Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: thermactor globe light bulb adapter - Tue Oct 25 2005 11:24 PM
Hey guys,

I was talking to someone at a swap meet (I can't remember who, but I think it might have been Kevin 'Tee Tee'). We were talking about Tokheim pumps that have a sheet metal cap on the globe hole, but still have a socket under it. He said that Tokheim sold some risers that had a male socket one one end, and a female socket on the other. These would screw into the factory socket below the level of the dome, and extend up about 6 inches so the bulb will be in the middle of the globe.

Does anyone know if there's a source for one of these, either new or used?

Thanks,
Wes
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: globe light bulb adapter - Tue Oct 25 2005 11:48 PM
Make your own with a length of 1 1/2" PVC pipe, a screw-in plug recepitical, a light socket, & 2 length of 14 ga. coated wire. Make all conections, insert into PVC & secure with silicone.
db
Posted By: T-way Re: globe light bulb adapter - Wed Oct 26 2005 10:45 AM
Or . . . .

Just use a longer piece of threaded conduit when you redo the electrical on the pump. That way, you can extend the socket up to the center of the globe body.

They sell 'standard' lengths of pre-threaded pipe at most of the 'big-box' Home Improvement stores. Just get the one that comes closest to what you need. Remember to include the height of the bulb you will be using when you decide on the length to buy.

Just me 2-cents.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com
Posted By: tall49guy Re: globe light bulb adapter - Wed Oct 26 2005 02:18 PM
Thanks for the tip on this one, guys!!!!!!!!
Posted By: thermactor Re: globe light bulb adapter - Thu Oct 27 2005 01:28 AM
Yeah - Thanks! I guess it never really crossed my mind to just use PVC. A lot of times I probably get too caught up in having something be "correct" even if nobody sees it. Comes from car restoration I guess...

Wes
Posted By: Rust Collector Re: globe light bulb adapter - Thu Oct 27 2005 05:26 AM
Wes,
There are some socket extensions out there.
One style comes in lengths of around 5, 6, 8, 12 inches. Also there are the short ones (approx 1=1/2") that you can use 2 or 3 together. All of these items should be in any good electrical supply house. Note, the longer ones have a swivel female end, they use them to extend bulbs out of can lights in stores.
Ed
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk