Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Dick Bennett A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:21 PM
#1.. STOP WATCHING American Pickers, it's NOT REAL.
#2.. Be HONEST, WE have heard most Lies.
#3.. Never try to sell an item NOT IN YOUR POSSESSION.
#4.. Ask REALISTIC Prices [very few items will be worth 2X what you paid].
#5.. Don't Expect Members to support you.
#6.. Size Does Matter, Larger is Not always Better/Worth more [doesn't matter what she says].
#7.. Condition is King, Rarity Might be a Princess or a FROG.
#8.. HONOR [w/o it your Toast], Offer 100% Refund.
#9.. Package items for Protection [to shipping employees it's just a job].
#10.. Insurance is to ensure you did a Great Job in Packaging/Protection.
#11.. DON'T Believe everything a Seller Says, he Wants to Sell it!

Feel Free to add More
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:29 PM
#12... If an ad says NFS it doent mean Now For Sale
#13... Dont shop in India
#14... Get a dictionary and learn difference in Rare and Scarce
#15... Dont ask DB's opinion,,, you may not want to hear it.
#16... No trespassing on property
#17... Dont overcharge shipping to make up for fees on eBay (refund if too much)
#18... Keep customers happy, they always come back
#19... Saying "I know a guy with that" doesnt help
#20... Dont btt on oldgas non stop. 24hr rule

Who is next. This is going to get good
Posted By: dodgeman60 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:38 PM
I would comment on this but I think you guys got it covered!!!
Posted By: THERMOMAN Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:40 PM
#21... If you try to sell a repop as original you will be forever labeled as a thief.

#22... don't ever label or describe something as one of a kind or last one in existence. You are wrong...always wrong
Posted By: bowserman Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Thu Aug 14 2014 11:58 PM
#23...Do your own damn homework.. don't come on here asking for a value only to turn around and list it one minute later for 3x what you were told its worth.
Posted By: roger cherry Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:32 AM
#24.... Leave a little meat on the bone. Your customers will always have a warm fuzzy when the buy in the future.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:37 AM
#25....You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Posted By: mcguffeyd1 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:43 AM
#26... If your wife hates it, GET IT!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:47 AM
#26...DON'T Claim it will Clean Up, Prove It.

[Keystone, Why is B.S. ALWAYS covered w/ Flies? laugh ]
Posted By: wocopep Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:57 AM
#27 It doesnt cost a dime to be nice, wether your buying or selling.
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:58 AM
LOL

Originally Posted By: DB
Keystone, Why is B.S. ALWAYS covered w/ Flies? laugh ]
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:04 AM
Your reputation tomorrow is worth more than a few fast bucks today

People remember good and bad deals

Karma..
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:06 AM
#28 Be HONEST!
#29 WHEN you do something wrong, do what you can do to make your costumer content.
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:11 AM
Hahaha. LOL
Posted By: Catauladave Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:26 AM
Don't be pushy, rude, arrogant, or a know-it-all.
Always come back if only to say hi. People are more important than stuff.
Take a truck, tools and cash.
If you are dealing with a man...carry a pretty girl with you that can carry on a conversation and doesn't mind getting dirty.
USE COMMON SENSE. If you don't have any...stay at home.
A really good "picker" is a rarity. I am taking about someone that can relate to most people and can find something in an area that you have been over 10 times. I have only seen a couple in 30 years.

Dave
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Gas globe guy
#28 Be HONEST!
#29 WHEN you do something wrong, do what you can do to make your costumer content.

Re-Read # 2 & 8

Customer
Posted By: Mike M. Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 02:26 AM
#30 treat everyone like you would like to be treated at all Times.
#31 If you sell something to someone else, make sure they have it in their possession before they try to sell it here or on E-bay and don't think anyone won't remember the item when you repost it for sale all with the same pictures.
Posted By: Gas globe guy Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 02:44 AM
What ever DB. Both are important right? Why not say em again? laugh keep em coming. This is a good one!
Posted By: Oilcanman87 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:21 AM
#32 Respect the older more experienced and sometimes wiser members/collectors that give good advice and guidance.

#33 Be willing to help the new and younger members/collectors that are trying to learn in the hobby.
Posted By: GILMORE Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:27 AM
This, and a list on how to ship, should be supplied to high school and college academic counselor's as it seems more and more "young adults" are choosing "picker" as a career choice.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 03:51 AM
Beat me to it, I was going to say re-read #15!!!!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 04:54 AM
#34...DO NOT abuse the Value Forum, BEFORE/AFTER you buy items.
#35...As a Picker you are expected to Know Values, It's not our job to Educate you.
#36...DO NOT Abuse Oldgas For Sale Forums [Donations to Oldgas ARE ACCEPTED & should be considered a Business Expenses]
Posted By: Bbburke Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 05:59 AM
#37. If you only buy stuff off Ebay and then resell it on Ebay. You aren't a picker.

We need to come up with a proper job title for that position. Any suggestions?

DB. Size does matter. I don't care what she says!!! Perfect... Bigger doesn't

Make it more valuable. On the other hand, that big one will get you a bunch

of extra attention if you display it in the right place. Plus, Everyone around town

will be talking about how huge it is and telling their friends to check it out.

Posted By: Bbburke Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 07:32 AM

#38. Sell quick, buy more. Sell quick, buy more. The more items you sell equals
another person you meet. Another person you meet equals more possibilities for
finding and selling more great stuff.

#39. Learn how to handle a bad buy. Everyone makes mistakes here and there buying stuff for a bit too much. Instead of holding onto the item forever trying to get back every nickel you have in it. Move the item, get back as much as you can and use that buy money on something that will make money. In the time it takes you to find that special person and make a small profit or get the money you had in it back. I will have bought and sold 10 different items and recouped my original loss and then some. Not to mention, the more you are out there turning over. The greater your chances are to get that special item that you make a killing off of.

#4o. The good stuff can be anywhere. So you need to look everywere. Buddy of mine goes to The Goodwill next to his house every other day. Two months ago he found a Eucalali mixed in a box of kids toys. He recognized what it was, bought it for $5.00, and sold it the very next day on Ebay for $2500.00. Then, to keep his karma on point like Wes said. He went and bought $500.00 worth of baseball equipment and gave it to the Boys and Girls Club.

#41. Don't take advantage of people who don't know what something is worth when they buy it. As is proven on this site everyday, a lot of people do their research after they buy for some reason. Always a positive when people find out you didn't screw them over even though you had the chance to do so.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 09:40 AM
#42 If you brag about traveling & picking the nation then you actually have to do it in a vehicle(Preferably a truck or van) not in a plane or in your mind. Unless your adding gas or diesel to the tank you are not doing *****!
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:52 PM
#43 Verify facts/stories told about something you buy before you pass them on.

#44 If a deal seems too good to be true ask more questions. Is the seller on the up and up or a thief trying to off-load stolen stuff?

#45 If you buy multiples of an item you may have hit a goldmine, but remember demand and value will likely decrease if you flood the market.

#46 If you feel the need to buy up every deal at an event but then make all the profit from each item, you hurt yourself in the long run. Spreading the opportunity around comes back 10 fold.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 12:57 PM
#47 - it's 'I saw that', not 'I seen that' (ESPECIALLY if you're from Canada)
#48 - your items are 'FOR SALE', they're not 'FOR SELL'
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 04:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Bbburke

DB. Size does matter. I don't care what she says!!! Perfect... Bigger doesn't

Make it more valuable. On the other hand, that big one will get you a bunch

of extra attention if you display it in the right place. Plus, Everyone around town

will be talking about how huge it is and telling their friends to check it out.

A Large size might make a bigger impression but fewer places to use, there will always be more places a Smaller Size will be acceptable, even cherished.
A Large item needs a Large area to be filled. While a smaller size will allow the owner to be coveted by Several Inside, instead of being regulated to the Barn or outside.
Posted By: Nubbers123 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 05:33 PM
Don't use the word decorate, or any variation. Especially if DB is watching.

Don't argue about the comments you get here, these guys know what they are talking about. Just learn from it.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 06:25 PM
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
#47 - it's 'I saw that', not 'I seen that' (ESPECIALLY if you're from Canada)
#48 - your items are 'FOR SALE', they're not 'FOR SELL'

Hmm Mark just want to juxtapose your 47th and 48th Commandment with this recent quote
.I seen Wes Hague had some Red Indian signs for sell...
Now I imagine your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek but it is hard to see on print! LOL
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 06:32 PM
Thanks to moderators for DELETING "Negative" posts!

I believe this an "open-forum".

Hen
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 07:30 PM
#49 Dont take anything that Dick says too seriously...
Posted By: gasmelincelr Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:20 PM
Don't buy anything from this guy.

Attached picture thAZJ5H6MR.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 08:49 PM
To be a Good Picker, you have to be in Charge as a Commandant would & make Good Dissensions, Not a Soldier that does as he is told [private get up there & stop a Bullet].

Not as 5+ Billion Followers [in Any language] that Read & Can't follow Their "1-10 Commandments". IF You really believe it's better there, why isn't there a Line waiting to get in?
Posted By: BryceG Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 09:02 PM
just checked in... good stuff here and actually some decent advise for new flippers entering the scene... seems my commandment got deleted. whoops... smile
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Fri Aug 15 2014 11:37 PM
DB forgot one of his own commandments that he stated along time ago on here:
#51 If you find an ace, whether it be a rare pump, globe or sign, don't run out and tell all of your buddies about it until its removed from the farm and sitting at your house. People are very good listeners.

Goober
Posted By: MARK SMITH Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:12 AM
Keep picking pickers! Bring the old good stuff out so we can see or buy it! Thanks pickers for all you do!
Posted By: Keystone Gas Man Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:34 AM
#52... "Be careful the stuff pickers may bring you to sell is not hot".... This happened to a collector here in my town..But he returned the stuff to the owner..Because it made the news and the theft was on video. PS: NO it wasn't me. lol
Posted By: coheley5 Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 12:59 PM
53 don't ever walk up to where I am selling and say that there is no meat left on the bone, at that point it's a no sale at any price.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 01:13 PM
The Pickers are really in some of your heads. Comical.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 01:18 PM
#54..Stop trying to get more attention for your item by putting scantly clad women in your photos.Having your item held up next to a girls large breasts isn't helping you sell anything other than how stupid you both look.Your item should stand on it's own and not need mammary glands to sell.You may be a 19 year old challenged boy,but we're not.

#55..Don't try to justify your asking price by referencing you recently saw an item similar to the one you are offering for sale,as having sold for as much or even more on ebay or a cable channel show.That's not a credible source of reference and only makes you look even more ridiculous.

#56..Don't boast & brag that you're a picker or flipper.That's not something to boast & brag about,especially right when you're offering something for sale to someone.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 03:24 PM
Don't offer $3 for a can marked $5, Can Just might get Stomped to $3 offer!
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sat Aug 16 2014 09:55 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Don't offer $3 for a can marked $5, Can Just might get Stomped to $3 offer!

Dunno Dick, I have to disagree. If you'd said, "Don't offer $1 for a can marked $5" I would could see the stomping by someone who's got tons of money like you. smile

I've been offered far less for far more, and just tell guys "It's a fair price, seems you can't afford it, you'll have to look elsewhere." I'm not sitting on thousands of cans to waste my inventory on skin flints.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sun Aug 17 2014 02:43 AM
#57 Always present the offer that if you can purchase the item , that you will offer it back to them first if you ever want or need to sell the item , and keep your word in doing so . Lots of items that normally would continue to rot down on a farm or fence row can be saved this way . But...... stand behind what you say and hold to it like you should.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sun Aug 17 2014 02:51 AM
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING TONIGHT?
Originally Posted By: 47reo-travis
#57 Always present the offer that if you can purchase the item , that you will offer it back to them first if you ever want or need to sell the item , and keep your word in doing so . Lots of items that normally would continue to rot down on a farm or fence row can be saved this way . But...... stand behind what you say and hold to it like you should.

That's no good as a Picker. When you sell you TRY to make a Profit & the Farmer ain't gonna go for it [He'd rather Scrap it than pay extra for something that started out as His!].
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Sun Aug 17 2014 03:28 AM
Lol ,only unsweetened tea ....Your probably right DB , most buyers today it seems are in it for the $ . Tv has them brainwashed for sure . Everyone wants to make 6 figures like the shows , most likely don't care about persevering or saving. We need a van hippie van DB ,we could start our own series.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: A Few Commandants for Wanta Be Pickers - Mon Aug 18 2014 08:43 PM
This thread started out " a few commandments" and it's up to 57 numbers and some junk/gunk. Can one of you mod's throw this in file 13? Just a bunch of ...... u name it....
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk