Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: DarrenB Think I just bought a repop.... - Mon Oct 22 2012 10:54 PM
The guy had it listed as original 1950 Sinclair lower pump plate, never used this plate is not a reproduction. Now im definately no expert but when I took it out of the box it was my first thought, It just seems to be pretty thin and flimsy, any thoughts? I would post some pics but I dont see any options for uploading pics thanks.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Mon Oct 22 2012 10:59 PM
If you can post the auction number(If it was Ebay) then everybody could see it.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Mon Oct 22 2012 11:05 PM
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post129148
Posted By: Rudy Owens Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Mon Oct 22 2012 11:38 PM
Good news, if it is a repop, then you can't be charged with buying stolen property.
Posted By: DarrenB Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 12:15 AM
Heres the number 320997979351 thanks guys
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 12:27 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinclair-Vintage-Original-Lower-Pump-Door-Porcelain-Sign-/320997979351?
Posted By: DarrenB Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 12:47 AM
Thanks oldgas, i followed your sirections at cranno.com, went to upload them to my post and it said "files can be no larger than 150 kb bytes
Posted By: JimT Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 12:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Rudy Owens
Good news, if it is a repop, then you can't be charged with buying stolen property.
I'll bite.What does this mean?
Posted By: Rudy Owens Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 01:16 AM
Most of what is being collected here has some questionable ownership issues. Would it not be a real scare if some of these companies started legal action for the return of their property?
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 01:19 AM
Sorry, I don't understand what you are implying....

When you say "Most of what is being collected here has some questionable ownership issues." Are you talking about certain Collectors or everyone on the site?
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 01:28 AM
Bob. I think he is implying for instance "Flying A" may one day sue you and take back their signs lmao.

What he doesn't realize is the station owners bought these pieces and it was their property to do what they wanted to do with.

Repops on the other hand are technically copyright infringement.
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 01:39 AM
To note the original topic. Personally, the green looks too bright and the seller's feedback is terrible. I would say repop yes.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 01:52 AM
Hard to say for sure from the picture. What does the back look like? His feedback on eBay has a lot of Sinclair stuff, maybe he ran into a stash of NOS stuff. It still happens. The logo on the plate came out in 1959, not all signs were being made from as heavy metal and the porcelain shelving was getting thinner by that time. I do not know who is selling the stuff but it could be real stuff. On a side note, a very nice original Dino pump plate normally sells for around $100 - 125. You paid more but if it is real I would say hang it up on the wall and enjoy it
Posted By: DarrenB Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 02:16 AM
I didnt even think about the color,the back is as white as the front. What has raised my questioning is the thinness and flimsyness of the sign, it looks to be porcelen but I have a couple Texaco pump plates that arent this thin,Im pretty new at collecting so I didnt know if maybe the manufacturer of sinclair used a thinner gauge metel than texaco?
Posted By: hobbies4howie Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 02:30 AM
Does it have a date on the back of it? Most (not all) of the ones i have had say "SPS-61" on the back. And yes they do seem to be thinner signs compared to the Texaco pump plates. From what I could tell from the pictures of the Dino Sinclair globe lenses he currently has for sale and the ones he has already sold, I thought they looked legitimate.
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 02:52 AM
White is white. It's the green I'm looking at. Google the repops and then find some pictures of guaranteed originals.

Porcelain is still used today. Just because its porcelain doesn't mean it's old, just like its thickness doesn't guarantee age. . smile

Lots of the Good Gulf signs are some of the thinnest you'll see but I still have quite a few original.
Posted By: Here's Your Sign Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 04:00 AM

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=357132&nt=3&page=2

Similar thread
Posted By: DaveWilliams Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 10:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Here's Your Sign
To note the original topic. Personally, the green looks too bright and the seller's feedback is terrible. I would say repop yes.

Feedback looks fine to me other than 1 unhappy customer - in fact their feedback is very good & I would likely trust them.

Certainly appears to have found some nice Sinclair items somewhere, how about asking the seller for provenance??
Posted By: DarrenB Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 04:02 PM
Here are some pics

Attached picture sinclair pump plate 001.jpg
Attached picture sinclair pump plate 003.jpg
Attached picture sinclair pump plate 005.jpg
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 04:14 PM
archer2 sent these to me on my older post:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=52596&Number=331408#Post331408

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=50528&Number=318430#Post318430

Check them out. they may help.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 04:18 PM
on the other hand my Sinclair sign (real or fake, doesnt matter cause it was free) is just about the same thickness of my Mobilgas pump plates, not as thick but close. It is no-where as thin as the Texaco Sky Chief sign i just sold. Also my sign doesn't have a SPS-60 or SPS-61 on the back, but like DB said "did only one company make sinclair signs?"

Dan
Posted By: DarrenB Re: Think I just bought a repop.... - Tue Oct 23 2012 07:27 PM
Thanks for the input guys, after all the input and studying the pics im leaning towards real think im gonna hang it up and enjoy it.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk