Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:21 AM
This pump will stay unrestored but have not decided if I want to clean the dirt, bird poop and remove the bird nest inside the top. Some of the nest fell in the face area. It also still has the guts and that will be another decision later. What would you guys do? A while back I got this 36B clockface and decided the leave the dirt because the paint is decent and the dirt helps with the patina.

Posted By: jaytee Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:26 AM
Leave it.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:35 AM
Matt clean or dirty you have the neatest collection of pumps going (pun intended).
Fred
Posted By: Nicole Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:36 AM
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:38 AM
every summer I'm overrun with Barn Swallows, they ***** all over everything and I don't find it in any way attractive, I say wash it and leave it, then again a Robin got in my shop and built a nest in a globe body on top of my Roman and I left it until the babies were gone, still, wash it.
Posted By: keithia Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:48 AM
Clean it!!
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:50 AM
I love your pumps! Clean and scrub and your done! Nice.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 03:34 AM
Clean it then leave it..
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 04:10 AM
Great looking I agree ,leave as is but clean the nest and bird droppings, I wipe down my grandfathers old gilbarco every couple of months with a fresh coat of wd -40 and everyone that comes by always likes it over the shiny stuff. Nice pumps Matt !
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 04:20 AM
Another great pump; I vote, clean it.
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 11:59 AM
Matt, I was wondering the same thing on this farm fresh Wayne 60 I just got. It's got 77 years of dirt, patina, birds nest (some have fallen into the face area), and it also has the guts. My vote is to not clean it, get the lights working, possibly try to free up the pump, and keep them 100% original.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 12:31 PM
I agree,clean it,but that's all.
Posted By: Catauladave Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 12:54 PM
Bird droppings present several problems. One is their often corrosive nature. This may add "ambiance" and a desirable patina for some, but it can be destructive to the item underneath.Another less known, but one that I have personal knowledge and experience of, is Histoplasmosis. It is a respiratory infection that can cause all types of problems. Dave
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:00 PM
As the man said bird do-do isn't good for paint or really anything else. Clean it up and paint it in Cities Service green and white.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:01 PM
Dirt and Patina just don't work in the same sentence! I think the dirt, and especially the bird droppings, really detract from the classy old look of the pump! That old patina is great and hard to find and really adds to a pump display, but dirt and bird droppings just seem to say that the owner doesn't care about the condition presented! I vote---CLEAN IT UP!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:13 PM
IF YOU like the S**** Look, leave it AS IS.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:33 PM
my 2 cents, you don't drive around with that all over the car unless you like it-
if for anything else sanitary reasons- CLEAN IT.. cool
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 01:59 PM
Here's a painting of a Super Shell Wayne 60 I always liked .

I vote clean the bird poop off and maybe put a fake or real bird nest in it. It just shows how these old pumps were found.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: LOWright Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:18 PM
I vote, clean it…….Nice pump!
Posted By: toychaser2005 Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:37 PM
clean it
Posted By: hvychev Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 02:54 PM
clean it
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 03:19 PM
clean it!!
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 04:22 PM
Clean
Posted By: tbert1 Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 10:18 PM
Can any of you guys tell me what the paint code for bird s**t is? I have a pump I want to make it look farm fresh. Any info would be helpful. LOL.
Posted By: Tunk-Z28 Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 10:27 PM
Easy,Two parts cottage cheese,one part dark chocolate,One quart tequila,One lime,Blender mix.Drink very fast,Next morning,YOU GOT IT!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Clean it or leave it. - Sun Aug 11 2013 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: tbert1
Can any of you guys tell me what the paint code for bird s**t is? I have a pump I want to make it look farm fresh. Any info would be helpful. LOL.

Set pump outside, place a bowl of bird seed in globe ring & wait a couple of weeks!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Clean it or leave it. - Mon Aug 12 2013 01:46 AM
clean it...
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Clean it or leave it. - Mon Aug 12 2013 02:10 AM
OK, I took it apart and cleaned it. There was a big nest in the top. The guts were carfully removed incase I sell it in the future and the new owner wants them or I would sell them if someone wants them for their Tok 34. The picture with the tag on the face is for db to see. Will post clean pictures after it is put back together.

Posted By: Catauladave Re: Clean it or leave it. - Mon Aug 12 2013 09:23 AM
Use white/lt. grey latex house paint and dilute it so that it will run. Place it in a squeeze bottle and drop it strategically where the birds would have been.Do the same with brown/black paint(a little thicker) and olive green/yellow paint(thicker still). Practice on a piece of sheet metal first. photograph and post pics.Dave
sorry..no codes...just theater tricks
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk