Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stu K. Display case for a sign - Sun Sep 18 2011 03:54 PM
My collection of signs is displayed in a working shop. One sign that I picked up recently is rare and in top condition. Because of mounting tabs on the back, I am mounting it to a piece of plywood. Also, I'm going to make a frame and enclose it behind glass for protection from dust, fly specs, and spider webs. Should I drill a couple of holes (probably on the bottom) for some type of ventilation to atmosphere or just totally enclose it? The sign is porcelain.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Display case for a sign - Sun Sep 18 2011 03:59 PM
i would think holes would let in spiders,and dust.unless you are building a real tight case,shouldnt be needed.also being that it is porc,it should be fine.
Posted By: Stu K. Re: Display case for a sign - Sun Sep 18 2011 04:02 PM
Should have stated the holes would be covered with tight mesh screen. Thank you for the input.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Display case for a sign - Sun Sep 18 2011 04:15 PM
I would be more worry about sign being secure to the wall and falling down and getting damaged ,then Spider webs, and fly specks,dust. That's not going to hurt a porcelain sign.As long it's out of the elements.
Posted By: keithia Re: Display case for a sign - Sun Sep 18 2011 04:53 PM
Stu,

Unless it has a chance to be hit by something to damage the porcelain it will be fine hung on the wall as. You can always clean it up again without too much effort. Just make sure it is secure to the wall.

Keith
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk