Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: keithia Chemical strip or blast - Thu Dec 01 2011 11:26 PM
I am getting ready to do my Bennett 76 and my bodyshop wants to chemical strip the panels instead of sandblasting. I have had a few blasted and have had no problems but I'm not so sure on the use of chemicals on the surface rust. Will it even eat it out and will I have a rust problem down the road??? Also it will not be dipped but hand applied.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Chemical strip or blast - Thu Dec 01 2011 11:33 PM
Stripper works good, I dont care for it much because it is expensive to get rid of the waste.
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 12:49 AM
Stripper is fine for taking off paint, but I only trust blasting to eradicate rust.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 01:02 AM
Most Chemical stripping takes longer, but can get into areas that sandblasting can't. As Ryan says "is expensive to get rid of waste" IF done correctly & legally [can be real Expensive if they are caught illegally dumping].
Anyone having something chemically stripped should let stripper know in writing that some parts might be made of Pot, White, Alum or Zinc metals [car guys include Magnesium], Hot or Caustic Tanking will Destroy these metals.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 02:43 AM
Originally Posted By: keithia
I am getting ready to do my Bennett 76 and my bodyshop wants to chemical strip the panels instead of sandblasting. I have had a few blasted and have had no problems but I'm not so sure on the use of chemicals on the surface rust. Will it even eat it out and will I have a rust problem down the road??? Also it will not be dipped but hand applied.

I would think hand applied chemical rust/paint removal would be more labor intensive than blasting. If they are not dipping it I don't see the advantage..unless they're not experienced at blasting on panels. Maybe they are afraid of warping them..which means they may need to change what media they usually use.
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 04:01 AM
i tried some chemical stripper and it didnt work very well. i ended up using a wire wheel and it worked great. took awhile but was very inexpensive
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 05:04 AM
Blasting is the only way in my opinion.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 10:06 AM
In the warmer months, I have a dip system that I employ. It is a chemical base mixed with water. Although it does a good job, removing all the paint,I still sandblast after the dip to remove any rust. I guess I am too particular since I use both methods on every pump? Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: Recycle68 Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 12:32 PM
If there are several coats of paint (3-4 or more of thick paint) I will use paint stripper to get most of it removed. I then take the panels to a shop that has a 10'x6'x6' blast cabinet and for $18 per hour I blast my panels. They supply everything and I do the blasting. It take 2+ hours to do four panels and the top.
Blasting is the best for rust removal....
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 01:23 PM
That is a sweet deal.I wish that person would franchise that. Dave
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 01:42 PM
its either/or if its done right. they both are equally effective. only downfall to chemical dipping is they arent etched for etch primer/sealer when are get done. so blasting eliminates a step. and as long as you blast with walnut there is minimal metal loss and warpage. with dipping it can cause problems later if there is hidden spots on the part that cant be sprayed and will be left bare for corrosion.
Posted By: Thunder II Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 02:58 PM
Electrolosys...

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp
Posted By: billyd Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 08:58 PM
I have all my pumps dipped.The guy runs them thru the strip tank and then thru a rust remover and when I get them back they are as clean as new, hit them with 220 paper and a good etching primer and you are good to go.Never had any rust problems after.Bill
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Chemical strip or blast - Fri Dec 02 2011 09:07 PM
Can I ask you what he charges per pump?
Dave
Posted By: Seahag Re: Chemical strip or blast - Sat Jan 28 2012 02:30 AM
Dad's Easy Spray Paint Remover will take the paint right off. It runs around $14.99 a quart which is enough to do a pump. The directions tell you to leave it for 15 minutes, but you can literally watch it bubble up. Once the paint is off, we can do sandblasting without the danger of lead paint.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk