Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: hotcidr Vic's 66 auction - Thu Feb 23 2006 12:33 AM
Quality, quality & more quality. We left sunny California not having any idea what cold weather was all about. First night in Guthrie the weather turned to below zero and we found out what it was like to drive on ice. Not fun.
We’ve gone to all 8 of Vic’s auctions and this was, by far, the very best. Nothing but 350 high quality items for the “discerning buyer” and then a final 150 so-so signs for those who want to head to the swap meets or gas bashes with some bargains to sell.
Back to the quality items. Many fantastic globes with the highest going $21,000 for the Signal Products, $15,500 for the Tiwoser and $5,500 for the Red Hat (plus buyer’s fee). Many more high prices on what was probably the best selection, quality & number of globes ever offered at an auction. Signs, my favorite, many were of the highest quality I’ve ever seen. Dealership signs that looked like they had never been hung and some great gas and oil pieces as well. It was so great not to have 3 hours of “smalls” that most people don’t care about anyway. The auction started right out with a beautiful Williams Gasoline sign and went from there. Some great pump buys in the middle of the day.
I can’t wait to go back next year.
Ray Seider
Posted By: Seth Robbins Re: Vic's 66 auction - Thu Feb 23 2006 02:32 AM
Great to see Ray & Mary Sue once again....I still am wondering when her sight is going to return so she can see how far down she married

Yes, Ray is a fixture at our event. He's one of those rare guys who can really improve the pace & price of a sale in that he has at least some knowledge about all of the categories we sell. Thus, he can recognize a good deal throughout the day and generally will not let something slip completely through the cracks.

The weather did freak out on us, but I am afraid if it hadn't, that we wouldn't have been able to pack everyone in. We were at 12 degrees with 2 inches of solid ice on the ground and we were still at near capacity in the building and at 200+ online.

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 02-22-2006).]
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk