Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 12:22 AM
Here is a sign i bought today, thats been on the side of a 2 lane hwy since the early 70's.

By allenbrown82 at 2010-10-08

By AllenBrown82 at 2010-10-07

By allenbrown82 at 2010-10-07
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 12:36 AM
may or may not be for sale, depends on what kind of numbers i hear.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 01:02 AM
Good find there Allen smile
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 01:52 AM
i asked the lady how come it hadn't been sold already and she said plenty of people stopped and tried to buy it over the years, but with her being an old black lady and me being a young white man, she said I was the only one who ever treated her with politeness and respect. she said i was the only white man to ever stop and she invited in, man she had some DAMN good sweet tea too.
I like the post! Nice
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 02:43 AM
I LOVE SWEET TEA!!! AWESOME SIGN.
Mike
Posted By: oldgoaly Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 03:19 AM
Cool story and nice sign!
Posted By: badgas Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 01:28 PM
That's what I call southern hospitality!
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 02:02 PM
AWWWWHHHHHHHHHH SWEET TEA IS THE SHHHHH!$! SO IS THAT SET UP,VERY NICE POLE!LOL.... THAT DOSE NOT SOUND RIGHT!HEY I WANNA KNOW HOW MANY MEN IT TOOK TO TRANSPORT ,MINE WAS NEVER COMPLETELY TOGETHER,THE 6'SIGN & FRAME.....BUT JUST THE FRAME & NO POLE,I SWEAR I D@MM NEAR BROKE MY BACK & I'M NOT A OLDTIMER EITHER .....OH & GOT STUNG BY 2 BEE'S WHEN WE PULLED OURS OUT TO MOVE TO THE TRAILER! I KNOW YOU HAD FUN WITH THIS ONE!LOL "VERY COOL SCORE"
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 09 2010 06:47 PM
well i didnt get it down yet, but this is how im gonna do it. I got 3 sections of HD scaffolding im gonna stack right beside it. undo the top flange 4 bolts. rig the sign and brace it to the scaffolding (which will be tied on the other side to my dually). with a pulley system set up on top rail of scaffold were gonna lower the top part of sign down. then we can unbolt 2 of bottom bolts and rig winch cable on ball of my truck to the top flange, ( i built a brace of 2x4's thats 7 feet high to lower the sign onto) then we'll heat the bolts while one man is pulling it towards the brace and one man slowly releasing the winch cable as the wieght of the sign pulls itself onto the brace as we heat the bolts.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Tue Oct 12 2010 11:23 AM
Do yourself a big favor and hire someone with a truck mounted crane. That sign and frame are HEAVY!
Posted By: Tankar Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Tue Oct 12 2010 01:21 PM
Be sure you have cell phone service in case 911 is needed, Good Luck!
Posted By: DIESEL Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Tue Oct 12 2010 05:42 PM
MAKE SURE YOU RIG WILL HANDLE THE WEIGHT,ONCE YOU UNBOLT AND SHIFT OFF OF POLE AND IT SWINGS ON YOU ,MAKE SURE THE RIG IS RIGHT,THAT COULD BE A DISASTER! IT JUST SOUNDS SCARY TO ME ! BUTTTTTTTTT "YOUR THE MAN" YOU CAN DO IT! I'VE DONE PLENTY OF JANKEY CAVE MAN MOVES LIKE THIS ONE, AND LIVED TO SEE ANOTHER DAY!...LOL ....IT'S KINDA LIKE THE GUY WHO TRIED TO REMOVE A TREE STUMP W/ A CHAIN ATTACHED TO HIS BUMPER AND FLOORS IT! LOL........JUST KIDDING WITH YA,,,,BUT IN ALL SERIOUSNESS BE VERY CAREFUL THERE'S ALOT TO CONSIDER ONCE ITS UNBOLTED,HAVE A PLAN........THEN ANOTHER PLAN.....AND PUT SOME TENNIS SHOES ON, SO YOU CAN RUN LIKE H@LL WHEN IT COMES A FALLING!........LOL TAKE CARE & GOOD LUCK!

Attached picture _1.jpg
Posted By: badgas Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Tue Oct 12 2010 07:24 PM
Git 'R Done!
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 02:57 AM
Nice sign! I owned one for a while and let me tell you Hire the craine or boom truck that thing is a beast!! Might take the hole scaffel down with you on it BE CAREFULL!!! Could also hit the truck.
Rob
Posted By: rd_signs Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 03:23 AM
Why not leave it by the roadside? I hate to see all the roadside signs taken down. Its such a thrill to see one in the "wild" once in a while. Also there is a slim chance it will ever be put back up, I know of several of these pole signs laying for years behind shops in the weeds. RD
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 01:17 PM
Have some one take pictures of the complete process.
Cool sign and pole, wish I had a spot to put one up.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 01:48 PM
Hire a boom truck, you'll save time and money in the end.
Having owning several signs with poles HIRE a crane service. It will be the best money you ever spent moving such a heavy and awkward item.

Joey
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 11:10 PM
you guys have to learn the "good ole boy system", it wasn't really that hard at all for me and my cousin. But here's what ya do...when you find a sign like that out in the country, ride around a bit and find someone with a tractor with forks on the front or a bucket...talk to em for a few minutes and tell em what you got and offer to buy them a case of thier favorite beer... BANG you have your sign down and loaded on your trailer in about 15 min or less.
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 11:42 PM
I know that sign has to be very heavy in the frame If you are going to build a scaffold build one up both sides and take the sign out of the ring ,my pure sign did have brass screws and they came out. Then you can handle just the sign out of the frame and let it down. then take one of the scaffold down and try your luck unbolting the bottom and push the frame down flat ways. I would be afraid to unbolt the top.Good Luck
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Wed Oct 13 2010 11:58 PM
Originally Posted By: AllenBrown82
you guys have to learn the "good ole boy system", it wasn't really that hard at all for me and my cousin. But here's what ya do...when you find a sign like that out in the country, ride around a bit and find someone with a tractor with forks on the front or a bucket...talk to em for a few minutes and tell em what you got and offer to buy them a case of thier favorite beer... BANG you have your sign down and loaded on your trailer in about 15 min or less.

So, I guess you got it down? No one had to go to the hospital? LoL!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Thu Oct 14 2010 12:01 AM
How about a picture of it coming down or maybe loaded on the trailer or did the camera go with the ambulance???
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Thu Oct 14 2010 12:07 AM
i didnt get any pics of while we were takin it down, sorry guys i'll remember nest time.
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 12:33 PM
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Hire a boom truck, you'll save time and money in the end.

I'm with Kevin!
Gave a guy with a skid steer and a truss setting boom $100 and thirty minutes later it was on my trailer.
Putting it up took a bit longer. smirk

Link to our TEXACO sign restoration.
http://oldgaspumpguys.com/Restorations.aspx
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 12:42 PM
Great Web site Old Racer!!!!
Posted By: chrisbowers Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 07:24 PM
I got the same exact sign/pole combo about a year or so ago from a marina. I was in luck, they have this HUGE forklift they use to get boats out of the water. All we had to do was torch the bolts and they picked her up. No problemo. They offered to give it to me for free, but I gave the fellas who helped me out a little something for their trouble. I was preparing to rig up some contraption like Allen was talking about!
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 11:18 PM
Ok, what is Sweet Tea? Iced tea with sugar in it?
John
Posted By: bmclemore Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: Vermonter
Ok, what is Sweet Tea? Iced tea with sugar in it?
John

Exactly! A staple down south.
Posted By: AllenBrown82 Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Fri Oct 15 2010 11:38 PM
You have to forgive Vermonter, Barry you see where he is from. It's not his fault he's a Yankee....lol
Posted By: badgas Re: Its pays to ride the outskirts of old towns! - Sat Oct 16 2010 12:35 AM
Around here, McDonald's sells a large cup of sweet tea for 99c. It's good! Arizona (the iced tea brand) also sells sweet tea.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk