Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BIGTOM Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 19 2011 03:55 PM
I have got to ask (and this is directed to everyone who is reading)... WHERE IN THE HECK DO YOU FIND THIS STUFF??? I wear the antique places out around here and there is nothing cool. Everything is either waaaay overpriced or completely rusted out/delapitated. Do you guys just drive around checking things out? If that's the case, I'm sure I can handle that, but I need a little strategy here.

thanks in advance

BIGTOM
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 19 2011 09:24 PM
Put WANTED ads in all available free online classified ads in your area and surrounding areas. Most of my stuff comes this way. Also visit antique stores, many of them will take your name and contact you if something comes in that may be of interest. Other source for me is local auctions and eBay. But 80% of my stuff comes from word of mouth or classified ads.
Posted By: barn_raider Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 12:31 AM
Hey Colin - You have better luck than me with the ads. I have better luck in barns and old buildings but you gotta always dig and can't be afraid of coonsh*t! Like the hole I dug this out of last week.....

PS: Colin that came from Casey, going to a friend in Toronto - making a pit stop on my barn for a while inbetween.

Posted By: Old Iron Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 02:58 PM
Hi Bigtom,

Good question about where to find this stuff.As it happens, I have been asked the same question many times because I display stuff from all over the country.Ebay always comes up and I point out that maybe a dozen pieces in my collection came from Ebay that I know of.

I work almost entirely within collector circles.Be patient and you will find the good stuff.For starters,subscribe to both PCM and CTO and read the classifieds.Watch Dan Matthews'auctions and check out Scott Benjamin's website.Check the for sale forum on here every day.I do.

Some guys do really well on Ebay,it's just that I prefer to talk to guys who use phrases like "hey,the mail goes both ways".Good luck!!
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 03:33 PM
Thanks for the tips - my "collection" consists of 2 cans and my pump that I am restoring. I will check into the auction sites, cant do that at work - FIREWALL!!! For this type of stuff, I stay away from fleaBay as there are too many fakes as evidenced by the numerous threads on this site - the fakers are pretty savvy and for a noob like myself, I just stay away. I think I am going to just take some time and drive around the local towns, get out of the city and the stupid high prices.

Thanks again for the tips - I am going to check into some auctions too!!!

BIGTOM
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 04:45 PM
start dropping by on guys collections that lives near you!
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 08:16 PM
I find 99% of my stuff on local cable companies claasifieds. Most small town areas like mine, have small internet/cable companies, with classifieds. Lots of others here are doing what I do, but none pay for their ads. Mine are at the top of each page, color pics and bold. 11 bucks a month per ad. I have 4 running non stop. 5-10 emails and 5 calls a day.
PS put them in section where people you want look. I dont put mine in Antiques or cllectibles all the time. I go to... classic cars, home for sale, trucks for sale and the best place I have found... farm equipment ! Think about it, whos look in that area smile
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 20 2011 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: BIGTOM
Thanks for the tips - my "collection" consists of 2 cans and my pump that I am restoring.

I'll make you a deal Tom. Pm me with your address, and I'll send ya' a box of goodies...
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 12:09 AM
Back in the day when DB, me and a few others were cleaning out bulk plants, the stuff shown above is what we left behind. That kind of stuff had to be NOS for us to bring it home.

You need to decide what to collect. What is shown above is to me not a collection, it is an accumulation. I once had over 600 different handy-oilers, that was a collection, but I even had a friend who had over 3000 handy-oilers in his collection.

Decide what you want to collect, concentrate on finding that, buy other items that are first "nice" (something someone might want to display in his collection), second "cheap" so you can resell them for a profit to use to buy things you collect. Don't believe postings where guys say "I only buy, I don't sell." Everybody sells. If you found 10 identical Texaco globes you would sell 9 and keep one.

Check with other collectors, get ideas from them on what they collect.

I collect air meters and literature.
DB collects very early general store pumps and rare gas pumps.
Dennis M. collects very early gas pumps.
Scott B. collects globes.

Lastly, if you are looking to accumulate items like the ones shown above, check with the old timers like me and DB, I know I have boxes of stuff that I would sell for what I paid for them back in 1988, and that wasn't much, and I'm just too old to load a truck, and drive to a swap meet to sell it.

Hell, I gave away a working three wheel computer at the last show I did, because I didn't want to pick it up and put it back in the truck.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 12:59 AM
Ha Ha, I have Thrown stuff away, because some didn't want to pay for postage!
[WISH I had a RARE PUMP, only what I have or had Built!]
Posted By: barn_raider Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 02:34 AM
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
What is shown above is to me not a collection, it is an accumulation

Actually that was just stuff we unloaded off the truck after clearing out a building slated for demolition, which was a cool opportunity - some advice there for BIGTOM. You may not find (or afford) homerun pieces every time (bulk plants, thats a different story, but don't hold your breath 'cause all these old hands did them years ago) but clean up what you find and put it into your collection, it can/will be something to be proud of.

I really wished I lived closer to you Jack - I'd be over there with two strong backs and a pickup tomorrow!

Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 09:58 AM
BIGtom, Don't listen to Jack, Collect a Variety of items at this point and you will be much happier. Trying to collect just one certain type of item today is frustrating and not easy. Collect anything and everything you can afford and then at a later time you can re-focus and fine tune your collection. As you know, It is not easy finding stuff for everybody. Rick
Posted By: carzncoke Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 01:19 PM
Try this on-line mall for VINTAGE Advertising.
www.icollect247.com
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 02:24 PM
Even in a bad economy, the price on gas items is very strong. Finding items that are priced right based on condition is the hardest thing to find. It all depends where you are located in the country. If you are in a urban city area-it will be a challenge to find this stuff-If you are in an area where the property does not change hands as much you will have better luck(barns and garages). Tag sales and garage sales are a good place to start. It's very hard to find good items at garage sales and estate sales but you get lucky once in a while. The stuff is still out there but most of the people selling the stuff "think" they are educated on what the value is. Finding good deals is a challenge, but they are out there.

This is my best find from an estate sale:

Posted By: Vermonter Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 07:51 PM
Bigtom, I feel your pain. Most of the state of vt was picked clean a long time ago. Most of what you do find is overpriced in antique stores. However, the best bet is to have your wife drive whenever you go anywhere and keep your eyes peeled. Special attention to the sides of barns and outbuildings. Good luck.
John
Posted By: tuhll Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 08:05 PM
I always ask at yard sales if they have any old cans. They usually say no, so I look to see if they have an old barn or shed in back and ask if I can look in there. I sometimes get lucky and find something there. The owner is shocked that they actually did have an old can. Haven't been lucky enough to find any good advertising signs yet, but I don't give up easily.
Good luck.
Posted By: 60wayne Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 08:56 PM
I find it fairly easy to find stuff if you have lots of different interests. I go to auctions and antique shows as often as I can, yard sales, craig's list, e-bay , gas shows and car shows. It's out there if you look !
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 21 2011 09:36 PM
BIGTOM, have you decided on the approach your want to take with your collecting? What I mean is; Are you leaning towards the "shotgun collecting" approach, where you pick up anything and everything that could relate to the hobby? Or are you after specific items and/or company's?

That distinction will make a difference on where to look and whom to talk to.... To find the types of items you are looking for.

Asking the question here was a good way to start. I'm sure a couple of collectors in your area have already contacted you. If you are more specific with your needs/wants, then other collectors might also be of help.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Fri Apr 22 2011 11:05 AM
I have great luck at scrap yards. I travel for a living and always keep an eye out for scrap yards. I ask nicely if I can walk around and look for stuff. Many tell me it is too dangerous in the yard, or simply "Get lost!" A few here and there will let you in. All but 2 of my pumps have come from scrapyards. I see cans all the time there, and a few signs. Now most of this stuff most of the collectors here would pass on, but for me this stuff is few and far in between so I take what I find. I should also note that I love the junk look, as scratches, dents and rust is history too.
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Fri Apr 22 2011 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
BIGTOM, have you decided on the approach your want to take with your collecting? What I mean is; Are you leaning towards the "shotgun collecting" approach, where you pick up anything and everything that could relate to the hobby? Or are you after specific items and/or company's?

That distinction will make a difference on where to look and whom to talk to.... To find the types of items you are looking for.

Asking the question here was a good way to start. I'm sure a couple of collectors in your area have already contacted you. If you are more specific with your needs/wants, then other collectors might also be of help.

Thanks for the tips guys - I would like to just focus on one item, but since I am still pretty new with the hobby I am going with the shotgun approach at this time; the signs are probably what I will gravitate toward considering my background in ads/graphics etc.
Posted By: kookeytalker Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:54 AM
I'm in an identical boat as Tom, but I don't even have a pump to work on. frown My plans are as follows:

Restore a pump. I really want one for my garage and I'm looking for a summer project.

Collect some signs. I love Gulf and Sinclair but am open to anything.

Since I'm a Jeep guy I like anything Willys, Overland or Jeep related.

I also love the glass oil bottles, especially Polarine, I just have a hard time paying $100 for them at the malls around here.

So far my collection consists of a parking meter, a traffic light, a walk/don't walk light, and I have a fire hydrant coming this week. No realy petroliana yet. I did go to the a recent auction in Raymond, IL and am kicking myself for not buying something. I want to go to Dayton in two weeks but I don't think I have deep enough pockets to buy anything there.

So...anyone know of a good Tokheim around St. Louis I could pick up to work on?
Posted By: kookeytalker Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:01 AM
As a follow up, what is the protocol for signage on abandoned buildings or current signage on running businesses? Has anyone had luck approaching a business owner and attempting to buy their sign?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:13 AM
Originally Posted By: kookeytalker
As a follow up, what is the protocol for signage on abandoned buildings or current signage on running businesses? Has anyone had luck approaching a business owner and attempting to buy their sign?

Everything belongs to somebody. Legally and morally, you should look up the owner in county records, talk to neighbors or other ways to find the owner. Some are happy to sell or give stuff away. Others will say, "get off my property and mind your own business." Still others will give an outlandish high price.

We have had heated discussions here about what is "abandoned" or OK to just take. Those who have had things taken from their property, often respond to a suspicious noise with a weapon. Always ask. Better than getting shot or jailed.
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:13 AM
If you like it, acquire it. A lot of this hobby is about getting the types of items you like and want. You have to look regularly and go out of your way to get what you want. "Items Wanted" ads might help. Over time, petroliana items will become more difficult to find. Dave Folck
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:20 AM
I did go to the a recent auction in Raymond, IL and am kicking myself for not buying something. I want to go to Dayton in two weeks but I don't think I have deep enough pockets to buy anything there. So...anyone know of a good Tokheim around St. Louis I could pick up to work on?

Go to the swap meet in Evansville, IN on May 14. Usually some affordable and some real nice stuff there. You can be home by 2 pm. It's not that far from you. Click on "Events" at the top of this page.
Posted By: oilman514 Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:21 AM
this weeknd i purchased a mobilgas sign off of a closed down mobil station and it had been on the building since 1950 until i took it down this weekend. and the man i bought it off was the original owner of the station and still owns it.it was obviously sentimental to him. all the guys in town asked me how in the heck i ever bought it off of him and i said told them i ASKED and thats all it takes all you can be told is no
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 01:53 AM
The Mohawk sign onwer, didnt need the money and didnt want to sell cause it was sentimental.
1st conversation I learned, how long it was there and that he had loads of money.
2nd coversation I learned, it was sentimental on no amount of money could buy it.
3 rd conversation, since he is 80+ and is ready to close his tire shop. I told him, what I tell lots of older guys. In a nut shell... " This has been in your family for 60 years, I know it means a lot to you. One rock from a kid or wind storm and that sign is junk. I can give you some money for it, resell it, I can make some money and some collector will keep it safe and sound for another 60 years. WE are preserving a piece of history"
I know, sounds like a line, but thats what happens! They love the idea of their item being saved. I make some money and I love passing things along to collectors.
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 02:31 AM
So it's all about the money.

I sell to add something new.

What I perceived from your post is your not a collector, but a flipper.

Maybe just a misunderstanding. Not here too insult, just trying to figure out the objective.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 02:49 AM
Flash the objective here, is YOUR objective. What do YOU want from the hobby?

Some people are in it only for the money, and thats ok. We all need to make a living. Some people are in it for sentimental reasons, either a family member, or they themselves, worked for an oil company.

Seek you own satisfaction from the hobby. The collection, and the satisfaction are YOURs, and nobody elses.

I've found old bikes in the wild. I've even found a couple of pumps, but I cant find the post now. Its in the old forum, maybe Jim will find it for us. Jim, please? "The Thrill of the Hunt". Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 02:56 AM
Its about the hunt first, making some cash too, its my fulltime job. I love that I find stuff going to ---- and pass it along to a collector and I make some cash at the same time. ALL the sellers know what I am doing. When they ask what I sold their item for, I tell them.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 03:50 AM
Go to current operating business & ASK if they have any old/new signs they didn't/aren't going to use For Sale. If you don't ask, they will never know your interested. Ask if you can leave a WANTED adv. somewhere close to counter.
Find the coffee shop/cafe where the Older generation hang out in the mornings, let them know what your looking for.

Flash, he was a collector for almost a week. Till someone offered enough $$$$ for him to remove sign from wall! laugh
Posted By: strnge Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 03:53 AM
I collect what signs I can for the right price. I do not pay retail. NO WAY! I find out what the going value for the object is, and I proceed to buy it at the lowest price I can. I do not "in the heat of the moment" buy anything UNLESS it is way lower than retail price. Since I know what the object is worth on the open market. I will buy some things just to resell them to fund my collection, but that is rare. Again it must be way under the open market value!

I collect 90% signs and 10% other gas related. If I had a building to put stuff in to, or build a 30's-50's gas station on property (which would most likely be never due to where I live) I would open my collection up to include all gas stuff. I live 3 blocks from San Francisco and all the homes around here are on 35 foot wide patches. Smashed in like sardines!
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 11:44 AM
Thats right Dick ! Everything is for sale. Except my toys !
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:05 PM
flash_1967
Everybody is a seller sooner or later,,collectors are lucky there are sellers ( or flippers as you call them )..
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:08 PM
Thanks Wes. I try to tell people that a seller/flipper should be their best friend. Some dont get that!
Posted By: Jarvis Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:17 PM
Mike,
I know from my personal experience and a few others that a collector will pay sometimes way more than an item is worth. Just the nature of collecting... sometimes you get a great deal and sometimes you pay to much. Every ones wants to be cautious of what they spend but sometimes people put to much emphasis on wanting it cheap.
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:26 PM
WE AGREE ON THAT JOHN....
Posted By: Wes Hague Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 12:27 PM
Actually I think they are jealous that sellers/flippers make some money on them, but if it weren't for them they wouldn't find it.. COLLECTORS can't be everywhere and find everything,,, sometimes it's us sellers that dig stuff up for them..we should be thanked not critized for our hard work,,, LOL !!!!!!
( Actually I'm a collector/seller,,,) that way I can afford more stuff to collect,,,but Shhhh,,, lets not tell the die hard collectors that Bill....ha,ha,ha,,,..
Posted By: BIGTOM Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 04:11 PM
99%* of stuff is for sale - dont care how rare it is, if someone wants it bad enough and has deep enough pockets, it will be theirs.

*heirlooms and one-of-a-kind things
Posted By: strnge Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Mike,
I know from my personal experience and a few others that a collector will pay sometimes way more than an item is worth. Just the nature of collecting... sometimes you get a great deal and sometimes you pay to much. Every ones wants to be cautious of what they spend but sometimes people put to much emphasis on wanting it cheap.

That is the truth. That is why you need to be educated and patient. This website has educated me so much! I continue to be educated daily on here as well. This website is a phenomenal resource for information and "flippers".

I agree with the "flippers" here, if it wasn't for them, these items would not be here or anywhere up for sale. They would still be collecting dust somewhere.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 08:45 PM
I hate to correct you Bigtom,but you are wrong when you say "99%of stuff is for sale" regardless.You have to understand that to many collectors,collecting for the enjoyment of the hobby and preservation of history as aprimary motives,money is of little significantance.

I could point to several examples where very valuable pieces and/or collections are being donated to museums reater than being sold.A couple of examples have been posted on here.

Further,around here,I could name some collectors who have been asked to "just put a price on it" and responded "not for sale".Money can buy things from people who want money;it can't buy history from those who value it more than money.
Posted By: always lookin Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Tue Apr 26 2011 09:12 PM
My best donation this year, one of many, was a 1860's minute book, hand written for the buying of supplies, hiring men, building a derrick and striking oil. They named it the Drake Well.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 12:20 AM
Originally Posted By: always lookin
Thats right Dick ! Everything is for sale. Except my toys !

AND DICK's 36B TOPS smile
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 12:31 AM

I also love the glass oil bottles, especially Polarine, I just have a hard time paying $100 for them at the malls around here.

I just sold two POLARINE bottles on Ebay for $132 for the pair, with original spouts and caps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150592047924
Ebay is good place to finds deals.
Or watch sites like ours. I sell most of my pumps from our site and a want list from customers.
Good Luck hunting! smile
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 12:34 AM
Quote:
AND DICK's 36B TOPS

Dick WHO?
ROTF,LMAO
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 12:46 AM
Many good hidden deals on ebay. I found an original 1920's Porcelain ford parts sign in near mint condition listed in the wrong area with a vague title for a steal. The stuff is there just look.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 01:21 AM
BIGTOM, I collect two companies, one pretty common and I have history with,thru my work.Other was bought out during depression in 1940, so not so common and not easy to find items.I have contacted collectors that buy and sell, have websites shared that I have interest in this company and they give me heads up when they get items, for resale. I don't sell, unless I replace a item with a better condition item. So everything is not for sell, not here anyway. Changed the course of my interest,, and did sell some texaco stuff, but I sold to friends that showed interest. Got out the other day and found small town stuck in time, still has bulk station, about 20 DX pumps lined up on a old house porch. Just got to keep your eyes open, and willing to explore out of the way places.
Posted By: eric grinder Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Wed Apr 27 2011 11:19 PM
Hey I wish I lived closer to Always Lookin....I'd be at his place once a week to see what was new! I wish I had a few friends here in MA like that. Nothing wrong with making an honest living. It's hard work MOST of the time!
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Where do you find this stuff? - Thu Apr 28 2011 11:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
I hate to correct you Bigtom,but you are wrong when you say "99%of stuff is for sale" regardless.You have to understand that to many collectors,collecting for the enjoyment of the hobby and preservation of history as primary motives,money is of little significance.

I could point to several examples where very valuable pieces and/or collections are being donated to museums reater than being sold.A couple of examples have been posted on here.

Further,around here,I could name some collectors who have been asked to "just put a price on it" and responded "not for sale".Money can buy things from people who want money;it can't buy history from those who value it more than money.

Like many collectors I buy a few items to resell to help fund my collecting. The focus of my collection has changed over time so I sometimes sell off pieces that no longer fit in with the focus of my collection. Under the right circumstances I might even sell a portion of my globe collection, but about 1/3 of my globes and my Sinclair collection will not be for sale in my lifetime.

Back to the original topic....
The stuff is everywhere. You have to work at it! Local auctions, flea markets, automotive swap meets, petroliana swap meets, ebay, petroliana auctions, and antique malls, dealers and collectors.
At this point I mostly buy at petroliana auctions and from dealers.
Collect what you like and what you can afford. You'll likely refine the focus of your collection over time.
When I was starting out a veteran collector friend would preach to me condition, condition,condition. He would tell me no matter how much money I had to spend at a show or auction I should buy the single best item I could afford rather than buying multiple cheaper, less desirable items. That was excellent advice.
Most of us collect a variety of things but focus mainly on certain items like handy oilers, or gas pump salt and pepper shakers, or signs, or anything from a certain company. Some guys won't buy anything unless its a deal. Once you refine the focus of your collection you'll likely be less concerned about finding a "deal" than buying an item that you need to fill a void in your collection.
Go to as many petro shows and auctions as you can. Network with other collectors and dealers. The friendships you make at the shows and auctions will make the hobby that much more enjoyable.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk