Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Brian Harris Fry Mae West Pump Holes. ??? - Thu Jan 25 2001 05:16 PM
I believe this is the right forum for this question given what I've read so far. I restored a Mae West but remain vexed buy what appears to be vacant sign attachement holes... four each side of the body at the waist line, one at 12 o'clock, 3, 6, and nine o'clock, in a 7-7/8" diameter. They were threaded, #6-32 ish holes, and the rust texture was mostly absent in a circular pattern indicating the attachment of a round sign. I've been told these pumps didnt have signs, at least other than distinctly shaped Fry Gaurantee signs, so I just filled them with brass screws. Did some fuel dealer just defame this pump in the name of commerce, or were round (8" ish) signs commonplace? What would you guys do... fill the holes, leave the brass screws, juryrig a sign, or just leave it to personal taste? Thanks in advance for any and all replies. BH
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Fry Mae West Pump Holes. ??? - Fri Jan 26 2001 12:36 AM
I have a Texaco 8in por. sign with a slight curve. The Mae West is the only pump that I have that this sign fits [about 8 1/2 in below the long door].
Posted By: Morgan Re: Fry Mae West Pump Holes. ??? - Sat Jan 27 2001 03:10 AM
I bought a Mae West years ago and it had curved Texaco signs mounted in this location. Only Mae West I ever found with any signage.
Posted By: Brian Harris Re: Fry Mae West Pump Holes. ??? - Tue Jan 30 2001 06:39 PM
Thanks for the reply you guys... I've refurb'd the pump in Sinclair colors, so maybe I'll just keep the brass screws. I'll also keep my eye open for a bent/curved sinclair sign, though maybe Texaco was the only brand to "authorize" the non-standard mounting of signs. Bending a porcelain sign to the degree necessary to meet the waistline contour would likely flake the porcelain, so the Texaco signs you mention must have been pre-formed? Any other input is welcomed, and thanks.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk