Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mattthegasman " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 06:35 PM
Did or does this company make reproduction signs, am I taking the word "novelty" correctly ? I recently bought a sign that is/was supposed to be real from a guy and when it got here I noticed the very small print in the lower right " the novelty sign co. coshocton o. " Can anyone shed some light on this ? Thanks !
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 06:50 PM
...I think that's an old sign company...'novelty' likely referred to 'advertising novelties'...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 07:04 PM
http://www.noveltyadv.com/about.html
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 07:07 PM
Matt, not sure this is the same Company? But, I believe it is:

http://www.noveltyadv.com/about.html
Posted By: NashMan Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 07:17 PM
Novelty was one of the many sign and novelty advertising companies in Coshocton. Novelty is still in business and owned by the same family. I have never seen anyone reproduce a sign and mark it with any of the Coshocton sign companies, I would bet you sign is real.
Posted By: advertologist Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: mattthegasman
Did or does this company make reproduction signs, am I taking the word "novelty" correctly ? I recently bought a sign that is/was supposed to be real from a guy and when it got here I noticed the very small print in the lower right " the novelty sign co. coshocton o. " Can anyone shed some light on this ? Thanks !

Please post pictures of your recent purchase?.. cool
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Fri Oct 18 2013 11:52 PM
Baltimore enamel used word novelty a lot. Believe I've seen it on their signs.
Posted By: TerryL Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Sat Oct 19 2013 01:11 AM
Novelty Advertising is still in business here in Coshocton Ohio. They are still family owned and have been here for many many years.
Posted By: JimT Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Sat Oct 19 2013 09:49 AM
Matt, I've been seeing a couple of , IMO, questionable, but authentic looking, tin embossed signs recently appearing around Northern -Central Ohio in the last year or so.(With "novelty sign" @ bottom right. At various auctions. They have been near mint with wood frames. A Texaco "Just ahead" and a Ford farm equiptment comes to mind. I was leary but they went for strong money.... Got a picture of your sign in question? This Texaco seemed kind of small for what it was advertising- I just stayed off it. It was like 2 foot by 3 foot or so. "Novelty" did make tin signs back in the day, from what I gather... Not sure if I have had any in my possession over the years though...

Attached picture photo.JPG
Posted By: scottpcm Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Sat Oct 19 2013 07:10 PM
Novelty, Ohio is a town where they made signs! I wondered the same thing until I did some research...Scott B.
Posted By: mattthegasman Re: " the novelty ad co. coschocton o. " - Sat Oct 19 2013 10:34 PM
Thanks guys, all the info is puting me a little more at ease with the deal !
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk