Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: shawnandrews Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Sun Nov 30 2003 06:39 PM
Sirs,

I recently bought an old basement that was a car garage at one time. I have done pretty well with identifying most items and there values however this one item has me stumped. It is a Standard Oil barrel from 1902 and 1913. It seems to be made of galvanized metal and is very heavy. I think that it is 50 gallon but I am unsure. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

You can view photos at: http://www.oak-hill.net/shawn/oil.html

Thanks,
Shawn Andrews
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Sun Nov 30 2003 08:04 PM
I have a similar barrel from Std. Indiana. Mine is welded, not riveted. I paid $1 for mine at an auction. If someone would have bid $2, I would not have bid $3.

They're too big and plain to display in a collection. They aren't rare either.

If you had one of the kerosene barrels that had a hood that covered a pump, and great lithographed graphics that would be a different story.
Bob
Posted By: blakestar101 Re: Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Mon Dec 01 2003 03:21 PM
I am glad someone brought this up! A couple of months ago I received a barrel with the hood, very old pump (brass) inside that the hood folds down to cover, it says Standard Oil Company on the front and I was told by the farner I received it from it was used to re-fill kerosene lamps on cars. Could this be one of the odd ones?
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Mon Dec 01 2003 06:58 PM
Blakestar,
Yours sounds like what I was talking about. They were also used to fill kerosene cans. They were used way back when general stores sold kerosene and gasoline.
From what I've seen the only ones that have much value still have the lithographed graphics in good condition. Many of these barrels with pumps were painted green or brown. With the graphics still in good condition they sell in the $300+ range. Price drops fast if the graphics are weak. These are my observations from what I've seen in the midwest over the past few years.
Bob
Posted By: LarryIvy Re: Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Mon Dec 01 2003 07:39 PM
A good idea Dwaine had on these barrels and the smaller ones are to cut the end panel out, paint and letter it and use it as a wall hanger. Sometime the barrel is very damaged but the end is pristine.
Larry
Posted By: rext@worldnet.att.net Re: Standard Oil Barrel 1902 1913 - Mon Dec 01 2003 08:39 PM
The barrel I have is riveted holds 54 gals embossed in the top is Standard Oil of Ohio its in very condition paid $5.00 at auction.Kinda like it.Rex

------------------
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk