Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: zerovision New Member seeking info on sign recently purchased - Mon Feb 20 2012 02:20 PM
Hello everyone,

Happy to be joining Shop Talk. Hoping to get info about the company, history, any info on this sign.

Attached picture IMG_0191 small.jpg
Welcome to Old Gas, from Missouri!!
Welcome to Oldgas.
Welcome to oldgas, I havn't a clue about your sign. Wish I could help.
Welcome to Oldgas.com!
Posted By: Oldgas Re: New Member seeking info on sign recently purchased - Mon Feb 20 2012 07:43 PM
There is a "Big 3" auto salvage yard in House Springs, MO. I imagine there have been many used car dealerships around the country with that name. Back 30+ years ago the "big three" auto manufacturers were GM, Ford and Chrysler. A lot has changed since then.
I haven't seen a Big 3 oil company, but there could have been a local station or chain with that name. Here is a link to a Big 3 oil can. Probably wouldn't be the same as your sign (note the oil company name).

http://www.gaspumps.info/gallery/v/quarts/g/gc_big3.jpg.html
I believe there was a BIG 3 in Tulsa years ago.Welding supplies,Oxygen and Acetelyn.
Posted By: Nicole Re: New Member seeking info on sign recently purchased - Mon Feb 20 2012 11:59 PM
Repost your question in the General Petroliana section as more OLDGAS members look there than here. Also if you know the provenance (history/location) of the sign, perhaps someone from that neck of the woods might know about your specific sign.
Posted By: zerovision Big 3 porcelain sign need history if any can help. - Tue Feb 21 2012 03:46 PM
Hoping to get info about the company, history, any info on this sign. Original owner stated that this was on a gas pump for many years in South Carolina, but no other information.

Attachments

Attached picture IMG_0191 small.jpg
Posted By: eshaver Re: Big 3 porcelain sign need history if any can help. - Tue Feb 21 2012 04:05 PM
Contact either Gulfglenny or Wayne Henderson would be my best guess . Ed Shaver
There was a "Big-3" oil line that was produced by the Georgia-Carolina Oil company. The G-C oil company was based in either Macon or Columbus Georgia.

I believe that Scott Shipers has a really clean version of that Big 3 can for sale right now.
All of the G-C Oil cans, papers, etc that I have seen show the company based in Macon, GA. However, I am not an authority on G-C, but see a lot of it in my area.

As for the Big 3 sign, it's a new one to me.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk