Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bonjimmi Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 10:52 PM

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 10:55 PM
So far I found 3 6' SOCONY signs, 1 4' SOCONY sign, and 2 restroom signs.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:04 PM
NICE score...is this in your own backyard or some "secret" location ?
Posted By: Wayne Wood Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:06 PM
talk about finding a pot of gold in your back yard!
Woody
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:08 PM
NO B*S* THERE, you really did !
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:09 PM
WOW OH WOW! COOL FIND... YOU MUST TELL US MORE ABOUT THE FIND...LIKE THE LEAD INTO THE DIGGING PART!
THOSE LOOK LIKE THEY'VE BEEN BURIED A LONG TIME....CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW THEY CLEAN UP!

TALK ABOUT BOTW! LOL!

~DOC
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:11 PM
Keep digging, might find the Poles or the whole station !
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:18 PM
I will give you guys the details in a little while...I AM STILL DIGGEN
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:19 PM
~Very Cool!~ Break out the Metal Detector!
There might be small restroom shields around there somewhere???
Keep us posted...
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:27 PM
wow, that is trippin' . unearthly.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 04 2008 11:54 PM
Well I had to stop diggen, It got dark. Looks like there are 2 more 6' signs. That makes 5 6' signs so far. I was up by that shed spraying bee's before when I happen to look down and see a shiny blue color in the ground. I grabbed a shouvle and started to poke around. When I saw the two big signs going stright down, I desided to call my mom in Tenn. to see why my grand father might have barried them there. She said the only thing that was there was the old out house. My grand father didn't get plumming until the mid 40's, Then after that he used the old out house as a shed for the yard tools. I will do some more poking around tomarrow. I have to dig out that hole area where the signs go stright down. Who knows what I'll find in that hole. Has any one seen that type of rest rooms sign before. They are double sided and have a flange at the top and bottom of sign. In lower right corner it reads M.C.I. 4-51 ?

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 12:23 AM
He must have lined the pit with signs, to keep the walls from falling in.
Talk about someone digging in S..., & comes out smelling like a Rose !
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 01:04 AM
Thats about the best find a collector can dream of, all that searching and the treasures have been right under your feet the whole time, I think I would rent a backhoe and dig up the whole property.
I am still smiling for you.

------------------
Visit 15th Annual MASS GAS BASH
September 7th 2008
Posted By: Don Beaver Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 01:47 AM
How can you go to sleep now???? I would be calling in to work sick, setting up flood lights, renting [or stealing if they were closed] a back hoe and staying up all night long digging. By the time my wife got up in the morning we would never have to mow the yard again.
Posted By: nochevys Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 02:21 AM
Jim,
Great find! Ya gotta love your grandpa.
Posted By: dodogas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 05:13 AM
Cool inheritance.. Grandpa knew what he was doing, cuz they were only worth 5 bucks back then!!

Looks like you are over 5K already.

So are you living on this property & it has been in your family since Grandpa?.. cool story..
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 09:52 AM
You are now a "Honey Dipper"
There may be all kinds of old bottles and junk in the old hole
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 10:50 AM
HOW TRUE!
http://www.lioddities.com/forums/index.php?topic=7899.0

~DOC
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 11:28 AM
Well Doc, now we all know where you spend your "EXPLORING" days, Just think? one of your HOT models in a vintage outhouse bending over looking into the hole, Would that be a classic photo, OH! don't forget the cutoff jean shorts. Rick

------------------
September 7th 2008
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 12:07 PM
HA-HA! WHAT A CREATIVE IMAGINATION....NOT! YOU'LL NOTICE I DIDN'T PARTAKE IN THAT DISCUSSION. DOC DON'T DOO-DOO OUTHOUSES! LOL!

~DOC
Posted By: chrisbowers Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 12:13 PM
Would love to see how the clean up. Awesome find! You should get a metal detector and sweep around your property, who knows what grampa burried there!
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 12:57 PM
My grandfather bought the property and built the house around 31 or 32. My mom lived there her whole life. When mom & dad got married they put in a trailer on the lower part of property, thats where I lived until my grand father passed away in the early 80's, then we moved up into his house. I subdived the property in 94 and built my house where the trailer was. The rest of the property looks the same as when my grandfather lived there. My friend said he would lend me his metal detector to poke around the yard. I am going to dig in the spot where the signs are barried stright up & down. Who knows what my grand parents through down there. I also know that there are 2 more 6' signs ontop of the sespool. I remember digging it up with my father around 88 or 89 to get it pumped out, the signs were in very nice condition back then. I will keep ya updated on what I find.
Jim
Posted By: Jack R Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 01:17 PM
Nice find, but keep digging.
Posted By: DCpate Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 01:46 PM
Fascinating find...and even better story...

Post pics of what the signs look like cleaned up!!

Question: Where did oldtimers find 6 or 7 Socony signs at once?? I've always wondered if the signs were left out in the open for anyone to take once they switched signs...
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 02:25 PM
I think the ones I pulled out already will clean up nice. The spots you see in the pic is just dirt. The 6' sign only has one little chip in it and the top flange is gone. The 4' looks to be in nice shape to.
My grandfather drove a tanker truck for mobil from 29 to I think 66. Looks like he brought home a lot of signs from the different mobil stations on his run. If you remember a couple of years ago this is how I got my gargoyle mobiloil cabinets, they were in my grandfathers celler sence the 50's. He worked for mobil when they changed from SOCONY to SOCONY VACUUM in 1931 then to MOBIL in the 50's. I would think every time they changed names they would change signs. My grandfather was probbley doing them a fovor by taken the signs from the stations.

Jim

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-05-2008).]
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 04:53 PM
WOW! This really is a neat find. As a "poor" young Mobil collector I know it will be a few years down the road before I will add a large sign like these to my collection. But to find a pile of them in the back yard, unbelievable! I'm anxious to see how they look cleaned, as everyone else is. I'm sure the dumps are full of these old signs, and have wondered how they might come out after 50+ years of being buried. I'm sure this will give me a clue. Great find for sure! Congrats. Just a side ?, why did you rebury the ones that covered the sespool years ago? Did you not collect old gas then? Heck, even if I didn't collect gas items I probably would have sold them years ago if I knew they were there as I'm sure they had some value in the mid 80's.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 05:24 PM
Back when we had the sespool pumped out I was about 19 years old and did not collect mobil signs yet. And my father probley would not have let me take the lid off the sespool that was there for 50 years. I didn't start collecting until I found the gargoyle cabinets, then I started to look for other mobil stuff.
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 07:46 PM
incredible,
keep pics coming
Posted By: Chad Haas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 09:45 PM
If you dig long enough you just might find Jimmy Hoffa.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 09:50 PM
wow!!! great find.i wanna see pics of your yard in about a week!!LOL all dug up
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 10:25 PM
Update:

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 05 2008 10:28 PM
I am down about a foot. As you can see there is a lot of glass. Right now it looks like 2 of the 4 big signs are shot, the other 2 look good sofar.
Jim
Posted By: cmeon66 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 12:44 AM
I found two Shell signs on top of a septic tank and thought it was great, but it don't even compare to this. It is great that you took all the pictures to share. People who do not collect petro, can't believe what gasoline signs have been used for after there born on date, expired. You are also the envy of all your local bottle collectors. Thanks for sharing. Norm Huff.
Posted By: djhubba Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 01:09 AM
DIG IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator
Posted By: Petroholic Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 01:31 AM
This is one of the coolest things I've seen or heard about in along time.It's amazing how well that porclein holds up if it's not cracked or damaged.Can't wait to see whats next.Glad someone that can appreciate them found them,I already like your grampa.I would be tearing that ENTIRE yard and house apart.LOL.Good luck.
Joe
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 01:41 AM
This is Unbeleivable!!!! WOW!!!!!!! Nice find!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 02:21 AM
COOL.........
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 03:47 AM
Because the pits filled up, there might be an older one close by. KEEP DIGGING
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 10:46 AM
I guess the old saying is true....Gold is where you find it, even if it is covered in poo !
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 11:03 AM
i would never wash or clean these signs up,

you would be washing part of Grandpa away.....

------------------
http://www.roadrelics.com
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 11:58 AM
This is one of the coolest things I have seen in quite awhile.

So cool that I dug up my yard with a backhoe. All I found was dirt.

Seriously, great story, thanks for sharing it with everybody and showing so many pictures.

Ryan

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 11:59 AM
Cool story, cool pics. Gotta be one of the top oldgas stories of the year.
Please give us updated pics of the signs as you get them cleaned up.
Gives new meaning to the saying you picked those signs up "dirt cheap."
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 12:35 PM
Looks like my grandfather drank alot of beer in the 70's. If I dig down another foot or so I'll probably see what he was drinking in the 60's..LOL

Jim
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 01:03 PM
Someone had a good sense of humor with the Approved Clean Restroom sign. Awesome story.
Mike
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 08:37 PM
Did Grandma made him drink outside the house ?
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 08:43 PM
Update:

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 08:49 PM
I am down another 2' or so. Looks like signs have some bullet holes in them. Started to find some metal. That can is a sun oil can. I am starting to think this was my grandfathers personal dump.

Jim
Posted By: marxmobilgas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 09:00 PM
Jim
If I was there I would help you dig.
This is awesome.
Mark
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 09:45 PM
must be runnin on pure adrenalin by now!!too cool!
Posted By: sam8 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 09:51 PM
One of the coolest threads I hav ever seen on the net; neat stuff and family treasures representing your family history all rolled up in one.
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 10:16 PM
Looks like Grandpa was taking his iron pills ! LOL
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 10:19 PM
You are going to need a load of dirt to fill it back in after all that comes out.
There is no telling how many places I have dug over the years putting in plumbing and what do I find?...ROCKS !!!!! A freind of mine helped a buddy of his dig up a broken sewer line and found 4 Gulf Flanged signs.
A jobber in Butler GA had a freind give him a 1 pc That Good Gulf globe. His freind found it by stepping on it while he was out hunting deer.
But what I want to know is......
Where is the permit, silt fencing, hay bails, Enviromental Impact Study Documents,etc,etc,etc...LOL
Posted By: mMike Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 10:31 PM
STOP TALKING... KEEP DIGGING !!

I guess everybody would love to help you, so we can all see what's next.

Maybe the pumps are under the signs??

Great story.... please take pictures and keep us posted!

Mike
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 10:37 PM
Looks like a possible superfund site! http://www.epa.gov/superfund/
Better hurry and get it done before the feds find out about it! LOL
Nice find...great story. Get back out there and DIG!
chris
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 06 2008 11:30 PM
Jim said, "I am starting to think this was my grandpa's personal dunp"

Now that's funny.....I don't care who you are.

Actually...their are people who go get old maps from the city that often had house and outhouse locations on them.
They then contact the current owners and go dig them up. People have found whiskey bottles, cans, etc. Anthropologists have dug them up looking for tin cans, medicine bottles, etc to see how people ate and types of medicines the consumed. One guy found a box of dishes in an outhouse. Family story went tat the new wife boxed up the former wife's dishes and dumped them down.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 05-06-2008).]
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 12:36 AM
ALEX! HENCE THIS LINK I POSTED ON PAGE 2:
http://www.lioddities.com/forums/index.php?topic=7899.0

NOT MY THING OF COURSE DIGGING UNDER OLD OUTHOUSES, BUT TO SOME IT'S A HOBBY...KINDA LIKE METAL DETECTING!

~DOC
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 01:29 AM
Great story & find there Jim. Cant wait to see it all done
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 01:50 AM
Thanks, Doc. I missed your post on the way through.
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 05:04 PM
This is too cool. Looks to me that your grampa was one of the first oldgasers to start collecting. A pioneer of the hobby so to speak. Only problem is he didn't know how to display his collection very well. I wish you lived closer to me, I would bring my backhoe over there and we could dig up your whole yard.

Keep digging

Craig
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 08:06 PM
Update:

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 08:14 PM
I could only dig for a little while. My daughter has open house at her school so the wife and I and the kids are going there. I had to stop playing in the HOLE so I could come in a get cleaned up. Found some cool bottles today. I will line them and take a pic. when I get a chance. 2 of the signs still look good.

Jim
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 08:27 PM

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 09:06 PM
Those Bullet holes look to have been made by a 40MM Anti-Tank gun !
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 09:18 PM
My grandfather left me 2 of them. They shoot real nice....lol
Posted By: tjhvintage Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 07 2008 11:54 PM
Jim,Do you think Grampa maybe used a cutting torch to burn the holes for drainage?They look pretty evenly spaced. Great story! Keep Diggin'! Tim

------------------
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 08 2008 12:28 AM
Tim,
That is possible, I though they were shot gun holes.
you know when a slug hits a sign it dents it and knocks the porcilen off both sides. I thought the steal rotted away in the dent, leaving a bigger hole.
Posted By: thermactor Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 08 2008 01:33 AM
Do you think it's possible that there could be another pit (maybe without signs) nearby? From what I've been told, when one pit filled up they would move the outhouse. That's where the metal detector would come in handy, I guess.

Wes
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 08 2008 03:13 PM
On a Safety note: As this hole gets deeper please take precautions to avoid the walls collapsing. Not sure what type of soil you have but many people are injured each year from trenching accidents. I know the signs were put there to keep the walls from collapsing, but please take precautions as you go deeper.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 12:57 AM
OR WHAT ALEX ?

YOU'LL END UP IN DEEP S**t !

TIE OFF TO THE HORSE ?

LOL
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 01:04 AM
I'm sorry Tom,

I couldn't help myself there.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 01:56 AM
Did some more diggen today. Down another foot or so. Man I wish I had a little back hoe. Diggen this cr*p is realy starting to suck.

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 03:14 AM
Backhoe would make trash out of treasure If it's in there !
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 03:28 AM
Hi Doug. Yeah, I know, seems silly. But, once you get to about 4 ft it can get dangerous. Spoils piles need to be sloped etc. Kind of learned the hard way. Was hand digging a hole for a well pump when I was in high school and we were down 5 ft (no trench equipment or safety line) when a side wall caved in (had rained heavily the night before)and had most of the spoils pile on it and buried the other kid and me to our waist. Neither of us could move very well. Fortunately we could dig our selves out. We looked like two psychotic gophers digging. We told the guy we quit and he could get a backhoe. Backhoe operator 'chewed us out' nicely and showed us the dangers. One of those life lessons that I took to heart as a youngster.
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 07:48 AM
Tom

You are very right, I was just funning you.

Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 09 2008 10:31 AM
I repaired two sewer lines yesterday...all I found was rocks, roots and poo. !!!!!
Still hoping to find Grapa's gold!!!!!
Just milk bottles and rusted oil cans for me I guess.....WAH !!!! I wanna purdy red horsey!!!!!
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 10 2008 07:14 PM
Update:

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 10 2008 07:19 PM
I am down another foot or so. Hard diggen a lot of bottles. Alot of old wisky and wine bottles . A couple of old milk bottles. Oh ya and my signs!!!

Jim
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 10 2008 07:46 PM
sounds like grampa knew how to party!!!
Posted By: Goin'Mobil Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 10 2008 08:06 PM
What a great find! I have been watching the progress! It has been raining here in Central MN all day,and I got to thinkin' You could have a swimming pool after this is all done! LOL.Thanks for sharing the find!
Semper Fi
Posted By: rajanixnox Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 10 2008 08:08 PM
i wonder if your grandpa put those holes in the signs for drainage????....sorry if someone had already come up with that idea in the thread here
Posted By: cormy Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 01:08 AM
I see you cut the grass..

Working for a Health Department for 20 plus years in an area that is primarily septics, I have seen alot of large round signs covering cesspools, seepage pits and well pits.

I hope your washing your hands....
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 05:50 AM
Jim,

I have two questions for you...

1) What do your neighbors think about all this ?
2) Are you doing your own laundry these days ?

Doug
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 09:06 AM
Doug,

The neighbor too the left who has lived there many years is good friends with my parents, is into it. He keeps checking on my progress. And my brother owns the property too the right and he could care less.

Sence I am diggen so slowly and careful I realy dont get that dirty, just my boots that i keep outside in the shed.

Jim

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to all the moms.....

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-11-2008).]
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 04:25 PM
UPDATE: The Horse Is Flying

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 04:55 PM
OH, MAN! HOW COOL IS THAT!

~DOC
Posted By: BBQ Chicken Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 06:07 PM
dude .....
Posted By: BLange Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 06:20 PM
Did you get a confind space permit from the city? LOL

BL
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 06:32 PM
2nd horse is now flying:

Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 08:37 PM
Amazing! I'm blown away by your find!
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 11 2008 09:32 PM
ROGER HOUSTON, WE HAVE LIFT OFF

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 12 2008 11:22 PM
UPDATE:

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 12 2008 11:27 PM
I hosed off the signs today. I think with some polishing they will look great. The one on the right, I think the other side will be the better side. Will show the restroom signs when I get them cleaned up.

Jim
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 03:54 AM
That is too cool!!!
Mike
Posted By: nochevys Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 04:18 AM
That's a great story!I sure would like some of them Socony signs. When can I come pick 'um up?
How many did you end up with the 3 large ones & 1 small?
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 04:25 AM
wow what a luck box lol thats better than getting 4 aces in a poker game
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 04:19 PM
I also would like to have one of them Socony signs

pontiac_chieftan@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Easy G. Butler
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 08:31 PM
Now its time to dig up the cesspool....

Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 08:49 PM
Jim, This has really been a cool thread!
I catch myself checking your progress a couple times a day...Your a true gentleman for taking the time with pictures and posting your progress...
I hope you find alot more goodies!!!
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 09:17 PM
Thanks Tom,

It has been a long time sence I have dug up this cesspool. I think there are two 6' signs there in nice condition. The signs should dig up easy, the problem is after I take the signs off I have too form out and poor a new concrete lid for the cesspool. I will keep the pic's comming if you guys want to see my progress.

Jim
Posted By: nochevys Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 09:29 PM
keep posting i'm lovin it!
Posted By: petropumps Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 09:44 PM
This is pretty much the best thread I have ever seen...keep the pics coming!! This has become my daily soap opera!! Love the anticipation and the drama.
Posted By: Signal Oil Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 09:46 PM
HECK YES! KEEP THOSE PICTURES COMING!!!
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 09:51 PM
you bet we wanna see.this is a great example of how you just never know what you might find!!ps i think that cesspool is worth it!!

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 05-13-2008).]
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 10:56 PM
Holy **** ! It's like a petro archaeological site you have there! Way cool!!!
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 11:00 PM
Are you serious? "Cr@p" Filtered? Oh well!
Keep diggin'. I'm Loving it!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 13 2008 11:57 PM
Your Gramps was like the lady in Pasadena, Ca. that lined her garden with GILMORE NO SMOKING SIGNS. They were found a few years ago.
Posted By: phmlpn Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 02:38 PM
Dig it,man!
Posted By: chrisbowers Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 06:03 PM
Dig dig dig! I got excited that the old abandoned septic system at my place (built 1916) might be covered up with something cool, but alas it's just a rusty piece of sheet metal. No porcelain sign with pretty colors
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 08:15 PM
The Pheonix bird arose from the ashes....
What do you call a Pegesus reborn from King BUTT'S Tomb ?......Manna from heaven?

So what do you guys estimate the value of
KING BUTT'S treasure?
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 09:08 PM
WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am really pumped up now.. Looks like there are 3 signs on the cesspool.....So far the first one off looks pretty good.

Jim

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 09:29 PM
It looks like so far 6 six foot signs, 1 four foot sign and 2 restroom signs. my mom told me of two more spots to look for signs.. If you add up all the signs from my grandfather, it would include all of the above, 1 more realy nice 6 foot sign, 2 more 4 foot signs, a 3' by 4' SOCONY is STANARD sign, 2 Gargoyle mobiloil cabinets with 4 origenal signs, A stack of mobilheat cardboard signs, 3 drive saftly plate toppers, 1 Raybestos Brake flange sign, and his 10,15,and 25 years of service gold pins. At the end of this thread I will post pictures of all the treasures that my grandfather left behind for me to FIND...........

Jim
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 10:51 PM
Jim,
Look for a cistern [in ground tank next to house to collect rain water from roof].
Might also ask the neighbors if Gramps gave them signs for their pits.
db
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 14 2008 11:01 PM
db,
the cistern signs were the first two 4' SOCONY signs I found. The sistern was above ground,

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-14-2008).]

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-14-2008).]
Posted By: Pegasus Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 15 2008 03:16 AM
Thanks Jim for sharing this GREAT story!! Just proves that Grandpa's are cool people too!!

Richard
Posted By: avio Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 15 2008 03:55 AM
This is exactly how this Ace High sign was found!!
[img=http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9665/acehighag5.th.jpg]
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 15 2008 10:17 PM
The sign that was on top is in good condition, the two that were under it are a little ruff. I got the cesspool all covered up and formed out. I will put the rebar in it tomarrow and poor the concrete on saterday. Then I can go back to looking for more signs.

Jim

Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu May 15 2008 11:38 PM
WOW..............

I have to follow up on a sign that a lady told me her father covered their septic with years ago.

Said it was a Mobil Shield.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 01:06 AM
He may have gotten it from my grandfather, Looks like he had enough to go around...lol

Jim
Posted By: j a s o n Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 04:52 AM
Thanks, Jim! Now you have to clean the things up, which may be less fun.... Isn't it a weird coincidence that your grandfather buried something in the yard that turns out to be of such interest to you?
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 03:55 PM
You can call it a weird concidence, but I have a little different take on it.
The last 5 months have been real hard on me and my family. My 4 year old daughter was diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. It's been real upsetting giving my little daughter shots every time she eats something and pricking her finger 5 to 6 times a day. Then you have to make shure the math is right so that you don't over or under doss her. Talk about stress...
Me, I think this was a way for my father and grandfather (who have passed on) to put a smile back on my face for a little while, to get me excited about something again. I am glad that posting this got some of you excited about finding some old signs in my backyard.
Ya, you can call it a weird concidence...
Me, I think it was fate.......

Jim

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-16-2008).]
Posted By: Blastmaster Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 06:09 PM
Jim:
Great thread. I have loved the pictures and the treasures you have dug up and can only imgaing the time involved digging, back filling and cleaning the signs up.

Forgive me I am not trying to hijack your thread. I usually only lurk & seldom post but your last comment sparked a nerve.

Regarding your daughter's Diabetes: Please send me an email or PM with your email address and phone #. I have a son now 16 that has been diabetic since age 11. Been there, done that on the shots, testing etc.. I have vast experience,knowledge,contacts etc.. through JDRF and a local website you would gain great knowledge from that might reduce some family stress. My sister and son both have insulin pumps from different companies and are beta testers for onboard glucose monitoring equipment. You need as much information as possible to navigate through health insurance plans,coverages specialist referals, 504 school disability accomodations she is entitled to. There are many obstacles navigating school responsibilities regarding emergency care etc....

May god bless you & your family further, you have our best wishes.

Rick
Posted By: bppierce Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 06:17 PM
Fate indeed.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 07:17 PM
Thanks Rick, I will Email when I get a chance.

Lea wanted to say hello to everyone..

Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 07:23 PM
jim it looks like you have found more than one pot of gold!!congrats and best for your daughter. ps maria melted all over the floor when i showed her the pic of lea!!

[This message has been edited by oldnfuelish (edited 05-16-2008).]
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 16 2008 09:51 PM
I read the story and then saw the picture. Ok, I will admit it. I teared up. Good luck to you all.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 17 2008 12:06 AM
Wow, that really struck a nerve, I too felt pretty teary eyed. What a beautiful little girl, And it makes me feel so much happier that it is you that was fortunate to come across this great find, I wish the best for you and your family, Rick

------------------
September 7th 2008
Posted By: st.rod Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 17 2008 12:21 AM
Wow!

That is an angel, sent to help you my friend

Larry

[This message has been edited by st.rod (edited 05-16-2008).]
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 17 2008 02:42 AM
Yeah I agree larry she's an Angel, You can never under estimate the power of prayer. This is one great thread. THANKS
Posted By: Jack R Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 17 2008 04:17 AM
It is a great thread please keep it going as you find more stuff and your daughter is a beautiful little angel and prayer does help. Jack
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 17 2008 10:08 AM
YES, THIS IS ONE FANTASTIC THREAD!

THE FIND, THE PROGRESS AND STORIES, THE FAMILY AND THAT ADORABLE LITTLE ANGEL OF A DAUGHTER. I MUST ADMIT MY EYES FLOODED BEYOND CONTROL AS WELL. I AM HOPING THAT I CAN HELP THE CAUSE VERY SOON WHEN I COME UP TO SEE YOU SOON!

ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND LEA!
TALK TO YOU SOON!

~DOC
Posted By: Hemibird Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 18 2008 11:14 AM
Jim,
My wife and I can totally relate to you and your family. We have have a handicapped daughter 2 years of age. She brings us tremendous joy but their are days when we are both ready to break down and cry. This hobby has has helped me keep my sanity through the toughest of times. I have to agree with your earlier comment that fate brought this find to you. Just goes to prove that Grandpa is looking out for you!

------------------
Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Habor, Indian, Powerlube, Beacon, Sinclar Aircraft
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 18 2008 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the kind wards, you guys are great.....

Just finished putting the new cesspool lid on. Now I can get back to looking for more signs. There has to be more out there.

Jim

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-18-2008).]
Posted By: blacktee Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 19 2008 02:06 AM
May God bless you and yours Jim.

Thanks for a great ride !

The Doneths
Posted By: texaspelican Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 19 2008 03:35 AM
I have enjoyed this thread...I felt like I was in there digging with you.
There is too much sorrow in this world...you gotta grab lifes pleasures where and whenever they may be. Great kid.
What are you waiting for? Start digging!!! there's gotta be more!!!
Posted By: bruzer75 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 19 2008 08:25 PM
Thank you for sharing. Your pictures are awesome and your little girl is adorable!!!
Mike
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 21 2008 08:03 PM
Cleaned up the REST ROOM signs. Thought you might want to check them out.

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 25 2008 03:13 PM
THANKS JIMMI FOR MAKING THIS AWESOME SHIELD AVAILABLE TO THIS DIEHARD "LARGE" SIGN BUYER!

ALREADY WORKING ON FIXING THE RUSTY UPPER EDGE
AND BOTH SIDES OF THE SIGN CLEANED UP PRETTY DARN NICE!

THANKS FOR SHOWING TED AND I YOUR STERILE SHOP, YOUR COOL CHOP AND THOSE NICHOL COLA SIGNS. MY BEST TO YOU AND YOUR LITTLE HELPER LEA WHO IS THE CUTEST LITTLE ANGEL. GOD BLESS HER! I KNOW HE WILL!

~DOC
THE AMERICAN GARAGE!

[This message has been edited by THE AMERICAN GARAGE (edited 05-25-2008).]
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 25 2008 04:26 PM
Hey Doc

How are you going to fix the edge. I've thought of a few ways but have not come up with a good way for a sign I have. Thanks Craig
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun May 25 2008 04:55 PM
Bolts or hot riveting angle iron strip would do the least amount of added damage to sign.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 02:00 PM
O.........MY.........GOD..........

I think I found another HOT SPOT.
My mom told me to look under the front porch for more signs.
WELL I just started to pull some old wood out when I saw these two NOS rest room signs.
Wish me luck. I am going back in........

Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 03:45 PM
Was there ever a well on the property?
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 03:57 PM
Its starting to look good. i just found two wooden signs. Just came in to get my camera. Will take some pic's and post them ASAP.

Jim
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 04:07 PM

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 05:13 PM
I cleaned up the signs I found so far.

Posted By: CollectorDave Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 11:33 PM
This just keeps getting better and better.
Posted By: gasoildude Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Mon May 26 2008 11:48 PM
Man you said it in a nut shell there Dave
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 27 2008 12:21 AM
are you taking offers on your house
Posted By: Alex Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 27 2008 08:01 PM
This has been fun to watch.

Have you checked the attic? Also, ask your mom if she ever remembers it being reroofed. It was not unusual to use signs on a roof.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 27 2008 08:25 PM
Alex,
In the attic I found a stack of carboard mobilheat signs that my grandfather layed down on the floor boards to help insulate the house.
Jim

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 05-27-2008).]
Posted By: oilmanpat Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 27 2008 08:36 PM
I know this sounds silly but, people in my area used to put cardboard or newspapers down on the floor before laying new coverings.Also some have found cans in the walls that were put there to help stop drafts. The latter was discovered when the house was being torn down so I don't recomend going that far. Just a thought. Ask your Mom.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Tue May 27 2008 11:40 PM
Under statement of the year; on 5/24 you stated "Its starting to look good." ! LOL
What have you found that has Not been posted ?
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 12:02 AM
It may not hurt to crawl under the house and look up at the subfloors, Grandpa might have used a sign or two to repair a spot or two.
Was there ever a well? I have found several signs covering wells outside and under houses.
If I ever go under old rental property I always look on the tops of the foundations, between floor joists. I have found oil cans, ink bottles,grease cans, handy oilers, spiders, snake skins, mice, etc. etc. etc.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 12:34 AM
db,
Over the last 2 years, every since I found the cabinets, the only items that I have not showed a pic of is the 3 "drive safely" plate topers and his years of service pins. Oh ya I also found a bunch of mobilheat sterno burners and a little mobilheat thermometer. I could take some pic's and post them if you guys want to see them.

Joe,
After I found the cabinets, I looked over every inch of the celler and attic. I know what you mean about where the floor joist meets the foundation. Found alot of old cool stuff in there. I found 2 four foot shields covering the sistern and the well my father and I dug up to replace the pump A while back, there was nothing there.

Jim
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 12:48 AM
I am only about 1/2 way through the debre under the front porch. I hope to get back under there one night after work this week. What do ya guys think about the wooden signs. I realy like the SOCONY ETHEL sign with the car taken off. The bigger one is in realy rough shape. I can't belive a wooden sign has held up all these years.

Jim
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 01:12 AM
I would think the wooden signs would be the actual prize of the whole thing. Although maybe not as collectable, they are a heck of a lot more rare than anything you have found yet.
That is the kind of stuff that was not mass produced. They may have been done by a local sign painter or artist?
One looks like part of a fence.
With all the stuff grandpa brought home, you can tell he lived through the depression.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 03:00 AM
More than likely the wood signs were made during WW2 because of the metal shortage.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed May 28 2008 10:33 AM
UNFORT WE THOUGHT TO TAKE A PICTURE AFTER WE THREW THE SIGN ON THE BED OF THE TRUCK AND TIED IT DOWN. SO I PHOTOSHOPPED A PIC OF THE SIGN I BOUGHT FROM JIMMI OVER THE OTHER SIGNS HE FOUND. THE REASON OUR ARMS ARE EXTENDED OUTWARD WAS BECAUSE WE WERE RESTING THEM ON A SMALLER 4' SOCONY SIGN IN THE ORIGINAL PIC!

THANKS AGAIN, JIMMI!

~DOC
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat May 31 2008 11:44 PM
Well Guys, It has been a fun ride. Did not find any more signs under the front porch. I still think there are more on the property some where, Just need to find them. I am glad so many of you have enjoyed this adventure with me. Thanks for all the post and all the emails.
Doc, I am glad you like the sign, display it proudly. It was great to meet you and your bro.
I know I will find another hot spot, probley when I am down and need to get a smile back on my face. When I do ,I will be shure to share it all with you guys.

Jim
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Jun 01 2008 12:40 AM
I thought I should add this. Here is a pic of my grandfather and his 36 years of service award.

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 06-01-2008).]

[This message has been edited by bonjimmi (edited 06-01-2008).]
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Jun 01 2008 01:12 AM
Three cheers for grandpa !!!!!
Posted By: CollectorDave Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Jun 01 2008 04:25 AM
That is cool Jim.
Thanks for sharing.
Dave
Posted By: lordparaffin Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Jun 01 2008 02:35 PM
I've been keeping quiet these days but I've got to tell you that watching all this has been one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed. Congratulations on your "pot of gold" find and I love the family connections. Thanks for reaffirming my belief that good things come to those are willing to look for it.........Dave
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Jun 04 2008 01:24 AM
WHILE THIS MAY NOT BE THE WAY MOST OF YOU MIGHT GO WITH A FIX ON THE VERY RUSTY TOP EDGE OF THIS SIGN...HERE IS WHAT I DECIDED TO DO EVEN IF IT WERE TEMPORARY.

WHILE LOOKING FOR 2 6' LONG FLAT IRON OR STEEL STRIPS TO PLACE ON BOTH SIDE OF THE TOP EDGE AND COULDN'T FIND ANY IN LOWE'S. I WALKED OVER TO THEIR TRIM AND MOULDING DEPT AND DECIDED TO USE TWO 7' LONG STOCK PIECES OF OAK TRIM...JUST TO SEE WHERE IT WOULD GET ME. THEN OVER TO HARDWARE FOR SOME BOLTS, NUTS AND WASHERS.

THIS EVENING HERE IS WHAT I DID:

1. I CLAMPED THE TRIM TOGETHER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RUSTED TOP EDGE THAT WAS CLEANED WITH A GRINDING WHEEL MAKING IT ALL PRETTY FLUSH. I HAD MADE A PRE-DETERMINED LOCATION FOR THE TRIM AND CUT AWAY ABOUT 3/8" OF THE ORIGINAL EDGE.

2. CLOSE-UP OF THE END EDGE.

3. PRIOR TO ACTUALLY PLACING THE TRIM ONTO THE SIGN, I DETERMINED WHERE THE HOLES SHOULD BE DRILLED THRU THE METAL AT THE MOST BEEFIEST SECTIONS. I MARKED THE SIGN BELOW THE TRIM WHERE THESE HOLES SHOULD BE DRILLED. BECAUSE OF THE RANDOM RUSTY EDGE THE HOLES WERE NOT EVENLY SPACED BUT STILL LOOK PRETTY EVEN:

CON'T......
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Jun 04 2008 01:26 AM
.....MORE:

4. I DRILLED 8 HOLES THRU THE TRIM, METAL AND OPPOSITE SIDE TRIM. TURNS OUT MY 1/4" X 1" LONG BOLTS WEREN'T LONG ENOUGH TO ACCOMODATE THE WIDTH OF THE WOOD/SIGN SANDWICH ALONG WITH TWO WASHERS. SO I HAD TO COUNTERSINK ONE SIDE. IT WAS JUST ENOUGH TO GET THE NUT DOWN SNUG ENOUGH AND FLUSH WITH THE BOLT.

5. I CUT OFF THE EXCESS TRIM AND GROUND IT TO THE ORIGINAL TOP EDGE OF THE SIGN.

6. I WAS THINKING ABOUT FILLING IN THE GAP (SHOWN IN PIC 4) WITH A PAINTABLE CHAULK OR SILICONE. THE OAK WOULD BE PRIMED AND EVENTUALLY PAINTED A MATCHING COBALT BLUE TO MATCH THE ORIGINAL EDGE BORDER.

7. FOR HANGING PURPOSES I COULD RIG A LOOP OR HOOK AT EACH END OF THE TOPSIDE EDGE IF NEED BE.

THANKS!

~DOC
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Jun 04 2008 11:46 AM
WOW Doc, That realy looks good. You have to show us a pic of it all done with the paint and hanging up.

Jim
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Jun 04 2008 06:20 PM
HERE IS THE SIDE OF THE NUT/BOLT THAT I HAD TO COUNTERSINK AS OPPOSED TO GOING BACK TO LOWE'S FOR LONGER BOLTS. MY IDEA WORKED OUT PRETTY GOOD.

I THEN FILLED THE SPACE BETWEEN THE TWO OAK TRIM BOARDS WITH A PAINTABLE CHAULK.

HERE, YOU CAN SEE JUST HOW MUCH THE BOLT AND NUT IS EXPOSED.

~DOC
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu Jun 05 2008 09:11 PM
Thought you guys would like to check this out.
It is a Mobilheat Fuelometer.I found it in my grangfathers cellar.

Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Jun 07 2008 06:08 PM
NOW WITH A BIT OF MASKING TAPE PLACED ALONG THE EDGE OF THE OAK TRIM AND ON THE SIGN TOP, I PAINTED IT FIRST WITH A WHITE PRIMER:

THEN FOLLOWED BY TWO COATS OF RONAN PHTHALO BLUE. IT WENT ON TOO THIN AND BLUE THE FIRST COAT, BUT COLOR CORRECTED ITSELF ON THE 2ND COAT TO A MORE PURPLE-ISH BLUE AND MATCHES THE THE BORDER OF THE ORIGINAL SIGN VERY CLOSELY.

THE BALANCE OF TOUCH UP IS ON THE SIGN ITSELF, MOSTLY IN THE TOP CORNERS AND IN THE FIELD. BUT THIS IS ALL FOR NOW.

~DOC
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Jun 07 2008 07:11 PM
CERTAINLY ALOT BETTER LOOKING WITH A FINISHED LOOK THAN THIS....A TETANUS SHOT WAITING TO HAPPEN!

~DOC
Posted By: Jack R Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Jun 07 2008 08:40 PM
Nice Job Doc. looks Good
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Feb 05 2011 04:05 AM
With the recent post of signs on C.L. of MOBILGAS signs, thought some of the NEW members would enjoy reading about this FIND.
Posted By: tyler Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Feb 05 2011 06:58 AM
man o man is that awsome, that must have been where the rainbow ended
Posted By: 1970mach Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Feb 05 2011 12:52 PM
Thanks for getting this post back to the surface DB. I joined the site shortly after this thread ended, It was a great morning for reading all the posts and enjoyed reading about the thrill of this hunt!
Posted By: Lucky's Lonestar Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Feb 05 2011 10:35 PM
Wow, I'm speechless, you even got my heart racing!
Posted By: cormy Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Feb 06 2011 04:05 AM
I see your DIGGING this old post up again.... wink
Posted By: Nicole Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Feb 06 2011 04:24 AM
Doc,

Have you ever tried cobalt blue? I ask because the phthalos in general are very strong pigments (i.e. hard to clean, and hard to cover) and are transparant compared to the cobalt (semi-transparent). That explains the two coats, but it might look 'brighter' with the base showing through after two coats (your eyes will not see the white). However it may be that intensity that works best and/or might original for that brand sign.
Posted By: Mike618b Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Feb 06 2011 01:42 PM
I like the way you fixed that sign. Making lemonade outta lemons.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sun Feb 06 2011 01:55 PM
NICOLE, YES I DEF HAD TROUBLE WITH THE PHTHALO BLUE AND IT'S TRANSPARENCY QUALITY. I SHOULD HAVE MIXED SOME COBALT BLUE
IN WITH IT. STILL WOULD HAVE DONE 2 COATS THOUGH. LOL! wink
Posted By: AntiquePerfectio Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu Jun 02 2011 03:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
With the recent post of signs on C.L. of MOBILGAS signs, thought some of the NEW members would enjoy reading about this FIND.

Thanks DB for bumping this up a couple of months ago, otherwise I doubt I would have gone back to 2008 scanning the discussions - I was just clicking though the past couple of months killing some time before a meeting and came across this post - talk about killing some time - 1 1/2 later after reading 12 pages of posts! Awesome story, pictures and comments. Loved it!

Aaron ~~
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Thu Jun 02 2011 10:03 PM
this has gota be one of the alltime coolest posts ever. wonder how bonjimmi is doin these days!
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Jun 03 2011 03:21 AM
Thanks Dick for bringing this post back!
I do not think I ever read the entire post until tonite.
What a cool story. Puts the American pickers in the back seat!!!!
Rob
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Jun 03 2011 03:48 AM
What, the American Nose Pickers are still around? I heard they were Canceled!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Jun 03 2011 06:15 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
What, the American Nose Pickers are still around? I heard they were Canceled!

...no way...yer kiddin'...REALLY?... laugh
Posted By: Petroholic Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Jun 03 2011 09:00 PM
I remember reading this everyday waiting to see how it was going to turn out,awesome story.
joe
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 06:00 PM
Hey everyone. stopped by old gas to see what was new. I haven't been here for a long time. I have a guy coming by this weekend to buy all the signs that I found in this post... well most of them anyway. Dont think i would ever part with my wooden SOCONY sign. It was fun going back to this post and remembering the excitement I had with my find.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 07:10 PM
Oh wow this just blows my mind! What a great story.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:19 PM
That sure was a great story , and you know there is a lot more out there across this country to be found yet , and the step by step pictures were great!
Posted By: rustynuts Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 08:36 PM
Originally Posted By: bonjimmi
Dont think i would ever part with my wooden SOCONY sign. It was fun going back to this post and remembering the excitement I had with my find.

I know how that feels. Thanks for taking the time to post your finds! I don't know how I missed this thread. Awesome dig!!!
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 09:47 PM
Thanks guys.... I just dug up two more 4' SOCONY signs about 3weeks ago. I will take a pic of them and post.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 10:38 PM
IF anyone is ever on a trip, DO NOT order the Bonjimmi unless your heading to a motel SOON. It'll make ya do a skip & 2 step just as soon as ya find a Rest Stop! laugh laugh laugh
**[for the newer members the reference above is part of a Fantasy Story I conjured up a few years ago using members User Names!]**

Good to see posting again Jim.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 10:51 PM
Hey Dick... I been trying like crazy to post a pic here but I cant seem to remember how to do it. might need some help. I hit new reply ... then file manager .. then upload the pic... then hit done,,, and...nothen happens...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:15 PM
File MUST be less than 150K, PLUS there has to be some kind of Text [.] if nothing else. OR upload w/ ImageShack/PhotoBucket [BOTH are FREE Image Hosting sites.
Use the TEST Forum & there is some Excellent Tutorials there.

POST THE DAMN PIC's,
WE are Addicts,
WE want Pic's
WE want Pic's
WE want Pic's
WE want Pic's
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:23 PM
Pictures of the File Manager direct image upload step-by-step process:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post189696
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:26 PM
Great finds....must be difficult selling them after the thrill of finding, digging and cleaning them.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:27 PM
Thanks DB... I think I got it now. I found these signs on another cesspool on my property about 3 weeks ago. They are still very dirty . I will clean them up and post a pic of them so we all can see how they look.

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri Apr 19 2013 11:33 PM
Yes it will be hard to see them go... But I have soo many of of the 6' and 4' signs that I can't even display them anywhere.. I have the best 6' one and two of the best 4' ones in my collection on display in my garage. I think the signs would be better off with other collectors to enjoy then stuffed behind my shed.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Apr 20 2013 10:58 AM
Cool stuff just read the whole thread. Makes me want to start digging behind my fathers house were I grew up. Behind the house is the Remnant of my Uncle Benny's Gulf station and my father tells me a owned a few American stations around the area too. Its an overgrown jungle that has a shack made of toasted tin signs. They are totally unreadable now but about 30 years ago I remember seeing some of the graphics. To date the only legible sign was a 4 piece tin sign from the Gulf station that was a add promotion for a free set of kitchen knives with a fill up. I all so have the complete set of porcelain exterior panels to the Gulf "Ice Cube" station design. I'm in the process of cleaning them up and then I'm going to try to integrate them into the garage wall design.
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Apr 20 2013 12:14 PM
I know after selling my 1951 6' SSP Mobilgas shield last year, the only thing I could think of to put in it's place was the 1937 6' DSP Socony shield I purchased from bonjimmi back in the spring of 2008...5 years ago. It's Right on the outside wall of my garage where I do alot of my wood & misc projects.

Jimmy, I hope Little Lea is doing good! smile

Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Sat Apr 20 2013 12:55 PM
Hey Maxgas.... It too bad about the old signs, but get that gulf sign cleaned
Up and on the wall....

Doc..... I am glad you are enjoying the sign, it looks great...
Lea is doing great, We are kicking Type 1's *****... I can't believe it's been over 5 years now...
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Apr 24 2013 11:43 PM
Well the guy came today and bought all the signs. For all the guys that emailed me about the signs, Im sorry. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Wed Apr 24 2013 11:46 PM
If someone meets your price,why not.
Thank you for taking us along for the dig,it was one of the best topics on here.
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 03 2013 11:32 PM
Hey guys... Is anyone going to the car show in Rhinebeck NY tomorrow or Sunday ? Some of my signs will be for sale in the swop meet. I will be there hanging out with some of my car buddies....
Posted By: nochevys Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 03 2013 11:38 PM
I should be there by 7:30AM where they gonna be set up if you know?
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Look at what I just dug up.. - Fri May 03 2013 11:47 PM
Hey Tom, I think the gates open at 8 am and I am planning to be there then. The guy that is selling them I think has a booth I one of the buildings. His name is Rags.... I am sure he will have them all set up. Hopefully I will run into you there.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk