Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 02:14 AM
Here is the steps in required in repairing a broken cast iron base to a gas pump. This particular base is off of a Wayne 866 but the process is the same for most all pumps.
This first picture shows the "two piece" base

Here the edges are ground down to a taper to allow good weld penetration

Next, the base is heated to prevent cracking from the weld

This is the welding rod (nickel) used to weld the casting
Posted By: JEFFSAUTOMOBILIA Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 02:23 AM
And now the welding process with the welder setting at 90 amps

Allowing the cast to cool very slow is the key in preventing cracking when welding cast iron. Sometimes packing it in sand allows the cast to cool at a slower rate but was not required with this base. Here is the finished product, ready for sandblasting, a little grinding ,primer, and a small amount of body filler

One of the most important requirements for this job is to have a good friend (who also is my cousin) with great welding skills to achieve results like this.
Thanks Brian!!
Posted By: ward zaharia Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 03:12 AM
great job beautiful

ward
Posted By: big cheese Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 12:05 PM
super post. cheese
Posted By: +Chris Holt Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 05:26 PM
Jeff , Nice Job, I have used that rod before with great results, T-Way has a Neptune base that I have to weld up, this time I'll be using the same type of rod just a different Brand name. there is a lot brands of this type of rod on the market today that you can use with with a small AC-DC buzz box welder.
Posted By: 41Again Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Wed Nov 10 2004 11:19 PM
nickle rod works okay but lots of hard grinding. sandblast first, then use oa and braze it. the brass is easy to grind and plenty strong as long as you dont drive the pump in the rain.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Thu Nov 11 2004 02:25 PM
I drive my pumps in the rain and snow, sometimes even sleet so I definately need the the rods pictured above. Nice job Jeff.
Posted By: Tokheim Re: Restoring a gas pump base - Thu Nov 11 2004 02:38 PM
Yep, good job Jeff. When we repair cast iron items we follow very similar steps, including a nickel rod usually. If the item is too large to preheat and retain that heat we have luck with welding a half inch at a time and letting it cool down enough to touch before we continue.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk