Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: K W FRITH Glass Lenses--Capco body??? - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:21 AM
OK-- confused What am I doing wrong or is it just not possible? confused
I bought 2 glass bodied globes at IG and the lenses had some minor damage and I wanted to put them into Capco bodies and sell them at the local car sale in order to recoup a portion of the cost. I have some nice NOS lenses that I put into the glass bodies.
When I tried to fit the thicker lenses into the capco body, I was straining so hard, I feared i would break the lens! The glass is thicker but I was always under the impression that they could somehow be installed in the plastic body?? I've always heard that gill lenses can be installed in a capco body by removing the alignment tab, and they would be the thicker lenses, so what gives?? If it can be done, what kind of modification do I need to make?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Glass Lenses--Capco body??? - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:27 AM
Some lenses JUST WON'T fit in new Capco's OR some older ones either.
Remove the inner edge then use a Caulking tube of Silicone to glue into body. Home Depot sells it.

List just the Lenses in For Sale Forum, might make a New Member a Globe Collector!
Better than Fooling someone at a car swap.
Posted By: keithia Re: Glass Lenses--Capco body??? - Wed Aug 08 2012 02:24 PM
Yep some the the glass body lenses that are thicker just won't fit in a capco. Been there done that.

Keith
Posted By: T-way Re: Glass Lenses--Capco body??? - Thu Aug 09 2012 12:23 AM
Generally speaking - single strength glass lenses were intended for CAPCO bodies and double strength glass was intended for glass bodies.

That being said: all the 13.5" lenses I make are DS and I have no problem fitting them into CAPCO bodies. And I've built hundreds of these!

Try my installation process: http://www.t-waysgraphics.com/Capco%20Body%20Assembly%20Instructions.htm

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Glass Lenses--Capco body??? - Thu Aug 09 2012 12:31 AM
I'll bet KW SKIPPED #1 of instructions! LOL
As MOST of us do, we don't read instructions 1st. UNLESS we have leftover parts OR it don't work afterwards!

KW, send the Warden out for Another CASE!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk