Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Iceman Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 12:14 AM
Bought this 1959 mobil sign at an amish auction. It has 4 holes (about 3/8) drilled in upper half of sign precisely located about 2 feet apart. You can tell these were not hand-drilled, but rather drilled by a press or something (due to the precision of the holes). If you look closely, you can also see what looks like an impression in the paint around the holes of some type of bracket or something that previously was mounted on sign. Any of you Mobil Boys know what these holes are for? Could it have been a set-up for neon?

Thanks,
Clayton

Attached picture DSCN1436.JPG
Attached picture DSCN1439.JPG
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 12:48 AM
Holes for neon are 1 1/4"-2", standoff use #10-12 machine bolts spaced around to hold tubing.
Indents appear to be where washers were pulled down tight.
Someone had a Nice Patch Cover.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 01:02 AM
db is right--nothing to do with neon. Odd place to be putting a hole and the only one who knows why is the guy that drilled them.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 01:18 AM
Factory holes will have a Very Smooth edge where porcelain ran in during firing.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 09:46 AM
Nice gloss on that baby!
Posted By: bonjimmi Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 11:53 AM
Must of drilled the holes to mount the sign somewhere. Nice looking sign. I would paint that top flange you put on it colbolt blue like Doc did on his 6 footer.
Posted By: Iceman Re: Machine drilled holes in Mobil Pegasus Sign - Sun Apr 28 2013 02:42 PM
I have original mounting bracket & hardware....just made this temporary aluminum bracket to hang the sign on my garage wall....Thanks for replies!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk