Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: dooger54 Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Mon Oct 20 2014 01:50 PM
Bought a repainted oil can yesterday at Peotone. It needs some cosmetic repair/paint. Anyone know what color of automotive touch-up paint would match best with the red and green?

Thanks!

Attached picture IMG_1544.JPG
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Mon Oct 20 2014 01:58 PM
You would need to know the paint codes used when the can was repainted. Take the can to a paint supply store, match the colors up using their color books.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Mon Oct 20 2014 11:40 PM
Yep, you need auto paint chips from an auto paint store to match.
Posted By: dooger54 Re: Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Tue Oct 21 2014 12:44 AM
I understand that but it's just not practical in this situation. I have $100 in this and it makes no sense to go to that expense. I was just hoping to find a close match in a car paint touch-up bottle. Oh well.
Posted By: bowserman Re: Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Tue Oct 21 2014 01:04 AM
Originally Posted By: dooger54
I understand that but it's just not practical in this situation. I have $100 in this and it makes no sense to go to that expense. I was just hoping to find a close match in a car paint touch-up bottle. Oh well.

Yes they can get you touch up paint through color match. I believe that is what the guys are trying to tell you.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Touch up paint for Sinclair colors - Sun Oct 26 2014 06:34 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant. A lot of auto paint stores will mix as small as half pints you can use for touch-ups. My old paint place would do quarter pints when I asked nicely!

I've had some success mixing pin striping paints (one shot brand) at home to come up with custom touch-ups, but that's really hit and miss, you would think it be easy to blend colors to match but its not!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk