Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH ND sale was hot! - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:17 PM
Sale today was hot in both prices and temperature. They started off with tables of small stuff and the first table went over $7000 with about 4 items!! What a way to start! They messed with small stuff until 11 am and then started the internet portion of the sale and started with the cars. From there it went into the Mobil collection and the major large signs and pumps.
I was only able to buy a glass visible cylinder for a Wayne and this embossed Mobil sign that I think everyone was scared of. Another Old Gasser and I looked it over close and you can see paper marks on the sign and it had this little diamond shape around the letter "R" in the right hand corner. It measures 17 3/4 long by 13 3/4 wide and the back side is gray colored.
Anyone have any opinions? I looked in the repop books and couldn't find it?

Attached picture Keith Johnson sale 002.JPG
Attached picture Keith Johnson sale 003.JPG
Attached picture Keith Johnson sale 004.JPG
Posted By: Notchcad Re: ND sale was hot! - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:28 PM
Did you pick up that 37 for me?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: ND sale was hot! - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:32 PM
Sorry--I bought NO CARS! LOL
Posted By: Notchcad Re: ND sale was hot! - Fri Jun 29 2012 10:39 PM
Awwww... I was counting on loading that sucker up after Iowa!
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 12:26 AM
Yes Sir Kevin, I think you probably did all right on the sign if the competition was scared of it and didn't bid you up...it is the real mccoy from what I can see. 13 3/4 by 17 3/4 inches approx. I can't tell from your pic but the Gargoyle should be embossed, I can see all the other correct areas are embossed. The repros are missing some information and embossing if I remember correctly. Also the wrong size. That one is definately a bright white beauty, normally they are yellowed. Nice piece,
Darin
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 12:29 AM
Here's a repro for comparision....
Ebay item 180863683618
Darin
Posted By: Garage-A-GoGo Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 01:02 AM
Attention Auctioneers, flea market vendors, yard salers.... Don't put a sticker on the front of a potentially very valuable sign! Why do they do that???? It's really great when the sticker has been on there for a very long time. By the way... Kevin K I L L ER sign!!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 01:15 AM
That's a pet peeve of mine as well. It's even worse when they do it to paper items.
Posted By: advertologist Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 01:26 AM
you did well- description matches mine except the diamond R in the bottom right corner..I pictured the back of mine

Attached picture IMG_0380[1].JPG
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: ND sale was hot! - Sat Jun 30 2012 01:30 AM
Yes, this sign matches the color exactly! The embossing matches as well! Feels good to get it right for a change!
Got rid of the sticker too!
Posted By: moparjess Re: ND sale was hot! - Sun Jul 01 2012 04:31 PM
We were hoping to get that Kant-Nock globe, but unfortunately we were outbid. Have a Kant-Nock sign that would've gone good with!
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: ND sale was hot! - Sun Jul 01 2012 04:53 PM
I was bidding on that globe as well but they blew by me pretty fast. It had been repainted and several edge chips on the base. Body was good though.
Posted By: moparjess Re: ND sale was hot! - Sun Jul 01 2012 05:03 PM
Yeah I noticed that it took like 2.3 seconds flat for it to sell...lol
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk