Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BryceG Globe Questions - Wed Jun 25 2014 05:49 PM
I bought these globes in CTO as fillers for my shelf until I can get ones to take their place.

Apex Motor Oil is a fantasy OPE globe
Tioga Gasoline is a fantasy globe based off the original lens
Mountain Gasoline is a repo OPE globe

From what I could see, none of the globes are marked. I would like to mark them by etching the glass inside the neck.

Does anyone recall when these were produced? I would like to put an accurate date with the etching.

Also, for my own future reference, the mountain globe looks darn near exact to what is in Scotts guide... anyone have advice on how to tell the difference between the two?

Attached picture new_globes.jpg
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Globe Questions - Wed Jun 25 2014 06:30 PM
...Bryce, thanks for taking the time to do what should have been done in the first place...

...I would start by asking Rory Brinkman what information he has...if memory serves me correctly, they were described as 'limited edition' in the auction...that term had to come from somewhere...
Posted By: BryceG Re: Globe Questions - Wed Jun 25 2014 09:19 PM
I have emailed Rory... hoping to get some more info from him. They were each described as being produced as a one-time run. But I suspect that the Apex was probably a custom job.

Does anyone know who owns the Mountain globe in Scott's guide?
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 12:03 AM
Sent you a pm.

Goober
Posted By: BryceG Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 12:40 AM
Thanks Goober for the info.

These were all out of the Glenn Thompson collection, the two OPEs were made by him. The quality doesn't surprise me, I remember seeing pictures of the neat pumps he had made.

since its unknown when exactly he made them, I will etch them 2005, the year that he passed away.
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:31 AM
ok i gotta ask the stupid question, what does ope stand for? scott
Posted By: BryceG Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:32 AM
Globe term... OPE = One Piece Etched
Posted By: hemistudegasser Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:36 AM
thanks bryce
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:08 PM
Mountain and apex made by the late Glen Thompson around 1999. Toga was made by petroleum artifacts not sure when. Apex is ONLY known as a sign. It was I believe a Nashville based company only involved in lubricants, not gasoline.
Mountain globe is easy to tell difference.......... How you say..... When Glen made, he thought trees in picture he copied was an oil well. LOL. Who ever heard of an oil well on top of a mountain? So that is what was put there. Look at the globe closely. I teased him about that........LOL. Oil wells obviously are NOT drilled up on mountains........
Thanks for marking them!!!!!!!
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:14 PM
Bryce, after you date them and decide to to sell one day, I would like to be first on list for the mountain globe sort of as a memory of my old friend. I rassed him pretty hard over the oil well thing! Thanks.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 01:59 PM
great information, thank you Roger. and little did Glen know, that the oil well would serve as a future identifier of his work!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: roger cherry
Who ever heard of an oil well on top of a mountain? So that is what was put there. Look at the globe closely. I teased him about that........LOL. Oil wells obviously are NOT drilled up on mountains........
Thanks for marking them!!!!!!!

UNION OIL Co's 1st wells were on Mountains in Ventura County [Torrey Canyon, Sespe Canyon,etc] & some are still producing.

Attached picture _001.JPG
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Globe Questions - Thu Jun 26 2014 03:54 PM
Image 1
image 2
Posted By: rd_signs Re: Globe Questions - Fri Jun 27 2014 10:54 PM
What would you use to "etch" date the globes? acid or a electric etcher? Is there danger of cracking the globes with an etcher? And there is lots of oil wells on top of mountains.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Globe Questions - Sat Jun 28 2014 01:07 AM
Hydrofluoric acid, Buy from a Craft Shop for etching Glass comes in a Paste.
http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/cream.html
Posted By: BryceG Re: Globe Questions - Sat Jun 28 2014 03:01 AM
yeah... glass etching cream can be bought from any hobby shop or amazon... then just have to create a stencil to make it look nice.

never done it before, but doesnt seem too difficult (i hope)
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Globe Questions - Sat Jun 28 2014 03:23 AM
Don't have to be Fancy, use a Q-tip.
Posted By: oslosteve Re: Globe Questions - Sat Jun 28 2014 11:16 AM
I can send you some proper masks for your date 1999 will have some made of you or send you a piece of material ,make your own .Etching Cream only removes the gloss does'nt etch into the glass like media blast
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Globe Questions - Sun Jun 29 2014 02:07 PM
OK, I am now the stupid one when it comes to oil wells on top of mountains......LOL Thanks Dick, on the the mountains in Tennessee all we have are moonshine stills......LOL
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Globe Questions - Sun Jun 29 2014 04:09 PM
You'd find more Stills in the Holl'rs than on the side of Hills!
Union Oil drilled in places on sides of mountains that the rigs/equip. had to be cable winched into place [up/down/across ravines].
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk