Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 59fairlane Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Feb 29 2008 05:36 PM
WOW, just watching the Peotone auction online.

The Harbor Petroleum Porcelain sign just sold for $52,500 to someone onsite.

Is that a record for this sign?
Posted By: powerlube Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Feb 29 2008 08:39 PM
WOW- I can't remember what the one sold for last year but I thought it was in the 20's and before that the high was in the low teens. WOW, WOW, WOW!

------------------
Scott Wright-
http://www.frontrangegas.com/powerine.htm
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Feb 29 2008 09:36 PM
Scott ,If I remember right it sold for around 25,000
Posted By: blacktee Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Feb 29 2008 10:47 PM
They walk among us...
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Feb 29 2008 11:05 PM
Yeah is was right around 25K. It made some news in some antique publications.

This should make some news as well.

Anyone know how many of these may exist?
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 02:01 AM
Whoever bought it was on the phone, so technically they were absentee, which means 15% B.P. There were two floor bidders driving the phone guy, but they quit at $52500. When figuring premium, that means he paid 60 G's!!
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 02:05 AM

60G's Good Lord.

Anyone know of any other porecelain signs bringing this kind of scratch?

I guess they are worth whatever someone wants to pay for one.
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 02:06 AM
I think it was Dick Bennett.

All that great can work must have paid off
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 02:43 AM
Part of me is jealous but part of me is saying this was a stupid move from someone with way too much money. These signs weren't worth the $25,000 paid last year and certainly not twice that price today. All this does it put anything worth owning out of our grasp. Too much money and too little brains
Ray
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:26 AM
Is this the same sign that sold over in Edardsville, Illinois last spring for about $25,000? I was there when it sold.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:58 AM
Must have a HECK OF A TRUST FUND, or his wife is running for President !
Posted By: blacktee Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 10:58 AM
Nah, All the signs point to a republican Dick !

Posted By: jkyocom Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 12:11 PM
That makes me want to puke.
This hobby was a lot more fun before the "deep pocket" guys ran all the prices up.
Now every "civilian" who has a computer thinks a visible is worth 25 grand no matter what model.
I am still baffled at the lemmings that follow their lead and now value a peice at the cost someone with lots of expendable income will throw at it at auction.

With all the high prices comes the fakes and now everything is suspect. Doesen't being suspiciouse of a peice kinda take the fun out? Repro-ok, fake-bad

There is nothing like the feeling you get finding a box of signs under a bulk plant building....at least you know they are real and someone is not going to bid against you for them either........old school, G !
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 12:20 PM
be careful at the bulk plants, with all the foreigners buying up all the gas stations and mini-marts, what's to stop "wholesalecandyshop" and all the other slimy guys overseas reproducing the signs, to buy a used bulk plant and load it with signs in the rafters
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 12:34 PM
Not at all saying that this sign was "worth" $60K, BUT it was an absolutely pristine example AND there were multiple on-site bidders driving the action. There were 3-4 guys on phones bidding. Bottom-line is, there is beginning to be a BIG divergence in the prices for stuff that is 'rare' & 'clean' and those 'common' & 'rough'. I know that has always been the case, but with the economy in the shape that it is in, I am beginning to see the lowest-end items basically falling off the table and the higher-end items going ASTRONOMICAL! There are many explanations for it, but the one I'm hearing most often is that the smaller budgets are being squeezed to the point that most guys are over-paying for ONE pristine rare sign than buying big quantities of everything. I believe this is healthy for our hobby/business because a few years ago, even a Dino globe or "insert any common pump/globe/sign" would bring 2 or 3 times what it should. Now, an entry-level collector can come in and get some deals. Also the mid-level stuff seems to be pulling back a little. Case in point: I noticed some globes that had come thru my sale 3-4 years ago. I don't mean same kind, I mean THE EXACT GLOBES. I bought a few of them back yesterday at Dan's sale for 1/2 what they sold for in Guthrie in 2002-2003. They were what I'd call $1500 globes and I bought them for less than 1/2 that, yet had sold them for between $2000-$3000. It's for sure an odd time in ANY business but I really believe things are re-adjusting for the better.

The Harbor is an anomaly that occurs when you have THE PREMIER EXAMPLE of a good rare item. The word is the sign ended up going to Louisiana and not to the coasts as most would suspect.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 01:19 PM
Well said Seth. I think you hit the nail on the head. Hopefully, the lower prices for the low/midrange stuff will bring in more NEW collectors so the premier stuff can get fought over by the wealthy.
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:03 PM
Just have to congratulate you on your “soothing” way of stating things. You have a “knack” for setting things right. It just ****** me off that I can’t afford this high end stuff. My deep pockets are only about ¼ deep, my wife sewed them shut.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:11 PM
I agree, well said Seth,, I have never met you before but you sound like you really have a handle on whats going on in this collection/buisness.. a very knowledgeable person..to have around..
Posted By: signaholic Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 03:42 PM
I thought most of the better pump plates brought really healthy prices too!!

Bob
Posted By: dodogas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 04:01 PM
So is someone on here inferring that when they find mutiple minty sign at a bulk plant, they sell them at under market prices..so they dont feed or fuel the beast???

Or do you cash in like the rest of us and sell at the going rate and turn your windfall into a nice profit...

The nice part about this market is you can still find a rare old piece barn fresh & turn it into a windfall....often at a time in your life where you can really use the money. And I am not seeing anything wrong with that..
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 06:06 PM
DOESN'T ANYBODY HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS AMAZING HIGH DOLLAR SIGN?

~DOC
A SIGN COLLECTOR!
Posted By: Tokheim Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 07:22 PM
From Proxibid's website

"rated 9.5, great gloss, has one very minor factory flaw in the porcelain right above the "P" in petroleum, size of quarter, the porcelain is a little darker, I do not think that you will find a better condition Harbor sign"

Better get to work DOC...and be sure you date yours;-)

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 03-01-2008).]
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 07:25 PM
deleted mine

[This message has been edited by Wes Hague (edited 03-01-2008).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 07:59 PM
BELIEVE ME GUYS, THIS IS ONE SIGN I FIND NO PARTICULAR INTEREST IN....JUST HONESTLY WANTED TO SEE WHAT SOMEONE PAID 60 G'S FOR! I'VE GOT BETTER FISH TO FRY!

THANKS FOR POSTING TOK!

~DOC
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 08:24 PM
Beware even though I'm sure this is an original sign there is a porcelain reproduction sign made that look just like this one! I believe There were a 100 of them made a few years ago. The reproduction signs are dated at the bottom of the sign.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Sat Mar 01 2008 08:32 PM
I find it very hard to believe that anyone that collects nice porcelain signs ( oil and gasoline related) wouldn't love to have this sign hanging on their wall..just my opinion..
Posted By: midway oil Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 12:00 AM
I hate to see the super high prices on collectibles too, but I guess in reality if you were selling you wouldn't talk the bidder 'down' because.... 'hey, you're paying WAY too much it isn't worth THAT.'

No, if somebody has the coin to lay out for this sign and you want it that badly then more power to you. If any of us ever came across this sign in this nice of condition, the VERY first thing you are going to think to yourself is 'This sign brought over 50K at Seth's auction. So, that is what I have to have for it.'
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 02:46 AM
Isn't that Harbor sign foreign anyway? I've always had it in my head that those Harbor signs weren't American..... foreign?..... Foreign doesn't do it for me, USA all the way!!!!!!
USA all the way, save some room for some BBQ Chicken!!!

Edit out political comments

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 03-02-2008).]
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 03:01 AM
Only if you consider everything West of N.C. FOREIGN !
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 03:04 AM
your getting better chicken man, you only offended 2 groups of people this time unless you really think California is a foreign country..... sorry, but i don't think your second comment deserves a response.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 04:19 AM
I think with the way the economy is and housing market $60000 is a gamble especially if the economy gets worst and we end up in a recession. May definatly go down in price.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 05:37 AM
There are way worse investments than $60K for this sign. Sure, the current owner would be hard-pressed to get close to his investment out of it IF he had to sell it today, BUT...he has something tangible to enjoy and something unique to talk about.
BTW...I can assure you a guy that spends $60K on a gas sign isn't looking at it as an investment, they are looking at it as nothing more than a toy to show off, which, in the same situation I would do the exact same.

P.S. For anyone that is wondering, we ARE in a recession. Ask a small-biz owner, not a politician....we've been in one since 4th Quarter of '07. Most recessions are more than 1/2 over before they are "called".
Posted By: Chad Haas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 05:56 AM
Whoever can afford this money for a collectible is completely insulated from the economy.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 12:53 PM
Gee Seth, You suspect this sign went to Louisiana and not to the coast? I didn't know Louisiana was a land lock state......I guess the Gulf of Mexico is a pond....just poking a little fun at you...I am still waiting on your call.
If this sign did go to Louisiana and to the collector that I suspect I can say this. Money is not a problem and it was not for braggin'. He just wanted it and loves the hobby. He is also a very nice guy.

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 01:34 PM
Touche' Paddy! (YOU KNEW WHAT I MEANT, YOU POT-STIRRER )
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 05:22 PM
The gas and oil collectables market is similar to other fields of collectables. I have a friend that has been a major player in duck decoys for many decades. Many times what is going on with trends and pricing in our field is pretty much mirrored with what he does. He gave me some advise many years ago when I started collecting gas and oil. Save up your money and buy the better stuff, let the lesser stuff go. The long money is on items that present well and the lesser stuff has the tendency to decrease in value over time.
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 06:41 PM
The only pot that I will stir is some fine seafood gumbo......As most of you that know and have meet me I always try to get along with everyone and if I don't have nothing nice to say about someone, then I don't say nothing at all.....except when it comes to you Seth(LOL)....just kidding Seth, just kidding....

WTB NICE HARBOR SIGN CHEAP!!!!!

------------------
Paddy
WTB Billups, Ride with Rose, Spar, Canal, Gulf Coast, and Galtex gas and Oil related items.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 07:12 PM
Hey Paddy,
Mr. Little said he still had a few repros left.
Posted By: fins n vtwins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Mon Mar 03 2008 11:51 PM
No disrespect to Seth(who I respect and admire).....but I gotta disagree about us "already being in a recession"
I am a small business owner(auto body shop), and I'm currently booked a month+ ahead(behind? ).
Business(especially retail) fluctates....just because some folks are slow is no proof this country is in a recession. What WILL drive us into recession is if everybody listens to the evening news and BELIEVES the gloom and doom as FACT. It's an election year, folks, and the media as well as the politicians and special interest groups have an agenda. Read into that what you will...
Kinda reminds me of "global warming".....

What this has to do with a record sign sale, I don't know... My apologies for derailing the thread
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 12:11 AM
Work last year was Slow & the start of this year is S l o w e r in S. Calif. I agree we are in a recession.
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 02:07 AM
The root word to recession is recess.......
Posted By: thermactor Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 02:35 AM
Someone with money to spend at this time might not necessarily be "insulated" from the economy. It all depends on the cycle and phase of your current industry. For instance, the mining industry is pretty much countercyclical, doing well when the majority of the economy is doing poorly and energy prices and material are up. The auto body business is probably on more of a yearly cycle than a long-term one, spiking in the winter when accidents increase. When people need a body shop, they're going to one, recession or not. Obviously things like construction will follow along pretty closely with the rest of the economy. They're volatile, and people will refrain from doing home projects based on the general economic cycle.

Wes
Posted By: canosaurus Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 03:21 AM
Hey Paddy....I suspected the Harbor was going to you when Seth said it's new home was in Louisiana. Was worried you were going to have to dig up ALOT of mason jars for that one (hehe). Did you get $$$ back on the Enarco???
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 03:50 AM
Joe i talked to Miles yesterday but it wasn't about signs. The mason jars are still buried in the field. I took the money out of the mattress for Set's auction and Dan's last Friday. Still got a few shows to go to. Yes Dave, I got my money back on that sign....thanks for the phone call and giving your advice....I have dealt with that dealer in the past and is very honest. He told me up front that he did not know if it was a repop or the real deal, and if I found that if it was a repop he would refund my money....It was nice to get back to that part of Louisiana. The land of sugar cane, rice fields and crawfish ponds...OBTW for lunch the oyster Po-Boy (hoagie, sub, bomber) and dem mudbugs (crawfish)was to die for! Just wish Dixie beer was still in business to wash it all down (Katrina took care of them)!
OBTW the steaks are on you this July in Bama!....did I wander off the topic????

------------------
Paddy

[This message has been edited by texaspelican (edited 03-03-2008).]
Posted By: dodogas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 04:10 AM
Paddy.. sounds like you been getting fed somewhere between New Iberia and the birth place of the Texas Company.....
Posted By: canosaurus Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 04:33 AM
Yeah, my treat this summer in 'bama. I didn't know Burger King offered steak!?!?!?
Posted By: tx_oil Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 12:13 PM
Where in Louisiana did the sign go to? I'll keep an eye out for a pristine Harbor sign among the spanish moss and blue tarps...

------------------
Robert Usrey
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 12:23 PM
Was fed in Bunkie, Louisiana and can't confirm for sure if the sign went to Louisiana.....but if it did it would be in the southeastern part of the state....Nice to see your still out there Robert....
Dave...McDonalds, and I get to keep the toy!!

------------------
Paddy
Posted By: Chad Haas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 02:16 PM
Wes - with all due respect, anyone who can afford a $60,000 sign clearly is insulated from whatever is happening in the economy. Spending this kind of money on a sign is a luxury, not a necessity.
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 02:40 PM
Fits 'n Twins...I guess I shouldn't have made the blanket statement that WE are in a recession, BUT...you are in a business that is a NECESSITY, where I'm in one that is a luxury. I can say with assurity, that MY world is in a recession, and it may trickle down to yours, it may not. Anyway, just my view of the things....
Posted By: dodogas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 03:50 PM
Regardless of how good one persons situation is. it is pretty apparent to most people that there is a recession... just look at what is for sale these days for toys..
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 06:41 PM
The falling value of the US Dollar and the record prices for oil should be proof enough.

Seth is right, some businesses do not feel a downturn in the economy like others. Just ask your grocer. Everyone needs to eat.

What the Fed has done to interest rates is more proof something is wrong.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 07:19 PM
im in hvac,which in this day and age is a necessity,i feel the recession.new housing here is at nearly a standstill and that is a big part of my income. just my 2cents.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 10:20 PM
I agree with Mick, I am in the Heating Business and even with the cold weather this winter, I along with ALL the other local Heating contractors are extremely slow, Everybody is saving their money for Oil and Gasoline and putting off servicing their units

------------------
Visit 15th Annual MASS GAS BASH
September 7th 2008
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 10:31 PM
This topic is starting to get way off track. How about discussing some of this under the non petro, as it is interesting. I hate to see this topic locked.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Tue Mar 04 2008 11:33 PM
ryan you are right.i just want to go visit paddy,and have some gumbo and crawdads!!
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 01:07 AM
"Things"(economy) can't just always keep getting better and better and times getting easier and better and cushier and just better and better and then; bam!!! ...... a slight check or a step back for the country and people's pocket books and we're in a RECESS??? people think we're hurt or down..... Maybe we are just where we are supposed to be..... we had a check-up. Things don't always get better and better and better all the time. Things caught up with themselves. We are so spoiled and in this country and so easy to bitch and moan over the smallest thing. So things slowed down a little bit, good. Maybe people and this country will slow down a little too and get back to what's real and really important. Family, time with family and friends, fishin', carvin' a bird, a hot long whatever....... or a tall cold whatever...... whatever, we need some recess. Embrace the hard times and get into it. It can be as real and rewarding as any aspect of life. We need more old school in this country and less new winy bitchy complaining. Go to work. Barbecue some chicken for God's Sake !!!!!!
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 01:18 AM
Tell that to all of the thousands of people that worked for Sharper Image, as the whole chain went out of business today, OR the 50 year old full-time pastor (of a church that barely pays him) who WAS working 35 hours a week at my shop to make ends meet. Notice the emphasis on WAS. Nobody's bitching or whining, just stating the facts that things are getting a little tight.
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 01:31 AM
the Lord "works" in mysterious ways.........
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 01:37 AM
Indeed he does, he is also very compassionate AND fair....'judge not, lest ye be judged, thus sayeth the Lord'.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 02:15 AM
i believe the profile of "most" people on this web sight are old school, they work in skilled trades & many are self-employed.........Most are not whining over weight complainers who don't know the value of a dollar...most are strong that don't complain & who will do what it takes to get er done.....Unfortunately most Americans are locked in @ 9-5 and at the mercy of an employer........I could go on & on about how spolied us Americans are however i don't think it will do any good to complain here...

...I try & go abroad once a year ( if i can afford it) just so i don't take all of our conveniences & comfortable life style for granted....
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 03:01 AM
Mick you are welcome anytime to sit and break bread at my table. Where and how I grew up we were always in a recession. I was raised on peas and cornbread and I still like peas and cornbread!!! But now I can have a porkchop to go with it.
Warren Buffet made a statement yesterday and said that we are in a recession...he would know.....
This tread is about a Harbor sign and I am guilty of getting off the subject.
$52,500 for a harbor sign is an awful lot of money for anything! I could buy alot of Crawfish for that!!!!
Paddy.
WTB picture Hawaiian shirts (summer will be here before you know it!!

[This message has been edited by texaspelican (edited 03-04-2008).]
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 03:10 AM
Recession: Two consecutive quarters with loss or no growth.

The first quarter has to be completed with a loss before a recession can occur.

As earlier stated, some things are off and some are booming. $100 oil, $9 gas, $10+ wheat....things in Oklahoma are prosperous. Granted, Seth's business are disposable income items and he has a nationwide customer base.

Two other ways to evaluate a recession.
1. The cardboard index, virtually everything is packaged in cardboard. If the paper mills production of cardboard is down, then economy is slowing.

2. The Maurice Campbell index. If Maurice's wholesale tobacco business is down on premium brands (Marlboro, Camel) and selling more generics (Bronson, etc) then the economy is down. People will always buy tobacco but just the cheap sutff when things are tight. (This is halfway said in jest, don't take too literal)
Posted By: souperhigh Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 03:22 AM
Harbor sign is a nice sign.
Edited to satisfy Wes!

[This message has been edited by souperhigh (edited 03-05-2008).]

[This message has been edited by souperhigh (edited 03-05-2008).]
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 11:22 AM
WHAT DOES ANY OF THIS HAVE TO DO WITH A GUY SPENDING HIS OWN MONEY BUYING A HARBOR SIGN ? "There has always been those that have and those that wish they had." Always will be.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 02:06 PM
I guess it is like everything, beauty in the eye of the beholder . But I would have to have a gorilla on my back to spend that kind of money on a sign. I shook off the monkeys a long time ago.
I would suppose some of Van Gogh's stuff was sold for lunch money at one time.
Posted By: dodogas Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 04:35 PM
The funny part is..

The bidder probably spent less time deciding to go that high, than it took most of us to write a response on here..

now that is impressive..
Posted By: minuteman Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 05:30 PM
LIFES LIKE THAT!
SOMEONE WILL PAY MILLIONS FOR A PAINTING I WOULDN'T GIVE 10 DOLLARS FOR.
SOMEONE WILL PAY 1 MILLION FOR A HEMI-CUDA OR A BASEBALL CARD.. DUH.
SOMEONE WILL PAY 50,000.00 FOR A GLOBE OR SIGN.
THE LIST GOES ON AND ON.
LIFE'S GOOD...IF YOUR THE SELLER OR BUYER!!!
AND EVEN BETTER JUST BEING ABOVE GROUND AND NOT BELOW!!
Posted By: tx_oil Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Wed Mar 05 2008 05:43 PM
Crawfish??? Speaking of crawfish, Paddy when ya gonna come have some with us down here in Swampville?

------------------
Robert Usrey
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 12:01 PM
Robert....tell me when and where.

------------------
Paddy
Posted By: aquartlow Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 06:47 PM
I want to share a true story….there were three guys that were Purebred Register Angus breeders that were looking for a bull to breed to some of their cows. A production auction was advertised with one of the Premier breeders of the Angus breed known for their quality seed stock. The first lot of the Sale was a young bull, nine months old with an impeccable pedigree and the three breeders felt this is the bull they all wanted to breed their cows to by way of artificial insemination. The Sale bill read; Selling 1/3 Semen Interest with No Possession rights, that was OK because they just wanted the semen. This means that 1/3 of all the semen produced by this bull would belong to the three breeders. A meeting was held and they decided to pony up $50,000 each, a total of $150,000 to try to buy 1/3 interest in this young bull.

Sale day, they arrived at the sale and determined who would do the bidding and went to find the best seat in the front row directly in front of the auctioneer. The Sale Manager introduced the dignitaries and made the buyers aware of the accomplishments of this historical herd and what a tremendous contribution it had made to the Angus breed. After bringing the crowd of Angus breeders from all over the country to ultimate excitement the Sale manager calls for Lot 1 to enter the sale ring . Again, the Sale manager goes through the calf’s pedigree and the accomplishments and championships of all of the get-of-sire. Now we are ready…

The three breeders were so excited and the auctioneer started his call. Who will give me a $100,000 opening bid, yep called the ring man then $150,000 was the next call then $200,000 came in. To shorten this a little the bull sold for $275,000 for 1/3 semen interest.

A good bull will produce 400 straws of semen per week. The semen sold for $50/straw and the semen on a good bull will sell in large volume for 2,3,4 years. This young bull had total semen sales in excess of
$2,000,000.

The three breeders didn’t even get to bid but they bought semen on the bull just the same. I call this an example of the Golden Rule, those that have the gold, rule.

And this is how that $60,000 sign was sold.

Mick

[This message has been edited by aquartlow (edited 03-06-2008).]
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 09:11 PM
Way to go Mick,,,, that's a good example,, I had the same story, short version, back a bit,, "there are those that have and those that wish they had.."
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 09:16 PM
i get the point mick,but i think your anology is gonna be a set up for a few jokes here!! not by me of course
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 09:16 PM
So how much semen did it take to buy the Harbor Sign? LOL
Mike
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Thu Mar 06 2008 09:36 PM
told ya!!
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Harbor Porcelain Sign Sells - Fri Mar 07 2008 12:23 AM
I have closed this topic, it is way off track.

Ryan
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk