Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: LOWright Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 02:00 AM
I was at the shop today working on some parts for an Oldgasser, when the auction house called and said i was the winning bidder on a Wayne 60 with a broken base. I locked up and drove to pick it up. On the way home, i was wondering where i was going to find a base that was in good shape. When i retuned to the shop, i removed the base which was in two pieces and had a 8" section missing. I decided to try and fix it, so i went to work and here is how it turned out.

Attached picture wayne 60 base broke.jpg
Attached picture wayne 60 base fixed.jpg
Attached picture wayne 60 gulf.jpg
Posted By: bwfergus Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 02:06 AM
Looks much better than when I saw it this morning!

Brandon
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 02:07 AM
Looks great.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 04:45 AM
That's awesome!
Posted By: azjockey Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 11:31 AM
Another one saved . Nice job .
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 12:18 PM
Good job! You da metal man!
Posted By: GasCan Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 03:09 PM
Nice work on saving the base. I'm impressed!
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 03:19 PM
You use the nickel rods? They sure are fun
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 03:24 PM
Hey Kyle,
I used Mig with mild steel wire. I weld cast everyday in the Ornamental Iron business and it holds very well. It's also quick, fixed the base in about an hour. I have used nickel rods on other cast before with good results. Owen
Posted By: Flatland Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 03:36 PM
I never have tried a mig on cast. Did you use flux core, or shielded? If shielded, which gas did you use? I have an almonst identical situation on a Wayne 60 base. Did you use mild steel to replace the missing section? I know this is a lot of questions, but your repair sure looks worth trying to repeat.
Thanks, Kody
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 03:52 PM
Kody,
I used 75/25 gas... CO2 and Argon and yes, i used 1/4" plate to make each part to match the cast. I also used a piece of solid bar and drill a hole through it to match. I ground the radius back on the top edge to blend.The reason i decided to fix it, was when i searched Wayne 60 base on Oldgas, it seems there are more looking then selling! LOL
Posted By: Leverhead Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Sun Nov 04 2012 11:29 PM
Looks great. Another question...before you mig'ed it, did you pre-heat the cast iron first?..if so, did you use a torch and how hot? Thanks.
Posted By: st.rod Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 12:06 AM
I'm really glad a respected metal man admits to using a mig on cast iron. I was told years ago to just grind a deep groove in a crack on a 60 base, then turn the heat up as high as it will go and crank up the wire feed. Fill it, grind it fill it as necessary until satisfied after grinding. Worked great and has everytime for me. Remember these are for "display" now, not structural integrity.

Great post Owen and great looking work!

Larry
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 12:50 AM
Steve,
Heating is not necessary. Like Larry said, plenty strong enough for display.
Posted By: Leverhead Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info. Nice job.
Posted By: 60 Parkwood Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 01:17 AM
Great Job! Gives me hope the five breaks in mine can be repaired also.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 01:23 AM
Great job Owen! I can see from the rest of the pump as to why you were interested in a pump with a broken base! Very attractive pump! That color scheme would be impossible to duplicate!
Posted By: KL Bird Re: Wayne 60 Base…Fix it or replace it? - Mon Nov 05 2012 02:07 AM
Looks good. I've mig welded cast both ways by heating to a dull cherry red with a torch and then mig, and also just turning up the heat and weld, so far has turned out fine.
Ken.
Posted By: LOWright Re: Wayne 60 Base�Fix it or replace it? - Sat Jan 14 2017 11:13 PM
Ron,
Here's the thread on fixing a cast base....
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Wayne 60 Base�Fix it or replace it? - Sun Jan 15 2017 01:28 AM
I'm not surprised, Owen another job well done. A true craftsman!
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Wayne 60 Base�Fix it or replace it? - Sun Jan 15 2017 02:40 PM
The base looks great. I once had one repaired at a welding shop, the guy said he put in an oven and heated it to 500 degrees before mig welding. I once had an Erie with two cracks in it's base. I used a cheap 120v flux core wire welder turned all the way up. I welded about one inch, and while the metal was still glowing bright orange, I wrapped it tightly in an old terry cloth towel until it cooled. I repeated the process until both cracks were filled. It took a while, but it worked fine.
Posted By: pickurt Re: Wayne 60 Base�Fix it or replace it? - Sun Jan 15 2017 03:11 PM
Perfect, looks great.

Posted By: keithia Re: Wayne 60 Base�Fix it or replace it? - Sun Jan 15 2017 09:42 PM
I just had a Wayne 60 base welded back together. It was in 4 pieces. Looks good but the welder was cussing it and cost me a pretty penny.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk