Posted By: Old Racer Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:51 AM
Globe or not??
Anyone ever see one like this?

Posted By: advertologist Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:54 AM
never seen that model.. cool
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:55 AM
Hanging from a ceiling, not on a pump.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 02:55 AM
John, I was flipping through the channels earlier today and such a globe was shown on the top of set of pumps... It was only for a few seconds and I don't remember what movie it was....
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 09:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
John, I was flipping through the channels earlier today and such a globe was shown on the top of set of pumps... It was only for a few seconds and I don't remember what movie it was....

That's what I thought too Bob. I seem to remember a picture with a globe like this on a pump.
I will have to look at it closer when get it off.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 09:13 AM
Looks like a regular ceiling globe to me....
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 09:26 AM
Okay how about this one?
Petroliana or schoolhouse?
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 10:04 AM
Both are "school house" globes.
Dave
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 10:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Catauladave
Both are "school house" globes.
Dave

See Dave we should NEVER jump to conclusions.
The second one is actually a Wadhams Oil Co gas station island light globe.

Mr. Wadhams (Jim) will tell you the ones that were sold by Mathews a while back were VERY collectible. I have seen them sell for $1100 plus with a good original "W" on them.

So, maybe, just maybe, not "Hanging from a ceiling, not on a pump,." on the first one ??? ; )
Posted By: scottpcm Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 12:27 PM
The Wadhams globe with the "W", is an actual light post globe used at Wadhams stations so you guys are correct. Dick Bennett and others are correct on the others being light fixtures. Grade for you guys A for the day! Scott B.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 01:15 PM
Lets take it farther with Wadhams. Does anyone have the Wadhams globe that is in the shape of a tulip? They were used on what I call bay lights, about 7 foot tall and placed around the station to light up the area.
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 01:45 PM
I have three of the original Wadhams "tulip globes" with the "W" as John posted.... as well as two of the station light poles they were mounted on.

Jim
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 06:55 PM
Here is a picture of one globe pole I have in my living room. Someone sanded the "W" off (to use as a yard light I assume.) It still shows faintly on close examination. Also included a picture of the same pole in it's original location in Wild Rose WI. The station still stands.

Jim

Attached picture pole1.JPG
Attached picture WadhamsWildRose,WI2.jpg
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 07:06 PM
Your wife must be watching the meditation video that's playing on the TV....because I would imagine that's what it would take to get my wife chill enough to allow me to drag my gas oil collection into the living room. laugh

You're one lucky guy! Nice collection.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 11:21 PM
Thanks for the pic Jim, same pole and I have bottom access plate. Restored mine a few yrs ago in Phillips 66 black and orange with a repro globe on it. Nice globe and no one has repoped that one yet or???
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Sat Dec 08 2012 11:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
Here is a picture of one globe pole I have in my living room. Someone sanded the "W" off (to use as a yard light I assume.) It still shows faintly on close examination. Also included a picture of the same pole in it's original location in Wild Rose WI. The station still stands.

Jim

People drove past that station for years until a friend of mone bought the property for investment. I told him we should take the poles down before someone backed into them. He said okay and I bought them. Now they stand at Jim's house. wink
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Actual globe or not? - Sun Dec 09 2012 12:12 AM

Yep,every one drove past it! Old racer knows all the places !lol. This was in 05
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Actual globe or not? - Sun Dec 09 2012 12:16 AM
See Mick, IF YA Don't ask Ya Don't get!
I'd like to have seen ya Hauling that on your Hog!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Actual globe or not? - Sun Dec 09 2012 12:21 AM
Oh I tried !believe me!
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Actual globe or not? - Sun Dec 09 2012 02:26 PM
I have pics of the original station on main street of Crandon Wi after it had been resigned Mobil with owner standing in front, same building as Wild Rose. The light had been removed probably due to resigning. He took it home and used it as a patio light in his back yard. Thats where I first saw it and eventually bought it. Building was removed shortly after 1950 when he built a new station across street. I knew him and his family.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 10:57 AM
lol...You guys got me, but it was a "baited" question. If the identifying logo(W) had not been removed it would have been less "loaded", but I am none the less guilty of "jumping". Can you say that the globe was not used in general lighting applications without the logo? I would believe that the "general commercial" use or perhaps "municipal-industrial" market would be greater than a single gasoline company. Watch out or the repoers will find a warehouse full of NOS globes and start putting Ws on them....for 1000.00 each. lol Nice lesson. Never too late to go to school. PS Never seen ANY Wadhams gas stuff down here(Georgia). Dave
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 11:02 AM
Dave, glad you took it as it was intended. Having fun.
But you make a good point. Maybe the guys at Wadhams went to the area lamp company and said, "Hey we can use a bunch of those if you give us a good deal." wink
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 11:22 AM
Heck yeah...I don't get my feathers "ruffled" over something like that. I'm not an expert in anything ESPECIALLY petroliana. I just like the old stuff whether it is advertising, coin op, gas, etc. I'm "old school"... plain and simple. I have found thousands of items over the years and met some great old characters...most of whom have passed away. It is fun learning about the stuff.
If this globe was such a singular market item, one would have expected the W to be made into the glass rather than just fired on(like a Shell globe). Dave
ps..That gas station looks like a Chinese food "takeout".
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 11:43 AM
Heck yeah...I don't get my feathers "ruffled" over something like that. I'm not an expert in anything ESPECIALLY petroliana. I just like the old stuff whether it is advertising, coin op, gas, etc. I'm "old school"... plain and simple. I have found thousands of items over the years and met some great old characters...most of whom have passed away. It is fun learning about the stuff.
If this globe was such a singular market item, one would have expected the W to be made into the glass rather than just fired on(like a Shell globe). Dave

I could never figure out the Pagoda thing either. Maybe if the guy that owned it was named WONG? smile
Posted By: 1937 GMC Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave's Garage
Your wife must be watching the meditation video that's playing on the TV....because I would imagine that's what it would take to get my wife chill enough to allow me to drag my gas oil collection into the living room.

LOL laugh
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Old Racer

I could never figure out the Pagoda thing either. Maybe if the guy that owned it was named WONG? smile

I hunted a long time to find just one of these globes. I looked for similiar light globes and couldn't come up with a suitable globe. They are rather thin and fragile for their size.

The following is a explanation of these incredible stations...the one in Wild Rose is probably the smallest and simplist of those designed....they build some huge elaborate ones.

""Early gas stations were small, ugly or utilitarian buildings that attracted little notice, or even complaints from neighbors. Wadhams Company head Harger Dodge hired Milwaukee architect Alexander C. Eschweiler to design eye-catching stations. Inspired by Japanese culture, which was popular at the turn of the century, he created Wadham's signature pagoda. As well as a prime example of Japanism the design was one of the earlier examples of architecture forging a brand identity.

Each building was unique, having a different roofline and floor plan. The pagoda-style roofs were made of stamped-metal tiles. Atop the gabled red roofs many stations had cupolas - often multi-tiered - with lanterns hanging from the corners. The walls were black with yellow trim around the copious glass. They most often featured large plate glass windows on the front, and multi-pane windows covering the sides. Wadham's built over 100 of these distinctive pagodas between 1917 and 1930""

Jim
Posted By: Old Racer Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 02:53 PM
Thanks Jim. I knew there had to be a reason.
They stood out!
I knew the guys that owned the one in Cedarburg years ago.
They ran drag cars and would come into our speed Shop to buy parts. I know they didn't think of the historical value of the building back then. We were all too young.
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Actual globe or not? - Mon Dec 10 2012 03:27 PM
I think sometime in the 1940's "Japanism" became less popular!!! I am sure that had some bearing on the demise of most of these stations.

The historic significance of the stations was not realized until they were gone. I heard of one of the last stations that was torn down around 2000 because the owner wanted his lot cleared. It's still an empty lot.

Jim
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Actual globe or not? - Tue Dec 11 2012 05:39 AM
I think you are all missing the point. The original question was, is this a globe.

Scott stated, it was a light fixture, but actually wasn't anything placed above a bulb a light fixture?

Who knows what any given service station owner placed on his pumps? Were they globes as we see them, or were they all light fixtures?

Only God (and old photographs) know what anyone put on top a pump.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Actual globe or not? - Tue Dec 11 2012 01:10 PM
OK....
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Actual globe or not? - Wed Dec 12 2012 01:54 AM
Good info!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Actual globe or not? - Wed Dec 12 2012 02:16 AM
IF it were listed on ebay;
All original As Found in Grandpa's Barn.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk