Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Nucky Clam Shell globe - Thu Sep 27 2012 12:12 PM
Just a quick question related to those clam shell globe, how could I identify an original to a reproduction ? those clam shell are now reproduced exactly the same as original, the repros are from a mold from an original and done in glass, is there any marks or date on globe to make sure to buy original ones ?
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Clam Shell globe - Thu Sep 27 2012 05:13 PM
I know my original has MADE IN USA at the bottom on one side only...do the repros? I've never looked at one close enough to see if they have that. I think it would be kinda scary to purchase one without having it in hand!
Darin
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Clam Shell globe - Thu Sep 27 2012 11:31 PM
Not all originals have MADE IN USA around base..
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Clam Shell globe - Fri Sep 28 2012 12:05 AM
Do the repops have the letters embossed in to the shell?
Or are they just painted on? Could that be the difference?
Posted By: Nucky Re: Clam Shell globe - Fri Sep 28 2012 12:36 AM
there are both, painted and embossed sold as a reproduction, some are in plastic and some in glass, I wuld be interested to buy an original one but with the quantity of reproductions I prefer not to buy one

all those are reproductions :

for exemple : http://www.roadsiderelics.com.au/node/87
Posted By: fast66 Re: Clam Shell globe - Fri Sep 28 2012 07:06 AM
Nucky,
1st two are European (British IMO) and the 3rd is from the USA.

There are also DIESOSHELL and SHELLMEX made in the UK available for sale from www.glowballnostalgia.co.uk (if someone else wants to know).

br
Claes
Posted By: Dale Stephens Re: Clam Shell globe - Fri Sep 28 2012 02:24 PM
Nucky:
The USA repro Shell globe is made of a brighter white glass than the originals, or at least the ones I've seen are. It would be best to see the two together before making a purchase. You can really tell the difference this way. Hope this helps....Dale
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk