Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Mobil Topper - Thu Feb 06 2014 10:02 PM
Can I get an opinion or two on whether repop or not? My first thoughts lean towards repop. I've read other threads on the topic and still don't know what to think. Thanks.

Attached picture Peg Frnt.jpg
Attached picture Peg Back.jpg
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Mobil Topper - Thu Feb 06 2014 10:23 PM
Ron, send a PM to Dave Reynolds (Mobilford) he is an expert on these toppers....
Posted By: mobilford Re: Mobil Topper - Thu Feb 06 2014 11:00 PM
I've looked at a lot of them and from the picture my opinion would be that is an original. It is hard to tell in a picture but the back may have been repainted. When these were made, three different suppliers were stamping them out around the clock so some variation is seen in the originals. They distributed 5,700,000 the first year. This was the first of the Drive Safely series and I believe they were first released in 1936.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Mobil Topper - Thu Feb 06 2014 11:32 PM
I believe it is a repop. Yes it has the oval mounting hole but the wings are missing the details on the back side
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Mobil Topper - Thu Feb 06 2014 11:40 PM
Ron I am with you, can't tell them apart and the experts can't agree (and they are good) so I'll just avoid them and avoid the hassle. Besides 5.7M of them were stamped out on the first run.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 01:00 AM
That pic of the back is short on light, so I wouldn't make a determination without a pic with more light. With that many having been produced, I'm sere there were lots made with the tooling on its last leg, and details not so crisp.
Posted By: mobilford Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 01:06 AM
I agree on the lack of detail on the back which I thought may have been masked by repainting. If you see it in hand it would be easier to decide. The front paint lines look ok but there are variations in originals. These were not precise works of art.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 01:32 AM

Look at the details in the mane and the wings. This is a real deal IMO.

Good luck
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 02:45 AM
Thanks for all your inputs. This helps me out in an area I'm not familiar with.

The details are there. They are masked by the gloss of the black paint. And the angle of the photo doesn't help. I don't know...worth taking a chance for $50?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 03:00 AM
How long would $50 last in a Bar & what would you have the next morning to look at?
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 03:13 AM
In this city? Might get me in the door. Then I get to look at stuff I don't want, can't have, and can't afford. Then flashing Christmas lights before I can make out of the parking lot.

I think I get what you're saying, DB.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 12:03 PM
I don't have any experience with these other than looking at a lot of pictures. I'm pretty careful, but I think I'd pull the trigger on this one, especially at the price. I've seen pics of several that I would not buy at any price.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
what would you have the next morning to look at?

laugh

Attached picture wakeup.jpg
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 03:44 PM
That'll run you a little over 59 bucks. : )
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Mobil Topper - Fri Feb 07 2014 09:04 PM
The topper in question looks good to me....
Darin
Posted By: Highway66 Re: Mobil Topper - Sat Feb 08 2014 01:24 AM
Yes this topper is real.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Mobil Topper - Sat Feb 08 2014 06:56 AM
Is that what you call her? A $59 topper.
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Mobil Topper - Sun Feb 09 2014 03:40 PM
Ron,

I have been interested in Mobil-Pegsus toppers for a while. I knew I needed a lot of education before I touched any of them.

While searching on eBay for toppers, I came across the booklet by mobilford . So, I asked for input from OG:

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=82915&Number=505087#Post505087

I purchased the "booklet" and I must admit it has helped me a lot. It is a great resource for all collectors!

Hen
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Mobil Topper - Sun Feb 09 2014 05:32 PM
Originally Posted By: henlovestoys
Ron,

I have been interested in Mobil-Pegsus toppers for a while. I knew I needed a lot of education before I touched any of them.

While searching on eBay for toppers, I came across the booklet by mobilford . So, I asked for input from OG:

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=82915&Number=505087#Post505087

I purchased the "booklet" and I must admit it has helped me a lot. It is a great resource for all collectors!

Hen

Hen, according to the book, would you have purchased this particular topper as a guaranteed original? Just curious if the book gets into how to tell a real from a fake. Rick
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Mobil Topper - Sun Feb 09 2014 07:19 PM
Rick, Dave's booklet does give descriptions and info on "how to tell the differences" between original and fake. The booklet has pages of images, approx 100 color images (rough count); Images include original, repop and fantasy toppers...

He also includes a history of these toppers.

The images are not only of toppers from the US. But, include images of toppers made and used in Australia and one made for the New Zealand Markets.
Posted By: mobilford Re: Mobil Topper - Sun Feb 09 2014 11:55 PM
My booklet came about from notes and pictures that I had kept to help me differentiate between original toppers and the many reproductions I had seen. I made a folder of the information and a friend suggested I make the booklet. My opinions are based on my collection and several others I have seen. There are some great collections of Socony (Mobil)items and these collectors may have seen more variations than I have. I enjoy the research on the dates of distribution etc. I have been able to write articles for "Check the Oil" about information on Shell, Goodrich, Amoco, Irving, Alemite, Tydol, and WWII toppers. The Socony booklet has let me meet a lot of great collectors from around the world and realize you never stop learning. Thanks to all OLDGAS members for their assistance through the years.
Posted By: Ron Cabanayan Re: Mobil Topper - Mon Feb 10 2014 01:27 AM
Thanks for all the info. This has been a great lesson for me. I haven't really gotten into much toppers but do like a few of them that I've seen. But, I will get the book you have all been referring to for future finds. Alas, I missed out on this deal because of my hesitation brought out by my lack of knowledge. Hopefully next time. I still have my $50 for the bar.

Ron
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Mobil Topper - Mon Feb 10 2014 04:35 AM
Rick,

You wrote: " Hen, according to the book, would you have purchased this particular topper as a guaranteed original? Just curious if the book gets into how to tell a real from a fake".

I am going to take my time to study this booklet & use the knowledge to grab what is out there: eBay or at a Gas Bash. I believe the booklet clearly shows the differences (Real vs. Repo) as Bob Richards mentioned above.

Also ...

Value of an object is key to everything. I believe Ron mentioned "worth taking a chance for $50?".
What is gona go wrong for $50 even if it is a repro & produced in U.S. Now, if this topper had a price tag of >$100, I would walk away!

Finally, ...

Why not buy a good one from the right source while I am learning. I purchased this BEAUTY from Dave Reynolds (Mobilford).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271387338412

Regards,

Hen
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk