Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: besgar real or repro - Mon Oct 31 2005 02:36 PM
I am thinking about retracting my bid on this item, I believe it's a repro, would like some input from you sign experts. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7191953417&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

thanks, Brandon
Posted By: scootdog Re: real or repro - Mon Oct 31 2005 02:52 PM
Brandon- I am with you in the repo boat, not enough bidding on this very nice sign. Its advertised in the right catagory but there is just not enough action for me to throw a couple of hundred bucks away. If this is real it should go for over a grand I think.

Scott
Posted By: Signal Gas & Oil Re: real or repro - Mon Oct 31 2005 04:19 PM
I've always been a little afraid of these as some were popped. The original go from $700 to $1300 and I have had the chance to hold them. Originals have very heavy porcelain and the sign is heavy for being little. I would stay away from this one unless you got a whole bunch of info. Size,weight, etc.The seller doesn't have any other gas stuff so beware. No action on the sign shows me it's popped. Having a sign for 20 years does not tell you anything. Read the question about it. The seller says it's almost smooth. Repops aren't thick. My 2 cents. Ted

------------------
Ted Pam & Ethyl Roach
Lodi CA.
Home of Roach & Darnell Texaco 1952 -1963 & Richfield Arco 1963 - 1972
pca-west.org
vintage-logos

[This message has been edited by troach (edited 10-31-2005).]
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: real or repro - Mon Oct 31 2005 04:41 PM
BE AFRAID....BE VERY AFRAID....RUN BESGAR!
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: real or repro - Tue Nov 01 2005 12:46 AM
Yeah, I have a Red Crown scrip sign from that era & it has heavy shelving like Ted stated, & the metal is usually kind of "wavy" on these things. Also, it might be his camera, but the colors look a little "off" to me.
Posted By: Pablo Re: real or repro - Tue Nov 01 2005 12:56 AM
I'm with Ted. I'd be very leery of this sign without holding it in my hands. That being said, I'm not aware that these Standard of California Red Crown signs were ever repopped. Keep in mind, it's a double-sided paddle sign with limited collector appeal. If it is a repop, my guess it's very recent. I don't believe they did double-sided repops 20 years ago. Of course, you learn something new every day in this hobby.

Any more opinions??

Paul
Posted By: Flyingaman Re: real or repro - Wed Nov 02 2005 01:08 AM
I am not a Red Crown collector, but I didn't think that anybody was repoping two sided porcellin signs. Could be I just hadn't paid attention to what was going on. Seems to me that if this sign is real someone could end up with a sweet deal.It would be interesting to have a local collector go check this one out before the auction ends.

Craig
Posted By: Pablo Re: real or repro - Wed Nov 02 2005 01:38 AM
Craig,
Unfortunately, in recent years there have been several repop 30 inch porcelain signs turn up. At first, they fooled a lot of collectors. I mean, who would think a repop could be double-sided?? Some examples...Gulf 30" disc, Phillips Ethyl 30" shield and Texaco 30" round black 'T' star (fantasy).

The Red Crown paddle sign only went to $178 and didn't meet reserve. That's suspicious in itself. It may well be a repop but I haven't seen one before. As mentioned, the proof would be examining it up close. An original sign would have to be heavy porcelain with significant shelving.

Paul
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk