Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 47reo-travis Tall bases used on ms 80 standard gas pumps - Mon Jan 28 2013 08:24 AM
I have always wondered why they made some of the ms 80 standard co. gas pumps with a tall base and what purpose they had in mind by raising pumps taller?
Posted By: eshaver Re: Tall bases used on ms 80 standard gas pumps - Mon Jan 28 2013 09:58 AM
Actually, you need to reverse yerself . Gasoline pumps for the most part were as tall as they were , ( six feet ) because the actual pump unit was within the cabinet . Now that changed when people like Red Seal were able to devise a way to make a submersible pump . That allowed pumps to become in the words of "Detroit " , lower, wider .

Martin and Swartz , then in Maryland was also responsible for actually doing some of the "Cut Down " pumps you saw from them in addition to their original M & S 80's . There were jobbers locally who also did these conversions on Tokiem 39's too. The Manufactured 39's made shorter were referred to as a Tokiem 39- L . Same went with Gilbarco who had just changed itself from being the Gilbert And Barker Pump company . Ed Shaver
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Tall bases used on ms 80 standard gas pumps - Mon Jan 28 2013 03:20 PM
That some neat and interesting information , and I never realized that, but I have seen the Tokheim 39,s in short and long versions as well like you said. Greatly appreciated . Thanks Ed.
Posted By: eshaver Re: Tall bases used on ms 80 standard gas pumps - Mon Jan 28 2013 05:51 PM
Glad ta help............... Ed Shaver
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk