Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bob Richards Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:21 AM
Since Tom shared, his beautiful Tok showcase in the Veltex wrapper.... I went looking on ebay for something in Veltex..

I found a G&B 106 on ebay in Veltex, also.......

To me this really is an "over the top" resto; I will let you decide for yourselves. Ebay auction # 220756226179

Posted By: D Phillips Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:26 AM
Are you saying it was overdone? or a job well done? I like it, but its a bit flashy for my taste, and waaaay out of my budget. Its a cool pump.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:33 AM
IMO, WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over done.....
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:53 AM
I AGREE, was looking at fry seller had and found this, looks like

a poster child pump, if you get my drift.OVER DONE. just think it

takes away from a great pump body ,cause you can't get past the

bold signage.
Posted By: mobil100 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:03 AM
so i guess this butler i did is over done

Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:13 AM
IMO, yes... But that is just my opinion. Take my opinion and $3 and one would be able to buy 1/2 a coffee at Starbucks.. grin

Nothing like that ever came from the factory and sure the hell wouldn't have been used at a station, looking as it does in the photo.

That paint job would have lasted about 2 seconds in a "real world" working situation. Once greasy hands and the first time the nozzle missed the hanger.....

As you already know, it doesn't matter what I think. And I do think it is a beautiful looking pump....

You have reason to be proud of it and that is all that matters!
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:22 AM
I wouldn't say that.
Mobil 100, yours is a beauty. I'd have to go back and look but ,the one Bobs speaking about if I remember correctly has large lettering on three sides, and just seems a bit much.
Posted By: Madison Oil Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:50 AM
The Texaco pump is killer! Forget what these other guys say, it is better than any pump they have for sure! You did not retore your pump for use at a station, you retored it for display in your shop, and it is First Class any day of the week for the rest of the world.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:22 AM
...remember folks: the term for an over-the-top pump restoration is 'circus peanut cart', coined in a flash of genius right here on Oldgas!...learn it, know it, live it... wink
YES, QUITE FLASHY AND OVERDONE...STILL NICE TO LOOK AT THOUGH EVEN IF NOT DONE TO ORIGINAL STANDARADS. BUT, ISN'T RESTORING A PUMP TO YOUR OWN STANDARDS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT?

I'M A SUCKER FOR VELTEX...SO I LIKE IT, OVERDONE OR NOT!
wink
Posted By: eshaver Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:50 AM
Like too many so called "Restored " vintage automobiles , the new owner puts every option andthen a few known to mankind on his new Charriot . Hey, if this is what turns ya on, kwell. To me ............ I can't post it as it's all too "X " Rated . Ed Shaver
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:05 PM
If we are going to hold the restoration standard to gas pumps as they looked when they were in service, nearly all restored gas pumps are overdone. Today's glossy paint, fine detailing and polished/plated details are way nicer than the brush-painted, low tech finish of the old days.

We usually tell people who ask, "It's your pump, do it as you want."

My personal opinion is that most "restored" gas pumps are really custom displays, not historically accurate restorations. The Veltex and Texaco branded pumps shown here are great pumps to begin with and show a lot of craftsmanship. I appreciate that whether I would have done it up the same or not. To each his own.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:14 PM
Well said Jim! I like em all!!!
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:17 PM
Yup, they are overdone, bring them to my house and let me slobber over them. I like overdone! That Indian pump don't look very shabby either, bring it along too. I've got lots of room for them.
Posted By: hillsideshortleg Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:21 PM
To me pumps are like women. They are all beautiful in there own way! Weather there wraped in gunny sacks or million dollar dresses.
I suppose im getting old but the newer, younger pumps just dont have the style or lines I like and when you get to the curb style pumps or pre-visable! I dont know? thier just a little to old for my taste no matter what you paint on them.
Am I nuts?
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:44 PM
I have also done pumps to more than factory condition, and like Jim said it is all up to the person what they want. Bernie matchen does over the top stuff and it is always stunning as others that also are on this site. In fact Frank's Bowser was another beautiful Restoration to me, but its all in what people want. I like pumps just in Primer so you can enjoy the pump itself, but that is just my opinion.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:57 PM
PUMP POLICE ARE OUT!!!!

Who cares how guys restore there pumps. I am getting ready to do mine and it will be over done.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 12:59 PM
Lets ruin it some more people... we already have tons of stuff not getting posted because of repop guys stealing images and now guys won't post pictures of pump because they will be afraid someone will tell them it's over done.
We keep going this site will be worthless.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 01:25 PM
John I think you're feeling the fumes from the black stuff in your conduit. LOL ;;;;;;;;;;Ron
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 01:35 PM
...oh, please - it's ever so tiring to read all of the Pump Police garbage anytime someone posts anything other than 'yay, great job, Skip! I'm drooling'...

...sakes alive...maybe we should just make this site one big frilly maypole dance with lots of pink lemonade for everyone - why should anyone offer differing opinions about anything?...some grown man's feelings might get hurt... cry
Posted By: strnge Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 01:46 PM
+1

Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Lets ruin it some more people... we already have tons of stuff not getting posted because of repop guys stealing images and now guys won't post pictures of pump because they will be afraid someone will tell them it's over done.
We keep going this site will be worthless.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:01 PM
I agree with Jim,"to each his own".Looking at the Veltex,most of the other pumps in the pic also look very highly detailed.IMO all the restorations were done to someones taste in pump restoration.I've got no problem with that and I think displayed togather they make a very eye catching presentation.

That is another question I have had to deal with over the years,"how far do I go with it?"What I do is display several pumps in various conditions;unrestored in need of restoration,restored but not really overdone(just off a pump island?),highly restored (very shiny,everything chrome or highly polished)and unrestored in displayable condition as found.

Then I point out that how far to go with it depends a lot,IMO,on what else is going to be displayed with it and the setting it will be in.To me,it is important that everything looks like they belong togather so to speak.

Then I wish them well in whatever they decide to do.
Posted By: DasFast1 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:10 PM
I don't think it is overdone. Very nice looking. I really really like the globe. Jarvis, where do i get a pair of repop police lights. I need those for my lubester. hehehe!

If I had the cash I'd over do mine too!
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:14 PM
Well, considering these pumps are basically ENORMOUS over-glorified lamps, do whatever you want. Dont forget, overdone isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just a term. Like restored cars; I like them all for what they are, some are 1959 caddies, some are 1962 plain jane ford falcons with a straight 6. Both are cool and both are classics. Just my 2 pennies.
Posted By: keithia Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:27 PM
I like them all. Way overdone, overdone, restored to original factory, original unrestored, pile 'o rust. Don't matter.

Keith
Posted By: The Brain Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:34 PM
I think the question was ...is it over restored..yes...yes it is.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 02:50 PM
Well atleast I got people talking and thinking... confused

There has been no name calling, throwing of chairs, etc.... shocked

So,it must be true... I'm getting old and losing my touch... cry grin

I think, most in the hobby who are nearing 60 and above remember gas pumps as the "work horse" in a station. A lot of us worked in stations as kids and young adults, those stations are considered "vintage" now... We cleaned windshields and all the windows, popped the hood and checked the oil, fluid levels and belts (there were no serpentine belts back then, thank god), we checked tire pressures even asked if the driver would pop the trunk lid so we could check the spare....As Jim said we remember the hand painted surface of a pump, because some of us did some of that painting.....

I guess my favorite pumps are those that look like they could be used at any time.... Hopefully, I do appreciate the beauty, skill and workmanship that goes into a "well polished" pump. To me these types of pumps become more a "work of art" than a pump and I'm more secure with an old work horse.... something I can relate too....
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:18 PM
...there's no denying that all of the pinstriping, chroming, 6 layers of clear-coat, Native American imagery, etc. take many hours...

...is it worth it? not to me...I'm more concerned with historical accuracy...anyone with enough money can spend their life savings turning their van into a dog...
Posted By: Bigchevy Al Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 03:48 PM
I think it looks good.
To each his own.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 04:08 PM
Bob, Sorry as i didn't answer the question on hand. Yes.. it is over done. Little more than my liking but i an going to restore mine to over done also but not quit that much. LOL
base clear paint, redone chrome, powercoated frame inside and original globe and sign.
Posted By: Tazz Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 04:22 PM
Originally Posted By: BIGTOM
Like restored cars; I like them all for what they are, some are 1959 caddies, some are 1962 plain jane ford falcons with a straight 6. Both are cool and both are classics.

Tht pump is not my taste but still beautiful.

I am still new to pumps but have been building / restoring cars for over 20 years now. Like BIGTOM said I appreciate them all (cars or pumps) for what they are and the work that goes into them. For me, I like to know what the original paint color and scheme was; however, that does not mean I am necessarily going to follow or recreate it. I have heard comments from some people on my pumps that the paint color is wrong, they never came with that paint scheme, you have the wrong nozzle and the list goes on and on. I listen to their critiques and take / learn from them; however, in no way do I ever let someone else tell me what I like or is "approved". People build what they like and how they like it. I have built cars for people that I would not be caught dead driving but it is what they like and that is all that truly matters.
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 04:26 PM
Some guys sure put allot of money and work into restoring their "globe holders". wink
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:12 PM
a labor of love.i like it,and if thats what you like go for it.if you dont like it,dont do it.easy enough.
Posted By: dundign Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 06:46 PM
Makes me want to post another pump picture ????
Posted By: Vermonter Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 07:44 PM
I have to say that I really enjoy "over the top" type restorations. Eye candy. But I also really like rattle can and brush jobs.
"Your pump, do as you like with it" is the best advice ever given on this forum.
John
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 07:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Tazz
I am still new to pumps but have been building / restoring cars for over 20 years now. Like BIGTOM said I appreciate them all (cars or pumps) for what they are and the work that goes into them. For me, I like to know what the original paint color and scheme was; however, that does not mean I am necessarily going to follow or recreate it. I have heard comments from some people on my pumps that the paint color is wrong, they never came with that paint scheme, you have the wrong nozzle and the list goes on and on. I listen to their critiques and take / learn from them; however, in no way do I ever let someone else tell me what I like or is "approved". People build what they like and how they like it. I have built cars for people that I would not be caught dead driving but it is what they like and that is all that truly matters.

...no one is telling you or anyone else what you like or what is 'approved'...you are obviously free to paint your pumps with polka-dots...while I think that would be an unfortunate choice, I don't care...but I honestly wouldn't be surprised...

...now, if you want to do that and then tell me, from a historical perspective, that it doesn't matter...well, you're just wrong...and telling newbies that it doesn't matter what they do is irresponsible...

...what if you told every new collector that sign and globe lens restoration was acceptable and made no difference in the value of the piece? Sure, there are some feel that way - but are you doing them a favor or disservice by telling them that?

...either a given pump is restored to how it would have originally appeared, when used, as spec'd by the oil company - or it's not...hence the 'right/wrong' comments...and, despite comments to the contrary, MOST of the companies that you guys go bonkers over DID spec color schemes, decal placement, sign location, etc. for their pump/station imaging...

...did some pumps get brush paint jobs during their years in service? Sure they did - that's how they were kept painted...

...were newly-crated Tokheim pumps delivered to Texaco stations in 1950 requiring a brush paint job? Of course not...

...did a few independents allow 'anything goes' with their pump paint schemes?...of course...but most aren't restoring your pumps to those obscure brands...I swear, sometimes it seems like half of us have to have a Polly pump...

...there are those who would sooner drink drain opener than buy a repro or fantasy sign (or one that's been 'restored')...but for some reason the standards they use to guide their sign collecting go out the window when it comes to pumps...

...NEWBIES: if you restore a pump as authentically as possible, you will be better off in the long run...whether you decide to keep it or sell down the road...
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:20 PM
Don't let a few people stop you from posting pictures of your gas pumps, Tom. Look at all the great comments you got on your Tokheim 34 Veltex in the Showcase forum. Most guys enjoy seeing restored gas pumps in all sorts of variations. But you can't make everyone happy.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:33 PM
Pump companies were in the business of making money, they had to stay competitive w/ the other companies making a similar products.
Sure they could have dolled them up as we are doing today, polishing, plating, color sanding out imperfections, etc etc. BUT they couldn't have stayed competitive. Even in the day $100-150 was a lot to pump gas & if they were lucky they made a PENNY Per Gallon.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:35 PM
...Jim - my comments were not directed at any one pump...I'm all about people posting whatever they want...there's no healthy discussion when everyone is in complete agreement about everything...of course intentional hurtful comments have no place on Oldgas - but honest debate keeps us on our toes and makes the hobby stronger...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:40 PM
POST them Tom, YOU won't receive .0001% of the FLACK I did/do for making use of pump parts. Bet they will even wait for the cow paddies to dry before slinging your way! laugh laugh
Posted By: Kyle Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 08:42 PM
I think the Texaco pump is killer looking. To me the extra detail work shows off the natural beauty of the pump. I would have to agree that it's over done, but I see no negative sides to that unless you were trying to convince somebody that's how it was back in the day. When I get started on my pumps they will be over done, but that's what floats my boat. Being a body man by trade, I will have to say I'm all about the details. I do think the huge letters on the Veltex pump are a little too much though. Just my opinion though.
Posted By: bppierce Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 09:34 PM
Looks as though the restoration isn't the only thing over the top.

When I was younger I used to have this girlfriend that would ask me a question during a fight, immediately answer it "for" me and then get even more po'd that that "my" answer was ridiculous.

I can't seem to find the post where anybody claimed that restoration was historically accurate. So to argue on that point: Melanie, is that you?

Jim, I couldn't have said your first post any better, thank you.
Posted By: mobil100 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 10:45 PM
i restore all my pumps over the top,like my texaco. the pump had alot of detail. so why not show it off. I can't figure why a person would spend so much time, and than not polish the the brass screws, or then paint some of the cast pieces, when with a bit of elbow grease they could shine them up or plate them. if it's a question of money, well save up another couple months. but thats my opinion, thats like restoring a car or custom building one. theres nice ones and so so. but to each own

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:30 PM
& then cut a corner w/ Ugliest Gilmore globe on the market!
What is the purpose of the double globe holder?
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
& then cut a corner w/ Ugliest Gilmore globe on the market!
What is the purpose of the double globe holder?

Rotater......
Posted By: PETRO NUT Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:41 PM
very well done mobil 100, both pumps. And right on cue is Mr. Ben.
Posted By: mobil100 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:48 PM
what was that a cheap shot. what a stupid comment Dyck. I don't stoop that low, by the way that was my choice not yours, how do figure that was cutting corners, 15 inch lenses arn't cheap no matter what is printed on them, if you do not have anything good say don't say anything. thats right you have to comment on everything.--by the way that is a rotating globe check this you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLJsRXdsMk
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Wed Mar 23 2011 11:52 PM
I like my gas pumps and soda machines to look stock. I want my stuff to look like it did back in the day because to me they are like a historic artifact. No pinstripes or highly polished metals or stickers everywhere. I have a Mae West to restore, it is going to be basically red paint everywhere because that is how it would have been new. I have been slowly getting ready (14 years now) to restore my Wayne 60. It will have the red and yellow intersecting design like Mobil100 just showed in Gilmore. Mine will have no bling, including no globe. I appreciate all the extra work that goes into the over-restoration, it just isn't for me.

Attached picture 100_4691.JPG
Posted By: DICK MILLS Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 12:51 AM
Over the TOP ? ~~~~~~~> I like it !
But I think I would have spent a little more $$$ on longer hoses -----
Posted By: bppierce Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 01:31 AM
Best thread EVER!

Unfortunately it's lowered itself to calling other members restorations (or at least some of their choices) ugly for no apparent reason - disappointing for sure.

Talk about flingin' the moist cow patties...
Posted By: itsagas Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 01:49 AM
I guess being a HotRod/StreetRod/Motorcycle builder and painter I look at things differently.
I have seen very few pumps that I would call over the top. Customizing is just an extention of each ones own personality. I like to see them all.
I will eventually have in my collection pumps that are painted with spray cans and others that will be highly polished bling-bling in your face. I feel there should be a place for everyones style to be shown and appreciated whether you like the style or not.
Posted By: coheley5 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 01:53 AM
Well I just painted my fry pump with a brush and I am going to put it outside next to the garage,my friend came over and said he just sent his to the body shop to have it refinished and powder coated. He could not believe I just painted it with a brush.I told him the skins are very rough and it looks good enough to me.
Posted By: Utahsignguy Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:36 AM
Can't accuse me of going over the top!

Posted By: pollyman Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:40 AM
This should get you all going. What can I say... I love my daughters! I like pumps no matter how they are restored!

Attached picture 05.1 Princess Tokheim 39 Short.jpg
Posted By: Nicole Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:46 AM
Jason,

Your girls, with their very own pump, must have been tickled pink! : )

BTW I'm on the fence on this issue. I admire the artistry of the restoration work, but when I paint old equipment from life (last time was tractors) I like really like putting the elegance and beauty of the old patina in a painting.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 05:31 AM
PRINCESS GASOLINE.... grin ... pretty pink pump pollyman!
Posted By: 67Chev4X4 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 05:41 AM
Thank you Jason. Now this conversation is off on the right track. Motch
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 06:15 AM
well i dont think they are over done i think they are all very nice its pretty much a matter of taste imo
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 06:44 AM
WOW! That is pink! I think this topic has brought out some good points and for the most part has been done with respect and tact. I guess I'm personally torn. I truely can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the "high end" restorations. I see these as the hot rod equivalent of cars in our hobby. These are flat out personal flavor creations that have their following and niche. On the other hand, we have the unrestored or freshened up and I liken these to "Drivers and Survivors" of the auto world. Then we have the "purists" who like the authenticity and chase of correctness much like the restorers of Period correct and auto clubs that grade on absolute perfection to originality. In the end I appreciate and like all forms though I may not like some restorations in all categories. I can recognize, however, that the diversity in these restorations helps to drive total interest in both cars and pumps alike and in the end is healthy to keeping them both alive and well. To answer Bobs oringinal question, Yes a little over the top..........but still a wonderful piece of work. The unit pictured earlier in all it's full rusty glory looks no less interesting to me in the end because I'll bet it's still a great conversation piece or "Driver".
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 08:59 AM
Having restored my fair share of gas pumps....I appreciate a good restoration. I also can understand the need to do something a little more, than original. I've seen too many buyers walk away from a Skychief pump done in correct plain silver only to buy one nearby done in green and black? In the business of sales, you sometimes do things, to a pump/ drink machine/ candy machine... that you would not do if it were for your own collection? It is inventive. Not wrong by any means and fun to see. Over the top....In my opinion.....Nothing is ever over the top if done with good taste and quality workmanship. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 12:23 PM
Originally Posted By: lordparaffin
we have the unrestored or freshened up and I liken these to "Drivers and Survivors" of the auto world. Then we have the "purists" who like the authenticity and chase of correctness much like the restorers of Period correct and auto clubs that grade on absolute perfection to originality.

...and those folks have my respect, as they are doing a real service by preserving history...

...the 'over the top' crowd have made a conscious decision that the history of a given pump (and its significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century) is less important than their personal taste...
Posted By: pollyman Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:07 PM
Now if I painted my Polly pump pink you all have my permission to put me out of my misery.

Attached picture polly pump.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: pollyman
Now if I painted my Polly pump pink you all have my permission to put me out of my misery.

laugh
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 02:51 PM
gasmangp-Paul, said it best a little bling,tastefulley done is where I'm at. I wouldn't throw down my hard earned money for the pump,we started this post with, but it has it's place in the collecter world,and if it floats your boat I'm cool. I agree with a lot of post that good condition survirers should be left untouched. We have had a lot of good out of this, and have found that there's no wrong or right,and every form of restoration has it's place.

JASON Don't worry if you paint your polly pink, I will dispatch the west coast goon squad.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Thu Mar 24 2011 03:53 PM
Quote:
Over the top....In my opinion.....Nothing is ever over the top if done with good taste and quality workmanship.
I respect all opinions of this thread (one of the best thus far IMO), but the above is probably the most accurate of all. Again... IMO.
Posted By: strnge Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Fri Mar 25 2011 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: pollyman
This should get you all going. What can I say... I love my daughters! I like pumps no matter how they are restored!

I saw them selling that brand of gas at Disneyland last year. It is real. LOL
Posted By: strnge Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Fri Mar 25 2011 01:52 AM
I like that Polly pump! Now it is time for me to chime in.

Over the top, no. Every sign, can, pump, cabinet, display case etc...has it's place. The over the top as you might call it has it's place just like an original rust bucket. If it matches the theme around it, then it's done correctly. If it does not, then it is time to make the surrounding items match in quality. Kind of like spending $10000 on painting a car and throwing the pitted and non polished trim back on the car. It looks all wrong.
Posted By: open wheel Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Fri Mar 25 2011 02:41 AM
Quote:
...the 'over the top' crowd have made a conscious decision that the history of a given pump (and its significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century) is less important than their personal taste...

So if I add a polished nozzle, maybe some chrome and color sand my 2-tone pump I'm now turning my back on "the history of our country"?
Posted By: mobil100 Re: Over the top restoration, you decide.... - Fri Mar 25 2011 03:01 AM
And may I add to that, So Chip Foose and others should not touch great american muscle cars and their significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century. you wont find to many people who would cut his work up, and he goes over the top on his cars, and most likely would with a pump
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk