Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: tallgye49 HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Wed Dec 27 2006 05:53 PM
Just had a colonoscopy done this morning. Doc found two polyps and lasered them off. I'm glad that I finally listened to my girlfriend and had it done. Most likely the polyps are benign. Biopsy results will be available next week. If you're over 50 and haven't had one done, haul your butt in and have the 50,000 mile check. I think I saved myself some grief, guys. All my best to all of you--HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Dave Folck
Posted By: gasoildude Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Wed Dec 27 2006 10:25 PM
Been there done that at 35. Didnt like it but like you said save yourself some grief & have it done.
Posted By: gaspower Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 03:25 AM
Dave speaks the truth. I lost my younger brother at age 52 last year, the test might have saved him if he had done it. You betcha I had mine done soon after, clean as a whistle. Plus, you can get the DVD from the Dr. and watch it when you're really bored.

Vern
Posted By: FrankSargent Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 03:39 AM
Right on Dave... I had it done last summer and they found one polyp which, if left as was, could have caused me some real grief down the road. Dr. put me on a schedule to have it every three years. Good advise for anyone over 50.

------------------
Frank
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 12:25 PM
I turn 50 in January, already made my appointment. Brady
Posted By: Mac Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 12:50 PM
I haven't had it done personally, but need to get in and get it done. I'm 36.

My Dad has his private pilots license and has to get an exam done annually to keep his license up to date. He's 69 years old. About two years ago, his doctor recommended he have another colonoscopy done. They found a polyp that they had to remove along with about 21 inches of his lower intestine. The polyp was cancerous. He's been back for subsequent check ups and he's had no recurrences.....no cancer! He was supposed to be in the hospital for 5 days. On the second day he was there he got dressed and told them that he was leaving. Tough old guy. Glad he got it checked out!

Mac
Posted By: Howardstibel Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 01:06 PM
I had mine done 7 weeks before I turned 50. One thing everyone needs to do is make sure there is no age restriction on their health insurance. My insurance told doctors office it was a covered benefit for me once every 10 years, but they didn't mention age 50 restriction. To make the story short, had it done then the insurance wouldn't pay becuase i wasn't 50. A year and a half later and $1900 poorer I'm still fighting with them. My advice is to check and double check with insurance providers and get names and last names when you speak to someone. Ironic thing about it is I did it 7 weeks early because it coincided with some vacation time, that way I wouldn't miss work. Howard
Posted By: Alex Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Thu Dec 28 2006 06:22 PM
I, too, am going in this year. The big 5-0. A good friend called us a week ago (49) and they found colon cancer. Polyp was as large as a cherry. Nothing to mess with guys.
Posted By: bammo Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 01:13 AM
38 and two pre-cancerous ones removed last month.

NOTE - starting these tests if you are 50 is a good idea but if you have *any* history of colon, bowell or blood cancers in your family start getting 3 yearly tests when you are in your 30's.

The test itself is nothing, the awful stuff you have to drink the morning before is , pardon the pun, a real pain in the butt though!!!
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 02:07 AM
bammo-- Man will I ever drink to that!!!!
Posted By: casey the beagle Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 08:11 AM
mac your dads 1 tough gentleman i am 46 and had 12 inches of intestine removed and could not move for 4 days still it was worth it get the colonscopy done before its to late
Posted By: gasoildude Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 08:40 PM
Hey tallgye bammo it what it sounds like the night before ROTFLMAO
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 11:11 PM
I have some of the "flavored drink" you take the day before the procedure which I'll trade for a "lubester." Just kidding...gawd, that stuff is awful. It a miracle there was anything left of me to take to the procedure after I drank the stuff...
Posted By: Daveb Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 11:24 PM
Did mine about 4 months ago. I'm not sure what he meant, but the Doc said I was a perfect *** !?!?
Posted By: st.rod Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Fri Dec 29 2006 11:38 PM
To bring it back to serious for just a moment if I may. Colon cancer is looked at the same way heart disease is: A mans problem.

So wrong! Women need to be checked as well but for whatever reason they are overlooked.

My wifes family had a history of cancer and her doctor suggested she have a colonoscopy. It absolutely saved her life. It showed what was diagnosed as Colon cancer but turned out to be high grade dysplacia. Still had colon surgery. But would surely have died if not for the test. Polyps are COMMON and are removed and biopsied. And even if they had cancer cells the diagnosis is early. EVERY polyp left to grow can become cancerous.

My doctor tells me any man or WOMAN should have it done at 50 years old or when recommended by their MD.

Thankful in Colorado
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Sat Dec 30 2006 12:37 AM
Yes, women are at risk too. If not for a supportive girlfriend, I would have put this off.
Posted By: VW (o\!/o) NUT Re: HAVE YOU SEEN A DOCTOR RECENTLY? - Tue Jan 02 2007 11:16 PM
I went thru that last year (the big 50). They found one benign polyp. It looked like a little pink cucumber seed.
Weird thing is, one of my employees wasn’t feeling well recently. He went in for a battery of tests, and ended up having his entire colon removed.
AT AGE 22!!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk