Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Steven C. Noobie has another question! - Sun Jun 03 2012 12:07 AM
Today I ran into what I didn't know. I was in an antique store that had a couple, what I thought were reconditioned pumps. However, they had PLASTIC globes on them!! I see all these globes on line and although I now a lot are repro's I didn't think any of them were plastic. Also, it accured to me that although these pump bodies may be reconditioned originals, the rest of it may be repro. I mean there was not a pump plate but instead a sticker. So are there people out there making totally fake stuff? Not to be deceitful but just because there's a market for it?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Noobie has another question! - Sun Jun 03 2012 12:24 AM
Without a photo(s), it is next to impossible to converse about what the Antique Store is displaying....

Not all Oil Company's used pump plates... Some used transfers... Especially the "newer" the pump.... Say a late 50s-70s pump, most of the Oil Company's were using decals.... Some Oil Company's during the 30s through the 50s used decals instead of pump plates....

When you say "plastic" globes... Do you mean the globe body's were plastic with glass lenses? Or do you mean the entire globe was plastic? I am about as far from being an expert as anyone on globes.... I do know that there were original globes that used the following: metal body's, glass body's and plastic body's...

So atleast for me, without a photo... We aren't talking "apples to apples"...
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Noobie has another question! - Sun Jun 03 2012 12:35 AM
gas pump/gumball dispenser?
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Noobie has another question! - Sun Jun 03 2012 12:38 AM
Sorry no photo. I believe I saw two different types. I was kind of rushing a little, but I believe the one had a seperate plastic body with plastic lenses and the other was just all one piece of plastic.
Wow I am hooked on this stuff!! I just want to know everything. And I know that is impossible.
I need to go to a swap meet or something!! And I can't wait to get my garage finished so I can start dispaying what I've bought.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Noobie has another question! - Sun Jun 03 2012 01:07 AM
SC62,
I suggest that you get all the vendor catalogs, so you can see what MOST of the repop's that are available.
Also check Jack Sim web site & get one of his Pump Books;
http://petrolianacollectibles.com
Checkout Scott Benjamin's web site on Globes;
http://gasglobes.com
Subscribe to the magazines.
Spend some time & read old post [using the Google Search below is a bit easier than the search at top of page].

DON'T be afraid to ask questions.
BE WARY OF SIGNS ON EBAY FROM Argentina, India, Singapore & a few made on East Coast.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk