Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 56chiefstar My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 12:47 PM
While gas bashes are great for finding stuff I have bought my last table at any as there is no use when for the last two years everyone just looks and I just lug this stuff in and back out nobody buys anymore so I give up on selling, I guess they are just a social gathering anymore.
Posted By: porcelain-neon Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:10 PM
I believe you are right, people are just pricing themselves out of sales. When I can buy something on the 'bay for half or less than it is priced at a show, that's where I am going to shop.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:25 PM
I bought quite a few signs there, did not get bargains but they were great signs but when I sell one $20 item and I don't even make up the table then its time to quit. I try to diversify with Gas oil, beer cans, toys etc, all vintage but nothing sells anymore.I hate this economy, I use to do real good at these shows and ebay paypal fees are taking all my profit on internet sales
and the sales there are very bad lately. Ready to just give it up.
Posted By: dundign Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 02:03 PM
That is to bad there is not a venue that works out... I believe there is enough petro people to support a annual event...Tom
Posted By: pumpingethyl Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 02:15 PM
Buying and selling is always going to be a variable at any show, swapmeet, auction, event or website. You have to have the right item for the right buyer at the right price on the right day. People have a lot more opportunity to purchase items while sitting at home on the computer, so selling at shows IS going to be a little tougher, because people can shop around more while looking for things that interest them. I was selling two spots down from you at the same show yesterday. Although I did not sell everything I brought, I did better than I expected for a small show. Last year was a bigger turn out, but I sold far less. You just never know. I wouldn't give up selling at shows. I have learned I have to be more flexible with pricing because buyers have many more options as far as online buying. I still think shows are GREAT and really enjoy them. I would much rather buy at a show where I can see items in person and have it in my hands. Don't give up yet. Next show you just might sell out. If everyone quits selling at shows, there will be NO shows soon. Thanks for buying one of my signs yesterday and thanks for selling me the can. Hope to see you selling at the next show.
Posted By: signs i like Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 02:29 PM
I feel for sellers, things are harder and harder to find. You do notice at any of the advetising shows no matter gas, coke general advertising the prices are getting really high for items not in very good shape. I'm a collector and I'm one who looks in booths and walks away but if you can't find anyhting that catches your eye and that the price is fair for item, then you have to move on. It is a tough racket for both sellers and buyers. Really the day of the big bargin is over, look at how many people no matter where you live are out hunting. So knowing this, as a collector you have to be more selective in what you buy compared to years ago. Hang in there, sooner or later items sell.
Posted By: Ed Steagall Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 02:53 PM
wink "Todays' high prices are tomorrows' bargains."
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:12 PM
Well this is 2 years in a row with no sales (but $20 can) at any of the shows. I guess some of it is that I am holding on to most of my signs, they are just getting too hard to find but I do bring out alot of oil cans and non petro(had one real cool oil sign very old with lion and red white blue with stars and stripes porcelain, no interest. Variety of other stuff but nothing ever goes anymore for last two years. I will just be a buyer, there are great things to be found at these.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:19 PM
Maybe it was just the area, as both IG and Peotone were both very active selling shows. I absolutely loaded my truck to the point that I couldn't buy anything else if I wanted to, and prices were reasonable or negotiable! Good thing I was alone because there was absolutely no room for a passenger!
I'd much rather buy at a show than off the internet!
Posted By: eshaver Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:36 PM
Originally Posted By: 56chiefstar
While gas bashes are great for finding stuff I have bought my last table at any as there is no use when for the last two years everyone just looks and I just lug this stuff in and back out nobody buys anymore so I give up on selling, I guess they are just a social gathering anymore.

With one exception here , I'll buy in person WELL before I'll buy On- Line . Probably 80 % of my collection is from personal exchanges too! Ed Shaver
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 03:43 PM
If all sellers feel the same way, there will be nothing to buy when you get there.
Posted By: Old Iron Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 04:10 PM
I've never been to a bash;just too far from NM for me.With that in mind,my comment may be completely off base with respect to how things work at bashes,

However,since like Ed in that way over 80% of my collection came from personal exchanges,I'll point out an advantage to "face-to face"dealings with a collector/seller.You can discuss things and find out what else he has rhat might be for sale and more importantly for possible trade.

I mention it because I'm doing that right now with a local collector,talking possible trade of some of my good stuff for some of his good stuff when money alone won't get it done.

I don't know if that sort of thing goes on at the bashes,but I can personally assure you it does and it works at the local level.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 04:23 PM
Well DB, if all buyers don't show up like you there would be no buyers,just saying
Posted By: eshaver Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 05:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
If all sellers feel the same way, there will be nothing to buy when you get there.

Now why do ya say that Mizza Dick ? Ed Shaver
Posted By: keithia Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 05:35 PM
I agree with Kevin that Iowa Gas was VERY active last year. I heard that some vendors at IG left last year after the first day as they were sold out or nearly sold out. I went to Columbia for the first time last year and that appeared very good also.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 06:19 PM
There are many variables that effect sales. Quality of product has to match the needs of the buyers as well as price point. Has to be a good mix of novice and advanced collectors in attendance. Rarity and condition of items attracts advanced collectors; price point not as important. Novice collectors will buy common items and price point matters.

Generally speaking, difficult to gauge the enthusiasm and demand of collector attendance in determining what to bring to maximize sales.

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 06:44 PM
I'm ROTF,LMAO
Well DB, if all buyers don't show up like you there would be no buyers,just saying

I Don't BUY & SELL Petroliana for a living.

EXCEPT for 1 sign I BOUGHT FROM YOU, 20+ YEARS AGO, YOU haven't had anything I was interested in, @ ANY PRICE.

Get over it, you'll be a Happier Seller.
I'm STILL ROTF,LMAO!
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 07:59 PM
What in the world is ROTF LMAO?
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 08:05 PM
ROTF = rolling on the floor.
LMAO = laughing my a** off.
Posted By: dundign Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 08:22 PM
Craig .. Thanks for asking I did not know what it meant either .. Tom
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 08:39 PM
56chiefstar, have you got a picture of your setup at the show?

As a picker and not a collector I go to many many varieties of shows and bring cheap stuff and some good stuff. The cheap stuff pays for the event cost.

I bring out signs, pedal cars, toys, some cans. And will have items within those categories at all price-point levels (beginner/advanced collector).

I just got back Monday night from my 3rd show in 3 weeks. The first show was OK, but not great, but I bought and sold enough to make it worth the effort. The second show, I had a great setup Thursday, a sucky Friday, and a good Saturday. The third show I setup Tuesday, bought, sold/traded what I bought, Wed bought, sold dbl what I did Tues, Thurs tripled Wed, Friday 1/2 Thurs, and Saturday about same as Thurs. During that last show I only sold 2 major items >$300, with most items in the 40-70 range.

If you're taking the same stuff you always take to every show you do this might be part of the problem. I see this happen at shows all the time, the same guy brings the same stuff he always brings, with the same prices, and 90% of the attendees have seen it every year and aren't any more interested than the last time they saw it.

There are many selling techniques to try before you give up. Not the least of which is rearranging your "normal" setup if you always display things the same way. It promotes interest! Even at multi-day shows, rearranging from one day to the next may highlight something a buyer didn't see the day before.

Just some food for thought!
Posted By: blacktee Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
I'm ROTF,LMAO

I Don't BUY & SELL Petroliana for a living.

EXCEPT for 1 sign I BOUGHT FROM YOU, 20+ YEARS AGO, YOU haven't had anything I was interested in, @ ANY PRICE.

Get over it, you'll be a Happier Seller.
I'm STILL ROTF,LMAO!

Didn't we hear all about this last year ? RLMAO
Posted By: hawkike Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 10:26 PM
MEDS WORE OFF???!!!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 10:33 PM
Originally Posted By: hawkike
MEDS WORE OFF???!!!

ROTFLSHIPIMP!
Posted By: blacktee Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 10:42 PM

ROTFLSHIPIMP!

I give ?
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:01 PM
laughin so hard I @#$%ed my pants DA
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:09 PM
I am ignoring anything more he says and will not comment on them as this has been going on for years on this site with him
Posted By: powerlube Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:13 PM
Every show I go to I try to sell out before I leave. I don't care if I sell a $200 item for $150 just as long as I bought it for $149. When I set up I take a loss on some item, guess what I made a bad buy. Its about having fun to me. If I was to try to get every last dollar out of my items I risk loading it all back up. I also make some great friends out there. I think sellers in general need to relax and remember this is a hobby. If its your business then you can't sell if you don't show up.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:36 PM
I enjoy the shows and talking and finding the stuff which is what I will be doing from now on, leave the selling to my online sales only, no sense in bringing stuff, taking a chance of it getting broken for nothing.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:40 PM
I am lucky I was even able to make the show, had been in a big car wreck the day before. A 90 year old lady hit me what seemed full speed from rear and I could not avoid hitting person in front. Found out lady behind me was hit by someone too, 4 car wreck. Between the drive and that I was pretty tired, too tired to make the next days trip of 2 1/2 hr drive one way.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:59 PM
I'm anxious to start selling at shows where all the vendors are starting to dwindle and have that mindset of giving up. Thats when you can pull in with a trailer full of pumps and clean house, just ask Tom Buckles from Indiana. He showed up at Dayton--sold out. Dixie Gas--sold out. Usually by the time Spring rolls around everyone is ready to climb the walls and hit a show. When I was at Iowa Gas 2 years ago, there were pumps flying out of that place so fast I couldn't even get to the owner quick enough. Columbus is good enough in the summer, I've actually thought about starting up another Ohio show at a different time of the year just because people have to wait an entire year for the shows to come around again. Nothing can stop this hobby, its like a wheat field on fire and no water in sight.Your stuff will sell, just be patient. Good luck,Goober smile
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sun Dec 02 2012 12:27 AM
I haven't sold at a bash in years until I went to Fred's in Sept. I didn't sell everything but sold a bunch of stuff and had a great time. I think you need to price it right though, I did notice that people that still had all their stuff had auction prices on it.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sun Dec 02 2012 12:37 AM
I don't charge a high markup but I think a few signs I bought may have been high but they were so scarce or condition was so nice I paid top dollar which I try not to do but this stuff is getting harder to find.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sun Dec 02 2012 04:33 AM
If you did not sell anything then you need to change something. The problem could be that you are at the wrong show. Last year at Iowa Gas I pulled in with a trailer load of pumps and sold out within an hour. And no one tried to low ball my asking prices. Shows are a great place to meet other people that share the same interest and to sell things your ready to pass on. If you want something to sell it needs to be priced at what you would be willing to pay for it if you were on the other side of the table.

Just my one cent worth,
Rob
Posted By: azjockey Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Sun Dec 02 2012 01:24 PM
As a buyer and collector I truly love the shows. I have not bought a pump or descent sign without seeing it and putting my hands on it first. At Freds last year I was able to buy a few items although I was only their on Sat. morning. I have attended Bakersfeild in the past and purchased their. If I can only get away from work in time to attend saturday event, I Only have about 3 HOURS to veiw before vendors are packing up and leaving. Dont blame the venders that's the time set up. JMOP (stupid) Lucky i have freind in the area that likes to sell to me and makes it all worth my trip.
P.s. Is there a payment plan
Gene
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Mon Dec 03 2012 09:49 AM
Maybe I ought to try Iowa as its the biggest show but it would be a long drive from Calif. Was planning Brimfield Mass in May so can't do both in one year
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Mon Dec 03 2012 12:42 PM
Maybe I ought to try Iowa as its the biggest show but it would be a long drive from Calif.

Maybe you could hitch a ride with Dick.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Mon Dec 03 2012 12:50 PM
smirk grin
Posted By: Jarvis Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Mon Dec 03 2012 03:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Gas Pump Rob
If you did not sell anything then you need to change something. The problem could be that you are at the wrong show. Last year at Iowa Gas I pulled in with a trailer load of pumps and sold out within an hour. And no one tried to low ball my asking prices. Shows are a great place to meet other people that share the same interest and to sell things your ready to pass on. If you want something to sell it needs to be priced at what you would be willing to pay for it if you were on the other side of the table.

This is the rule to follow. Not saying to give stuff away but if you have a Texaco pump plate and hope to get $300 for it at a show because you seen one sell on ebay you might as well forget about getting that for it at a show. Keep in mind most and i mean most guys at the shows are also collectors and have a good idea of what something is worth. Your not going to get something super cheap but it's just another avenue to add items and get to hold them in your hands.
Guys who price stuff reasonable sell items. Guys who you see at the shows with the same stuff for 8 years straight are either setting up for fun or hoping for some millionaire to come threw. LOL

Last thing and the most important thing to add.... shows are about seeing and talking with gas friends as much as finding a item you need. If your only going to buy something so you can sell it for a profit then your going for the wrong reasons and the shows will not be fun for you. The hobby for me is adding something to my collection and talking with guys that i now call friends.
Posted By: minuteman Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 03:13 AM
Originally Posted By: powerlube
Every show I go to I try to sell out before I leave. I don't care if I sell a $200 item for $150 just as long as I bought it for $149. When I set up I take a loss on some item, guess what I made a bad buy. Its about having fun to me. If I was to try to get every last dollar out of my items I risk loading it all back up. I also make some great friends out there. I think sellers in general need to relax and remember this is a hobby. If its your business then you can't sell if you don't show up.

well said Scott....i try to never load back up what i brought and always have a few losses to the bottom line...BECAUSE..
YOU WILL NOT SELL IF YOU KEEP BRINGING THE SAME JUNK year after year....one thing i have seen year after year at shows...
the fellow with new fresh items to the market/show sells out, and alot with higher than ebay prices....mm
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 04:16 PM
Seems like a reply to get me to say something underwood but I am not going for that. I will let you ride,heard you were good friends of his
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 04:17 PM
Sorry, meant Underthun, got the name wrong
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 04:24 PM
You are right Jarvis, Ebay prices are higher then I would get. I have recently bought stuff on ebay and when I try to relist the items do not go near the price I paid no matter how often I relist it or change the wording or pictures, I believe there is a lot of ebayers who have their friends bid up items and have heard of this because some of this stuff on ebay doesnt go for near what I paid. Ebay says they don't allow this but obviously it goes on alot. And when you sell on ebay you have to include the ebay fees, paypal and now they charge fees on shipping which they use to not do. The shows are the best place for finding signs I believe.
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 04:24 PM
Seems like a reply to get me to say something underwood but I am not going for that. I will let you ride,heard you were good friends of his

I dont know what you are talking about, I was just trying to help out a fellow collector.
Posted By: 56chiefstar Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 05:20 PM
ok
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Tue Dec 04 2012 09:21 PM
There's the rub, logically speaking if you buy something from Ebay and then try to sell it on Ebay it shouldn't bring the price you paid. You have removed yourself, the high bidder, from the equation. There are exceptions of course, I've made some good money on Ebay doing the same thing but it's usually because the item was in the wrong catagory. If you want to make money you generally need to buy from the source. Ebay has made a lot of people lazy. I found some killer stuff this year by being there early, beating the brush and talking to people. It's work but it's fun too.
You are right Jarvis, Ebay prices are higher then I would get. I have recently bought stuff on ebay and when I try to relist the items do not go near the price I paid no matter how often I relist it or change the wording or pictures, I believe there is a lot of ebayers who have their friends bid up items and have heard of this because some of this stuff on ebay doesnt go for near what I paid. Ebay says they don't allow this but obviously it goes on alot. And when you sell on ebay you have to include the ebay fees, paypal and now they charge fees on shipping which they use to not do. The shows are the best place for finding signs I believe.
Posted By: dalin Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 05:11 AM

That makes about as much sense as buying a new car and then trying to sell it the next day for a profit. There might be a sleeper ebay deal from time to time,but not enough margin to turn a profit.
There is NO eBay conspiracy, "friends bidding up items"??? that can and does happen at any auction, sometimes I think instead of having a reserve price they may have a friend bid up the price, so regardless it won't sell for the lower price, because if they didn't use the friend route they would probably put a reserve limit on it.
p.s.
what Ryan said about riding with DB,was LOLLLLLL
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 01:29 PM
Originally Posted By: carolinaskies
The second show, I had a great setup Thursday, a sucky Friday, and a good Saturday. The third show I setup Tuesday, bought, sold/traded what I bought, Wed bought, sold dbl what I did Tues, Thurs tripled Wed, Friday 1/2 Thurs, and Saturday about same as Thurs.

Absoluely nothing against the person that posted this, but as a buyer this is part of why I don't do shows anymore. For most shows, if you're not there when the vendors set up the deals are usually gone lightening quick. For a lot of us that work during the week we simply cannot get to a show midweek, unless it's an Iowa Gas event and you've planned your vacation around it.

I go to one show a year and that is more to reconnect with friends than anything else. The shows are getting to be a tough venue. As a buyer I shake my head at the absolutely ridiculous prices and I also feel for the buyers when it is obvious the foot traffic is down. Most don't want to admit it, but a lot of the shows are dying.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 02:57 PM
IF it's a Wedding, Funeral, Graduation, Anniversary & YOU Want to go, you make Plans.
IF Iowa Gas WAS a Saturday/Sunday Show, would you be there for Both Days? Or just show for Saturday & drive home on Sunday?
I've said this over a 100 times here.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 08:54 PM
No offense taken Ohio Oil.

The thing is that the money guys (aka collectors) tend to show up as early in the event timeframe as they can and other resellers are out looking(as I was) to pick up bargains or reasonably priced pieces. It doesn't mean everything gets sold before Saturday.

Big money spenders usually own their own businesses and have the time to take off Thursday and/or Friday and make a point to be at a big car swap meet like Daytona and Moultrie because they know guys like me are there selling. They buy on those days because they've got weekend plans that don't involve walking among a throng of window shoppers.

As I said though, not every deal is sold early, there are plenty of those left for the Saturday. And this year most of the shows I've gone to have been very good sales wise. Whether the traffic is up or down, the guys who have money to spend have it available and typically are willing to spend it with the guys who are willing to wheel and deal like I do.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 09:30 PM
I agree, there are buyers and then there are window shoppers.

I always find something at every show...simply because I am always fearful of offending the "show gods" by returning home empty handed and jinking myself for life.

I always plan an extra day to follow up on local leads, or to check out local shops and classifieds.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 10:39 PM
Yep, I made the most of my Florida time with 2 trips to Rennigers Flea & Antique in Mt. Dora and a Monday morning at Webster FL market. These side trips netted several signs and a few toys.
Posted By: blacktee Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Wed Dec 05 2012 10:45 PM
That's great Paul.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Thu Dec 06 2012 12:43 AM
Yeah, as much as I hate being away from family for Thanksgiving I may have to go back next November.
Posted By: blacktee Re: My last selling at gas bashes - Thu Dec 06 2012 12:57 AM
That's great Paul.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk