Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: TheGriffin Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone have an idea on what these poles were used for? They are about 10ft tall. I thought they may be sign poles but cant figure out how a sign bracket would mount. The way they are tapered at the top it looks like something may have sat on it. Light poles maybe? They should be Gulf as they are at an old Gulf bulk plant and they looks as if once were painted blue. I dont want them to go for scrap if they are of value.

Thanks

Attached picture IMG-20121207-00239.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20121207-00240.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20121207-00241.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 06:11 PM
Don't appear to be stout enough for Signs, Island light poles IMO.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 06:15 PM
They look like island light poles and probably had an extended flourscent light fixture sticking out in opposing directions.
They look attractive enough to rescue and could be used with a harp light at the top!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 06:47 PM
I like them and I agree that they were used as island light posts.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 07:32 PM
I believe Kevin is exactly right, they look real familiar to what my father had at his station's island.
Posted By: TheGriffin Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 11:41 PM
Ok so the consensus is light poles. Thanks guys!
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Help ID this pole from a gulf station - Wed Jan 30 2013 11:53 PM
They are right it is a light pole. There is a old station a few miles from me that has one still up with lights on top.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk