver dollars to the seller as I made a beeline to the table of displayed license plates...All S s1940's to early 50's sample plates. I calmly ask the guy how much for the plates. He says well I paid $25.00 for them at a auction 30 some years ago. So if I got a buck a piece...(yes 1 dollar each) I'd be happy. I said well I 'll take them all at that price. He them said. well if your taking them all give me 40 bucks. There is easily a few grand here just in the plates...and for me, this one definately chalks up as my best garage sale day ever.

Attached picture DSC_8320.JPG
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 02:40 PM
Colin--I'm really glad for you but I have to say, in my ignorance, I would have walked right by those plates. There are all kinds of old liscense plates at yard and auction sales here in North Dakota but I'm wondering what makes those particular plates worth so much? Is it because they are unused sample plates with all Zeros? You'll have to pardon my ignorance here but I'm just trying to learn something so I don't make a foolish mistake and walk by something valuable in the future! Thanks---KEVIN
Posted By: 1970mach Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 03:10 PM
Hey I was the same way. I just happen to have seen sample plates on ebay some time ago and was surprised by the prices on older ones. For instance, there are two Wyoming plates that I got and in research on completed items on eBay had sold for $130+. There are some sample plates that have been on eBay where the Buy it now prices are in excess of $500+ . But there are many of the plates that sell in the 30-70 dollar range. I just won't be able to tell how much there really is until I sell them all. They all will be sold on eBay so I can buy SIGNS!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 03:13 PM
Colin good job. You should do well selling them smile
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 03:57 PM
WELL00000YOU0000REALLY0000DID0000GREAT000THERE0000COLIN!
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sat Aug 21 2010 04:33 PM
Good job..thanks for the pics and the story.
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: My Best Garage Sale Day Ever! - Sun Aug 22 2010 12:23 AM
Great find.
Mike
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk