Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: keithia Texaco Letters - Wed May 21 2014 12:27 AM
OK pick me a letter. Picked up these Texaco letters and I am trying to figure out what they spell. I have done some research and I have found these Texaco letters used on stations spelling out these words.

1. Marfax
2. Gas & Oil
3. Lubrication
4. Washing
5. Fire Chief & Sky Chief

Anyone know of any others or other words to spell or what I am missing? I appear to be missing letters. The first group is what I spelled and the others are unused at this point.

Attached picture IMG_9111.JPG
Attached picture IMG_9112.JPG
Posted By: KentuckyT Re: Texaco Letters - Wed May 21 2014 12:30 AM
They were also used to spell out a station owner's name.
Posted By: nam5072 Re: Texaco Letters - Wed May 21 2014 12:43 AM
Texaco MARINE, INSULATED, IMPROVED..
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Letters - Thu May 22 2014 12:37 AM
I have not seen Fire Chief or Sky Chief or Marine, Insulated or Improved spelled out....but I don't know everything. (Don't tell my wife) I have also seen Tires and Batteries and like Jamie said, Station or owner names.
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: Texaco Letters - Thu May 22 2014 12:42 AM
I too must admit, that I have not seen Fire Chief nor Sky Chief spelled out in any images I have; Nor in the Stations I had seen...

But, I am not an expert on Texaco and as such. I am positive that there are a number of "things" about Texaco Stations that I am not familiar with.
Posted By: keithia Re: Texaco Letters - Thu May 22 2014 02:08 AM
I saw the Sky Chief & Fire Chief on Ebay but maybe someone just made that up with extra letters. Did not see that in old pictures. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Letters - Thu May 22 2014 02:25 AM
I saw that on eBay as well. If anyone has a picture of a station with that I would love to see it.....
Posted By: blacktee Re: Texaco Letters - Fri May 23 2014 10:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Alex
I have not seen Fire Chief or Sky Chief or Marine, Insulated or Improved spelled out....but I don't know everything. (Don't tell my wife) I have also seen Tires and Batteries and like Jamie said, Station or owner names.

Atta Boy Alex 100% correct! : ) Also Tune Up, TEXACO, PROP. & Owners name as mentioned. The Fire Chief/Sky Chief were most likely put together from MARFAK LUBRICATION & WASHING, (needing only the E to complete it.) I'm guessing 95% of the stations had WASHING second bay from office, and MARFAK LUBRICATION next to the office.
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Letters - Fri May 23 2014 05:38 PM
Tune Up was one? I did not know that..NowI need to go look at the extra letters I have. LOL. Not to blow smoke at Blacktee, but if he told me Texaco had a Purple painted gas pumps, I would believe him...Not too much he doesn't know about Texaco.
Posted By: keithia Re: Texaco Letters - Fri May 23 2014 10:39 PM
I saw tune up on Ebay also. I got a lot of letter but can't spell much. Need some U's and L's. Got these also. They are painted black as are some of the little letters. I was told that was done for a reimage.

Attached picture IMG_9113.JPG
Posted By: Alex Re: Texaco Letters - Sat May 24 2014 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: keithia
They are painted black as are some of the little letters. I was told that was done for a reimage.

When Texaco went to the Matawan Style station (had the rock work on the station) they went to smaller black letters. You see them on ebay a couple of times a year. I wonder if some stations just painted the letters....nah, that doesn't make sense.....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk