Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Goober's Station Save the original tag! - Sun Jan 27 2013 09:38 PM
I was recently approached by 2 rednecks about a wayne 60 showcase pump they had for sale. I get over there and they did a terrible restoration on this poor pump (Chevrolet Super Service). It looked liked they painted it with spray cans, pits, runs, and dirt in the paint. I ask them where the tag was and they said "Oh, we threw that old thing away?" I don't know about any of you old gassers, but I feel way better when I can at least see pictures of it unrestored and a tag that's stamped 60-S? No way am I laying down $4500 bucks for a maybe. Conversions kits aren't very expensive. That original tag should be treated no different than the title to your antique classic car, without it, push it over a cliff. Any similar situations out there? Goober
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Save the original tag! - Sun Jan 27 2013 09:49 PM
Met a guy who was selling six ECO 97's for 1k ea.
All freshly painted,with dirt in the paint.
As I walked behind them,I noticed they were all missing their ID tags.
Asked what happened to them,and he said he took a screwdriver & pryed em off.
Said he tried sanding them down first,but the paint looked bad on the tag. frown
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Save the original tag! - Sun Jan 27 2013 11:52 PM
crazy crazy crazy
Education & knowledge is key!!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Save the original tag! - Tue Jan 29 2013 04:57 AM
Anyone that has owned an original 60-S will be able to tell the reproduction kits from at least 20 feet away. the Gas Pump Heaven kits are not even close to being accurate.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Save the original tag! - Tue Jan 29 2013 10:40 PM
Thanks Dave, the last two pumps I had that were showcase were Wayne 71 and 50. Maybe I'll go take a closer look at it one more time? They'll have to come back down to earth on the price. I would still have to strip the entire thing and start over, wouldn't be the first time. For now, I'll just watch for one at a show this year. Goob
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Save the original tag! - Tue Jan 29 2013 11:21 PM
...why pay them a premium for a $#@& paint job that they only did to try and increase the price?
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Save the original tag! - Tue Jan 29 2013 11:41 PM
I guess you're right, I'll save my money for the original 36B milk glass dome I just found still new in the box, trust me, now we're talking about premium prices smile This one is gonna be painful... Goob
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Save the original tag! - Wed Jan 30 2013 08:00 AM
Wow, that's a nice find!!! Make sure you post some photo's, of the top when you get it.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Save the original tag! - Wed Jan 30 2013 04:40 PM
I just want to clarify my earlier post about the Wayne 60 conversion kit. I have personally used the kits and they are excellent pieces, far better then anything that I could fabricate.

When, I state you can tell from 20 feet away that is because of the manner in which the conversion is executed. This is due to people not taking the time to replicate all the other details of an original W60-S. i.e. the pipe that houses the shaft for the computer drive.

Like any restoration project; time taken to research the original item will pay dividends in the quality of the finished product. It's not parts that make a good restoration but rather effort and attention to detail.

Reminds me, I have to place an order with Gas Pump Heaven for a few pumps I'm working on right now. Great parts, at even better prices and they ship out the same day. No hassle, no fuss.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk